Match Thread Match thread - F a cup 3rd round - Bristol Rovers (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Am i the only one who just wants this game out of the way and move on to the next league game. For me this cup whilst good for the purse is a distraction and potential negative impact on our promotion challenge. The longer it goes on the more chance of injuries to key players and tiredness with the squad. There is also the risk of potential postponed games putting us further down the league with games in hand that arnt always guaranteed points putting pressure on the team
Then how come we were all shitting ourselves when everyone else had games in hand?

better days

Actually I suspect this shows we are taking this game seriously and will play our strongest team
It's a calculated gamble on getting through and getting a big team in the next round to raise much needed funds
The fringe players are likely to be involved in the U23 games on Monday and Friday

Sky Blue Harry H

Ogogo confirmed as out, plus forward Tyler Smith out for kicking a mystery object in training, out of frustration (when it rains, it pours!)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I can never get my head round the phrase "rest such-and-such player etc"! Fook me! They are supposed to be fit lads - young lads at that! I used to play on a Friday night (5-a-side), full game on Saturday, and if I was needed, another game on a Sunday morning! I didn't stop playing until I was 45 years old and then did 12 months as a ref! Too much cotton wool wrapping these days! Get 'em out there to play! That's what they're paid to do!

W

westcountry_skyblue

Just to let travelling fans know the M32 in Bristol is closed both ways between junctions 1 and 2 at the moment following a 5 car collision last night.
Not sure how long for so check for updates lads and lasses!! PUSB

Sammy

I think we play our strongest team. Even though injuries can happen at anytime, this could mean a slight increase risk today eg the more games players play the higher chance of getting an injury. However the team will rest during the week, so they should still be in reasonable good condition for Saturday. I trust MR to know the fitness condition of his players and when to rest some of them. I would agree we could bring in Pask, Mason, Allen to start without weakening the team too much and O’hare on after 55 mins for Shiperly.

SBAndy

I can never get my head round the phrase "rest such-and-such player etc"! Fook me! They are supposed to be fit lads - young lads at that! I used to play on a Friday night (5-a-side), full game on Saturday, and if I was needed, another game on a Sunday morning! I didn't stop playing until I was 45 years old and then did 12 months as a ref! Too much cotton wool wrapping these days! Get 'em out there to play! That's what they're paid to do!

Fatigue is a real thing. With the pace of the game nowadays it is more about injury prevention than the players “not being fit enough”. I would expect that aerobically most could play a game every day of the week but if they overexert they may end up with muscular/joint problems. Resting is sensible enough, and our squad feels deep enough to cope with rotation nowadays. I’d also be looking at Mason, Pask, Allen and O’Hare in but wouldn’t want to change too much. Think we will win by a tighter margin than in the last 2 games.

Monty

For everyone travelling down to Bristol today please note the M32 is closed j2 to j1. That is the link motorway into Bristol from the m4

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Intensity in modern pro football is much different both physically and mentally, plus with it being pro it's also about money so as a coach and player you've got to consider the offset of one game against many.

Of course they're capable of it, but would they be able to play at that high level all the way through? Shipley often looks knackered after an hour, but fit for the next game. You can open up little injuries which then don't have the rest time to repair, they get aggravated and suddenly players are out for weeks or more purely due to insufficient recuperation.

hill83

Never wore seat belts either I bet.

torchomatic

Easy journey down. Got somewhere to park half a mile from ground. Be disappointed if we don't score at least four...

JulianDarbyFTW

I think the old adage of not changing a winning team is right - we have momentum on our side. These guys must feel invincible right now.

Users who are viewing this thread