Mask or no mask? (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Went in the shop earlier and some bloke with gloves and a mask on trying to pay on his phone but realising he couldn't unlock his phone to pay.

Fucking knobhead.

Nick

Administrator
Was that his screen unlock password?

He just took his glove off, unlocked his phone and paid and then put his glove back on.

Clearly the type to go home and sit in his gloves and not change them to post pictures on Facebook of how protected he is.

OffenhamSkyBlue

There was some dopey twat on our village Facebook site saying they are disposing of some bedding "if anyone is making masks"!
I urged people to think again. Fucking home-made cotton masks, FFS?
As has been said early in this thread, PHE do not advise the general public to wear masks other than in specific circumstances (e.g. they are caring for a vulnerable relative who they live with). You MIGHT need them in SOME workplace scenarios where you can't maintain the 2m rule, but this should be based on a risk assessment and instruction from your employer.
That advice may yet change based on evidence as it emerges (but as David says, that research is not gospel), but in my view, it won't while there is such a shortage of masks for people who genuinely need them (e.g. NHS staff). What happened to the government reinforcing the message to CATCH IT in a tissue? You don't see people doing that, although they're scrubbing their hands till they bleed (again with no understanding of how or why!).
I see a few people wearing disposable gloves while going round the supermarket, but they then handle their car door handles, purse/wallet and their phone still with the gloves on, so they clearly have no idea what they are meant to be protecting.
And the people wearing random masks are just laughable - there is NO WAY that most of them are worn in such a way as to protect them.

(Incidentally, i train people in the correct use of PPE including masks, and am providing advice on a daily basis to the large organisation that employs me).

Ian1779

So if you do wear a mask - are you actually protecting yourself from other people’s germs, or just stopping you spreading your germs to someone else?

OffenhamSkyBlue

So if you do wear a mask - are you actually protecting yourself from other people’s germs, or just stopping you spreading your germs to someone else?
Potentially a bit of both! It was initially advised that patients with Covid-19 should be asked to wear a mask to prevent the spread of the droplets, which is what the fluid-resistant surgical masks (FRSMs) are intended to do (and the reason why surgical teams wear them in operating theatres). Now they are saying that NHS workers in close contact with patients should be wearing FRSMs to protect themselves from becoming infected. This is not what they were intended for, and in my view, it is questionable whether they will provide the same level of protection as well-fitting white "cup-shaped" respirators (FFP3 in technical parlance). I suspect they are getting desperate as they have no supplies of FFP3 masks so are saying that they can get away with FRSMs. FFP3s are being used in clinical settings when they are conducting "aerosol-generating procedures" such as intubation.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Oh fuck off, whatever you claim to have saw in a park today will gave nowt to do with todays figures

I think he was saying people's behaviour today will be twice as bad as yesterday rather than it affecting the 'figures'. If it does affect the figures we won't see it for two weeks or so as infections take hold of people and then their treatment over the following days.

Gazolba

Otis

OffenhamSkyBlue

Where do you work? The problem with this type of mask (well, i say problem singular!!) is that the exhalation valve (the perforated bit just below the vision panel) is a one-way thing. So it may protect the wearer (provided the inward air filter at the bottom is of the correct type for particles), but if they have corona, that could escape from the exhalation valve and infect others.

Terry Gibson's perm

Where do you work? The problem with this type of mask (well, i say problem singular!!) is that the exhalation valve (the perforated bit just below the vision panel) is a one-way thing. So it may protect the wearer (provided the inward air filter at the bottom is of the correct type for particles), but if they have corona, that could escape from the exhalation valve and infect others.

Ups I am not sure if was wearing it as a joke but he only wore it one day

Gazolba

Medical consensus? So why are the WHO Not saying that at all?
I should have qualified that with 'in the USA'.
I wouldn't rely on anything the WHO says.
You can have the virus and not show any symptoms!
The social distancing guideline of 6 feet is inadequate since droplets can travel much further (up to 20 feet).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread