Mark Robins (1 Viewer)

Ring Of Steel

No I said that you equated managerial success to trophies won and promotions so managers like Allardyce are by your definition worse than Robins
You already made a bit of a prat of yourself yesterday on this- I already grew tired of your anti-Robins stance, weird rhetoric & theories in attempting to prove that Robins ain’t actually all that, and your refusal to name anyone who’s done better for us. So I’ll leave you to hero worship Stephen Pressley, Micky Adams & Sam Allardyce :emoji_thumbsup:

Ring Of Steel

And if we didn’t sack Eric Black’s arse we’d be arguing whether we should rest Godden for the Super Cup...
I did indeed wear black at that game v Palace after he got the boot, but only as my home shirt got ripped to shreds by the dog the night before.

Evo1883

You already made a bit of a prat of yourself yesterday on this- I already grew tired of your anti-Robins stance, weird rhetoric & theories in attempting to prove that Robins ain’t actually all that, and your refusal to name anyone who’s done better for us. So I’ll leave you to hero worship Stephen Pressley, Micky Adams & Sam Allardyce :emoji_thumbsup:

I remember when pressley had to build his own team after Robins team all moved on and the football was that good the fans were shining their phone torches at each other at the ricoh for entertainment ... Great Times

Ring Of Steel

This thread, in summary:

Poster 1:
"Positive sentiment re: Mark Robins and his actual, current performance. I think he's one of the best managers we've had"

Poster 2:
"Your opinion is wrong based on comparisons with managers that were generally awful here and at other clubs"

Poster 1:
"OK. Which managers do you think performed better than Mark Robins?"

Poster 2:
"Robins spent money. Pressley didn't."

Poster 1:
"OK, but which managers do you think performed better than Mark Robins?

Poster 2:
"Mickey Adams finished 8th, once!"

Repeat for far too many pages. Very funnny to watch how much convoluted sh*te folks can come up with to avoid having the balls to either offer their own opinion or admit they're wrong!

actually the other guy was good too- Van Damme or whatever he calls himself, spending ages saying how Robins hasn’t actually done anything proper or meaningful, then saying that 8th in the Championship is better than promotion from League Two, like they give medals out for being 20 points+ outside the playoffs and actual, real promotions and cups don’t count.

PVA

Yeah yeah big lolz.

Without projecting, what do you think that data tells you?

It shows that we were a newly relegated team with a bunch of players still on League One wages.

Yes we probably performed below expectations relative to wage bill that season. But we got promoted.
I'm quite certain we outperformed expectations relative to wage bill last season, and we definitely are this season.

Liquid Gold

It shows that we were a newly relegated team with a bunch of players still on League One wages.

Yes we probably performed below expectations relative to wage bill that season. But we got promoted.
I'm quite certain we outperformed expectations relative to wage bill last season, and we definitely are this season.
I think that’s a fair assessment.

Ring Of Steel

Yeah yeah big lolz.

Without projecting, what do you think that data tells you?

Absolutely nothing. It is irrelevant. Robins achieved promotion, Pressley, Adams & the rest of the guys you seem to idolise did not.

If you were telling me we were paying £20k more per week than all the rest then you might have had some kind of point (but that point would not have been to pretend Adams did not secure promotion), but the difference between us and the others is a couple of hundred quid, and distorted by some players who were still on League One wages.

When the question at hand is whether or not Mark Robins is up there with our most successful managers, and you are putting up how much Lincoln & Chesterfield paid their players in League Two to try to disprove that fact, I think you will have to concede that this 'data', while maybe of some use with regard to a different topic (eg "Should we have gone up automatically?"), is an irrelevance here.

Ring Of Steel

It would be interesting to see the comparison stats for last season & this season in League One to compare against. However that is unlikely to be produced because it would not fit the agenda of discrediting Mark Robins' achievements.

Ultimately, Adams, Pressley and the rest achieved precisely nothing, not a single thing, Robins has had just as much upheaval & uncertainty, not batted an eyelid and produced one promotion, a season of strong stability and is now pushing for another promotion. Could also argue a cup win.

Case closed, m'lud.

Liquid Gold

Absolutely nothing. It is irrelevant. Robins achieved promotion, Pressley, Adams & the rest of the guys you seem to idolise did not.

If you were telling me we were paying £20k more per week than all the rest then you might have had some kind of point (but that point would not have been to pretend Adams did not secure promotion), but the difference between us and the others is a couple of hundred quid, and distorted by some players who were still on League One wages.

When the question at hand is whether or not Mark Robins is up there with our most successful managers, and you are putting up how much Lincoln & Chesterfield paid their players in League Two to try to disprove that fact, I think you will have to concede that this 'data', while maybe of some use with regard to a different topic (eg "Should we have gone up automatically?"), is an irrelevance here.
I SAID NO PROJECTING YOU FUCKING LUNATIC

clint van damme

actually the other guy was good too- Van Damme or whatever he calls himself, spending ages saying how Robins hasn’t actually done anything proper or meaningful, then saying that 8th in the Championship is better than promotion from League Two, like they give medals out for being 20 points+ outside the playoffs and actual, real promotions and cups don’t count.

It's a simple premise,the higher up the league pyramid you fi ish the more successful your season.
Something I had to explain regularly to Leicester supporters who used to claim getting to the play off was better than finishing mid table In the prem
And I didn't spend ages, it was one post. You don't half make yourself look foolish.
Especially as most of my comments regarding Robins have nothing but praise for the man.

Ring Of Steel

I SAID NO PROJECTING YOU FUCKING LUNATIC

He said, after trying to imply that because we paid £217 more than the next highest team in League Two, we are overestimating Mark Robins' achievements to date.

Talk about going to extreme lengths to try and disprove a point that is indisputable based on facts.

Liquid Gold

He said, after trying to imply that because we paid £217 more than the next highest team in League Two, we are overestimating Mark Robins' achievements to date.

Talk about going to extreme lengths to try and disprove a point that is indisputable based on facts.
What do you think I'm trying to prove/disprove?

Ring Of Steel

It's a simple premise,the higher up the league pyramid you fi ish the more successful your season.
Something I had to explain regularly to Leicester supporters who used to claim getting to the play off was better than finishing mid table In the prem
And I didn't spend ages, it was one post. You don't half make yourself look foolish.
Especially as most of my comments regarding Robins have nothing but praise for the man.

I look forward to seeing the "8th place in the Championship" trophy someday.

shmmeee

This is a terrible methodology. I could fluke my way into a Premiership job, lose every game, finish bottom and according to you I’d be a better manager than 72 others in the EFL.

Ring Of Steel

What do you think I'm trying to prove/disprove?
Why don't you tell me, seeing as the naysayers are point blank refusing to actually name a manager who has done more for our club than Mark Robins apart from 'the big two'. Question stands- if we went up this year tell me three managers who would have achieved more bearing in mind the circumstances.

Liquid Gold

This is a terrible methodology. I could fluke my way into a Premiership job, lose every game, finish bottom and according to you I’d be a better manager than 72 others in the EFL.
To be fair I agree with you on this. I much more enjoyed our league two season than I did finishing 17th again. Winning games and enjoying it is a lot more important that just scraping by.

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

I look forward to seeing the "8th place in the Championship" trophy someday.

So let me get this right if by some miracle we finish 8th in the Championship next season then you think finishing 6th in League 2 would be a better achievement because we got promoted?

We may as well just stay in League One then as I don’t think we’re getting promoted into the Premier League anytime soon

Ring Of Steel

Les Reid & Chris Hutchings absolutely love this methodology, they're actually better managers than Marcelo Bielsa didn't you know?

SlowerThanPlatt

And we can only be successful in the Championship by winning a trophy or getting promoted?

Robins has his work cut out then as I don’t think that’s very likely

Grendel

Not necessarily but it does at least take us back to the actual discussion on stats.

If you look coldly at stats of managers across divisions you’d look at someone like Gordon Milne and he looks average

Reality is he kept the club in the top flight against the odds season after season and gave the club its most exciting season in my memory

He couldn’t get promoted, couldn’t win a cup where only lower league teams played or get a Wembley appearance in a play off as he was too good to manage a team at that level

Grendel

Why don't you tell me, seeing as the naysayers are point blank refusing to actually name a manager who has done more for our club than Mark Robins apart from 'the big two'. Question stands- if we went up this year tell me three managers who would have achieved more bearing in mind the circumstances.

I have. I’ve listed about 6

Users who are viewing this thread