Match Thread Luton Town vs. Coventry City Match Thread - Sunday 24th Feb (1 Viewer)

pusbccfc

Robins needs to go on the attack like last season.

There's no reason, if we can take are chances, that we can't beat them.

Our pace on the counter will cause them problems.

SkyBlueCRJ

If Stockdale is in goal and Willis does a job on Collins like he did on Cook last weekend, I can see us getting at least a point.

It won't be as easy as that I'm afraid. What arguably makes Luton such a threat is that anyone in their team can score. Collins has scored around a 3rd of their league goals but a near 40 of them have been shared out between the rest of the squad (mainly their midfield).

Mr Panda

Aren't they something silly like 20 games unbeaten? We can't expect to win here as we're on two completely different levels in terms of our journey/development.

I feel like our only bit of hope is if we get an early goal and test the tactical knowledge/bottle of their former head of recruitment currently occupying the managers seat. But even that is a long shot because that team is just so well drilled. Best team to visit the Ricoh this season.

covboy1987

if they are as strong as they were at the Ricoh, which was men v boys, we'll get thumped.

Coventry 1 Luton 2 -

Below stats look pretty even - We also had a shot that was clearly 1 yard over the line and should have been a goal

Home52%
Away48%
Shots
Home8
Away13
Shots on Target
Home4
Away4
Corners
Home1
Away5
Fouls
Home17
Away16

Gibbo

Coventry 1 Luton 2 -

Below stats look pretty even - We also had a shot that was clearly 1 yard over the line and should have been a goal

Home52%
Away48%
Shots
Home8
Away13
Shots on Target
Home4
Away4
Corners
Home1
Away5
Fouls
Home17
Away16
They controlled the game. They re a physically big side, we looked like a bunch of teenagers. We were also set up as 4-5-1 with both Hiwula and Shipley on the left which failed from the first minute. They were always in control, even allowing for Hiwula's effort

Harry

Aren't they something silly like 20 games unbeaten? We can't expect to win here as we're on two completely different levels in terms of our journey/development.

I feel like our only bit of hope is if we get an early goal and test the tactical knowledge/bottle of their former head of recruitment currently occupying the managers seat. But even that is a long shot because that team is just so well drilled. Best team to visit the Ricoh this season.
Yep, 20 games, a new club record. Have to keep pinching myself - doesn't happen to teams like us

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I was there last year and we took them apart! Not changed their approach since even with the manager changing and i believe that they can be beaten by expansive patient football breaking through the middle

Hmm, think you might be remembering this too fondly. Was a really intriguing game and was absoluetly delighted with the win, but it was very well balanced. We won 0-3 because we took our chances not because we took them apart. If they had taken their chances we could easily have lost 3-0. Was one of those scorelines where it didn't tell the full story.

Harry

Moncur is the real danger in this game, looks class
Weird that Barnsley would off load him to us as promotion rivals. Peterborough have sort of done the same with Cummings who also looked class in the ten minutes he played a couple of games back. I could tell you how you can stop put a spanner in our works but will not let you into the secret :)

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Gives him a bigger audience to have a go at MR and his treatment of Doyle (no, it's got nothing at all to do with me not being offered a contract last season, honest)

Adge

I'd be happy with a draw, over the moon with a win.
Yep I’ll take a draw now and think most of us would. Hope I’m wrong but I’m going for a 3-0 reverse.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Very selective. In his last CWR commentary he praised MR for giving young players a chance, but I guess that doesn't fit neatly into your prejudices.

It was tongue in cheek. I know he did give some praise to MR (even though the tone sounded like it was being said begridgingly). Besides, I thought he analysis was OK, and better than some others they have on who just repeat the same point over and over again based on their idea of football from the 70's/80's or just say stuff like "come on, Sky Blues". Thanks for that insight - most illuminating.

Gint11

Love the optimism here but I can only see a comfortable home win. Hope I’m wrong.

lifeskyblue

Objectively can’t see us getting anything here but you just never know. So I will go with heart rather than head and go for a lucky 2-2 draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnwillomagic

I think we will have to be tigerish and ride our luck and be clinical when we get a chance a bit like when we won there 3-0 last season.
We played brilliantly that day and great away performance but that score definitely flattered us.....hopefully Stockdale can play.
If all fit we should be unchanged but would be tempted to start Meyler to add steel in midfield?

Team I would guess

Stockdale
Mason
Sterling
Willis
Hyam
Bayliss
Kelly
Thomas
Bright
Hiwula
Bakayoko

Subs: Addai, Davies, Grimmer, Shipley, Meyler, Wakefield, Westbrooke

Paxman II

Think it's one of them unexpected results but not too surprising. City win as we end Luton's run. We are a better side than the last time we faced them and look to be coming into good form.
1- 3 City

CanadianCCFC

Maybe a midfield three would help but I don’t know anything about how Luton play, only that they’re very good

Harry

Maybe a midfield three would help but I don’t know anything about how Luton play, only that they’re very good
Good result tonight mean we will definitely still be top on Sunday and have a five point advantage - and the 2nd 3rd and 4th still have to play each other and we don't. Luton play a bit of total football, you'll have fun trying to keep tabs on our wing backs, could be anywhere. Our centre forward is equally likely to be somewhere in the centre of defence. Just hope we don't play Hylton and Collins together up front - doesn't work as they both do the same thing

CanadianCCFC

Good result tonight mean we will definitely still be top on Sunday and have a five point advantage - and the 2nd 3rd and 4th still have to play each other and we don't. Luton play a bit of total football, you'll have fun trying to keep tabs on our wing backs, could be anywhere. Our centre forward is equally likely to be somewhere in the centre of defence. Just hope we don't play Hylton and Collins together up front - doesn't work as they both do the same thing
Is your forum still as shite as it was in the summer?

Users who are viewing this thread