Make or Break (1 Viewer)

ccfc1234

Many people may look curiously at the title of this thread so I will address it to begin. We are currently having the mother of all slumps and are loosing to teams far weaker on paper than the ones we are due to face this month.
However this is actually the make or break month of our 15/16 promotion push. IF we loose our next 4 games we will be finished BUT if we manage to win 3 and draw 1, it will be game on big time and the Ricoh would be busy again for some huge make or break games.

I am a cautious optimist but hate pessimism. While our form is enough to make you want Prozac we still have a chance and I really think if we can click again like we did early season we can start winning big matches.

n.b Have kept my counsel on TM situation, but I think should we finish with a whimper he needs to go.

shepardo01

Many people may look curiously at the title of this thread so I will address it to begin. We are currently having the mother of all slumps and are loosing to teams far weaker on paper than the ones we are due to face this month.
However this is actually the make or break month of our 15/16 promotion push. IF we loose our next 4 games we will be finished BUT if we manage to win 3 and draw 1, it will be game on big time and the Ricoh would be busy again for some huge make or break games.

I am a cautious optimist but hate pessimism. While our form is enough to make you want Prozac we still have a chance and I really think if we can click again like we did early season we can start winning big matches.

n.b Have kept my counsel on TM situation, but I think should we finish with a whimper he needs to go.

That would give us 66pts. Bradford in sixth are on 64pts NOW!

Season over.

bringbackrattles

Like your optimism but just can't see it happening myself. But listening to Armstrong on the phone-in tonight he was really upbeat,and he seems to think the team can get the wins needed to make a final push.You do need confidence without doubt but there's none being shown on the pitch is there ?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Winning every game left will more than likely not be enough.

SkyBlueRuffian

I feel if TM wants to keep his job then he needs to get his team fighting until the end, whether that'll be enough to go up, I don't know? But it would at least show us he is still capable of motivating his men.

Nick

Administrator
I feel if TM wants to keep his job then he needs to get his team fighting until the end, whether that'll be enough to go up, I don't know? But it would at least show us he is still capable of motivating his men.
Exactly, if we lose and give it 100% and fight to the death it's much better than losing the way we keep doing

Otis

Winning every game left will more than likely not be enough.
Might well not be.

I would say we would need to win 6 out of the last 7 to be in with even a sniff of a chance.

I think we should now just forget about the play-offs and go out and just try and enjoy ourselves.

Let's see if we can halt this appalling slide.

A team that has been in the horrendous run we have isn't just going to turn a series of defeats into 6 wins out of 7.

Let's just try and play with a bit of freedom, introduce a couple of promising youngsters and look towards next season.

4waspsting

Try not to be a dreamer again please

Gazolba

SkyBet currently has us 40-1 to get promoted, the same odds as Southend and Rochdale. We are 14-1 for a top-6 finish. Rochdale and Southend are 12-1.

stupot07

I put some money on a bottom half finish at 3/1 and current form and a tough rub in, it seems like printing money.....wikk be happy to lose the money if we can finish strongly

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

shepardo01

There would still be 3 more games after that

....and in order for that to be of any relevance, all of the teams above us would have to pick up virtually zero points in the next 4 games to leave us still in with a shout with those 3 games left.... and that is provided we win three and draw one of our next four. We have only won 4 in the last 22 and just failed to score at home against a team that has shipped nigh on 90 goals this season.
This has been THE most depressing run I can remember. ( my first game was in 1985)

Hobo

The best footballers don't talk results, they deliver results.

ccfc1234

....and in order for that to be of any relevance, all of the teams above us would have to pick up virtually zero points in the next 4 games to leave us still in with a shout with those 3 games left.... and that is provided we win three and draw one of our next four. We have only won 4 in the last 22 and just failed to score at home against a team that has shipped nigh on 90 goals this season.
This has been THE most depressing run I can remember. ( my first game was in 1985)

I think the only thing in our favor is we play all the teams above us so the chance to make ground increases significantly.
This is a good football predictor where you can only choose to predict the teams you care about, with it automating the others based on form.

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/calculator0.php?Competition=3

Otis

I think the only thing in our favor is we play all the teams above us so the chance to make ground increases significantly.

Well yeah, but after losing to Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, you would have thought the last thing we would want to be doing is be playing the very best teams in the league.

skybluelee

Tend to agree. Another contender would be the 1 win in 21 during the second half of the 02/03 season that took us from play-offs to almost being relegated.

Sure is great being a City fan.

Sky Blue Kid

Know what you mean mate, but we've been whimpering for the last 4 months :(

rupert_bear

We have to win all our games to give us a chance which included beating 4 of our rivals, not impossible but unlikely, we are not a good team any more, having said that it isn't beyond us to go to Gillingham today and win. Think I'll stick that on my accumulator bet.

Mr T - Sukka!

Its really all over, give it up. Its no good saying we are only 8 points off blah blah blah.
Even if we did win a few others will win too. the gap is too big and we are shite. The run we are on is set in now and will continue until the end of the season no doubt about it.

Why is the team so negative, weak? They have no fight and that should be looked at.

People who say will can still make it are similar to the ones who say Villa can still stay up as they have 7 games left and 21 points to play for. Villa will go down City will miss out on the play offs. That's what's going to happen. There is NO other conclusion.

RegTheDonk

We have had our chances. Time and again this season, we've bottled it when the opportunity was there.

I see nothing to make me believe almost half a dozen other teams will self destruct, along with us actually winning the required games.

Won't happen.

Otis

We have had our chances. Time and again this season, we've bottled it when the opportunity was there.

I see nothing to make me believe almost half a dozen other teams will self destruct, along with us actually winning the required games.

Won't happen.
I think we kidded ourselves too a bit. I know I did.

After Gillingham when we kept drawing games and only managed the odd win here and there, a lot of us thought it was okay as we weren't losing and the wins would be just around the corner.

It wasn't a good run of form, but we weren't losing either and I think that gave a bit of false hope.

It was only when the draws and the odd win here and there, suddenly became draws and a number of defeats, that it really sank in.

I knew the minute we dropped out of the top 6 that, that would almost certainly be it. After so long in the top 6, coming out of it must have been a massive hammer blow to the club.

We're not getting back in there barring a miracle.

It doesn't matter if we now win 5 in a row. What we would also need is for the teams that have been flying to now all have a bad dip in form too.

Being 10th means we have to overtake 4 teams, so we would be hoping and praying that 4 teams all fail.

As I said on another thread, we should just go out and play with a bit of freedom, without pressure, but also use this opportunity to blood a couple of youngsters, am especially thinking of the likes of Stevenson and maybe Harries or Sambou.

Last edited:

Otis

Stupot kept mentioning the fact that we were dropping points all those months back, but because we weren't losing, a fair few people called him negative, but he was indeed proved right.

I do find it slightly bemusing that after so many months of a downward trend and our not scoring goals and our sliding down the table, that some still believe we have a chance of making the play-offs.

It is now a monumental task and would be so even for a side in red hot form, let alone one like ourselves losing games, shipping in goals and not scoring.

I do think we may well win today, but I fear the 3 games after we will suffer badly (Wigan, Millwall and Bradford).

Last edited:

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Stupot kept mentioning the fact that we were dropping points all those months back, but because we weren't losing, a fair few people called him negative, but he was indeed proved right.

I do find it slightly bemusing that after so many months of a downward trend and our not scoring goals and our sliding down the table, that some still believe we have a chance of making the play-offs.

It is now a monumental task and would be so even for a side in red hot form, let alone one like ourselves losing games, shipping in goals and not scoring.

I do think we may well win today, but I fear the 3 games after we will suffer badly (Wigan, Millwall and Bradford).

If we had hung on v Swindon away, Oldham at home and those 2 howlers to concede 2 v Donny that's 6 points that were pretty inexcusably thrown away.

Nick

Administrator

Exactly.

Laughable really people failed to see that we weren't offering anything and our performances. "You can't moan we are 4th, you can't moan we are 5th, you can't moan we are 6th, you can't moan we are 3 points off playoffs, you can't moan we are 6 points off playoffs@

Otis

Exactly.

Laughable really people failed to see that we weren't offering anything and our performances. "You can't moan we are 4th, you can't moan we are 5th, you can't moan we are 6th, you can't moan we are 3 points off playoffs, you can't moan we are 6 points off playoffs@
And if we finish 16th that's so much better than 17th! ;)

Otis

If we had hung on v Swindon away, Oldham at home and those 2 howlers to concede 2 v Donny that's 6 points that were pretty inexcusably thrown away.
Those 2 goals against Doncaster were particularly shocking. Just dreadful defending, handing the opposition the goals on a plate.

Warwickhunt

Well yeah, but after losing to Colchester, Scunthorpe, Rochdale, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury, you would have thought the last thing we would want to be doing is be playing the very best teams in the league.
Well at least we won't have to play against the shite teams that just park the bus knowing we cannot break them down! You never know their over confidence may leave the door open for us to score a goal which would lift the confidence. If we had scored the penalty last Saturday we would have won that game.

Otis

Well at least we won't have to play against the shite teams that just park the bus knowing we cannot break them down! You never know their over confidence may leave the door open for us to score a goal which would lift the confidence. If we had scored the penalty last Saturday we would have won that game.
And if we hadn't have let those two stupid goals in against Doncaster and if RCC hadn't have completely fluffed that cross against Sheff Utd. and if Phillips hadn't have chested that ball back straight to a Burton player in our own six yard box and if we had put all those chances away against Peterborough and if Fleck hadn't have given that stupid penalty away against Rochdale and if we hadn't let that really late goal go in against Oldham and against Port Vale and if we had hung on against Walsall and ........

oucho

I like the OP's optimism and I share it, but I'm not surprised to see him/her bombarded with "no chance" , "season's over" etc etc

rupert_bear

What niggles me more than anything is the neglect from the management. It became obvious before the January transfer window even opened we needed another maybe even two strikers, Armstrong was never going carry on with his goal spree and also as a striker he was on his own, players were signed plenty of them, Rose, Hunt, Lorenzen, Cole, Ramage, Stephens but no strikers and when at the last minute we got Darius Henderson it took weeks to play him despite the lack of goals. Am I wrong ?

italiahorse

What niggles me more than anything is the neglect from the management. It became obvious before the January transfer window even opened we needed another maybe even two strikers, Armstrong was never going carry on with his goal spree and also as a striker he was on his own, players were signed plenty of them, Rose, Hunt, Lorenzen, Cole, Ramage, Stephens but no strikers and when at the last minute we got Darius Henderson it took weeks to play him despite the lack of goals. Am I wrong ?

If I was Sisu I would have worked within budget until Xmas.
A. If limited chance of promotion then stay within budget for the rest of season.
B. If there is a good chance then put money and give it a punt.

The team did A and Sisu did B.

They need to go.

Nick

Administrator
If I was Sisu I would have worked within budget until Xmas.
A. If limited chance of promotion then stay within budget for the rest of season.
B. If there is a good chance then put money and give it a punt.

The team did A and Sisu did B.

They need to go.

Put money as in bringing in about 5 or 6 new faces?

lifeskyblue

The loans and signings pre January were exciting...not sure always what we were getting but all delivered above expectation. In January we got has beens and also rans; predictable and uninspiring (ok we did hope Cole might give us something special) and they didn't deliver to expectation.
Why didn't TM continue with his previous policy of giving up and coming junior England players a run out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread