Lukas Jutkiewicz (2 Viewers)

Great_Expectations

I always rated him, although I wouldn’t describe him as an out and out target man. He was a really hard worker too and as others have mentioned one of the most unlucky with hitting the woodwork.

Really hard worker too - I actually think he’d work really well in our current formation.

I’m surprised to see the number of positive responses, as I always recall him being criticised. I think/hope he’ll get a good reception on Saturday and we’ll get one back from him in return.

Dan Crowley is a real talent too. And he seems to have rectified the attitude that was holding him back.

skybluegod

Clinghan was hardly drivel at that time and he wasted money on McDondald. If we had actually gone for someone like Robins, we would likely have stayed up and he would have attracted and brought in superior players.

Clingan was absolute shit. Massively overated due to a couple of decent free kicks.
He would not have attracted and signed superior players because the budget was non existent. We signed 3 players that summer and 2 of them were keepers.
Thorn was a dreadful manager. But no matter who the manager was that team was going to be relegated.

Sick Boy

Clingan was absolute shit. Massively overated due to a couple of decent free kicks.
He would not have attracted and signed superior players because the budget was non existent. We signed 3 players that summer and 2 of them were keepers.
Thorn was a dreadful manager. But no matter who the manager was that team was going to be relegated.

And yet the myth still continues to this day, he blew a 6 figure sum signing McDonald - reports had it in the region of £400,000.

The coventrian

Clinghan was hardly drivel at that time and he wasted money on McDondald. If we had actually gone for someone like Robins, we would likely have stayed up and he would have attracted and brought in superior players.
Clueless.
Did you go to any games that season?

Mcbean

i will never forget that penalty where he stood right angles from the ball then fuckin scuffed it missed the goal entirely - he only had one job

SlowerThanPlatt

Not saying we would have stayed up as we were mostly always clinging on every season but appointing a bloke like Thorn has to be the worst thing SISU have ever done on the football side of things. I bet he couldn’t believe his luck when he got offered the contract - it’s like us appointing Badlan now

SlowerThanPlatt

On a side note, how did Thorn actually fall into the job in the first place? Usually it goes to the assistant or first team coach, failing that someone coaching the reserves when the first team manager is sacked not the chief scout

SkyBlueCRJ

Not saying we would have stayed up as we were mostly always clinging on every season but appointing a bloke like Thorn has to be the worst thing SISU have ever done on the football side of things. I bet he couldn’t believe his luck when he got offered the contract - it’s like us appointing Badlan now

I think their financial brain ruled over their footballing brain (or lack there of) with the Thorn appointment. Don't forget a large proportion of the fanbase were calling for Thorn to be appointed. At the end of the day SISU just happily obliged because not only did it cut costs by appointing someone who probably would've been on half, if not a third of what most Championship managers would've be on at the time but they clearly thought they had found a hidden gem in Thorn. Although I'm not sure why. I met the guy a few times and whilst he was a nice bloke - even in conversation it was clear that he didn't have a clue how to manage properly.

Gibbo

He was just OK, but always put a shift in
...which is why he has had a reasonable career. He's played mainly, if not totally, in the Championship with 3 clubs, appearing regularly (unusual for a striker). He will have made some good money for the last 10 years or so from no more than average talent for the second tier. Well done him, I hope he has the next leg of life as well organised.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

On a side note, how did Thorn actually fall into the job in the first place? Usually it goes to the assistant or first team coach, failing that someone coaching the reserves when the first team manager is sacked not the chief scout

It was mainly cause Steve Harrison didn't want the gig, he was happy being a no.2 and there wasn't really anyone else. I think the backroom staff were thin at the time due to the cost cutting after Boothroyd left

pusbccfc

Should have been sent off.

win9nut

Pretty much, selling Juke, our top asset and goalscorer at the time, felt pretty depressing for me.

SISU, I believe have learnt lessons from that era, allowing football people decide footballing decisions in the last 3 years.
Reckon it's the main reason Robins came back, having control of the footballing side too! *

*Everything bar stadium issues.
Still reckon SISU had a few million on us going down...

ps1948

I think their financial brain ruled over their footballing brain (or lack there of) with the Thorn appointment. Don't forget a large proportion of the fanbase were calling for Thorn to be appointed. At the end of the day SISU just happily obliged because not only did it cut costs by appointing someone who probably would've been on half, if not a third of what most Championship managers would've be on at the time but they clearly thought they had found a hidden gem in Thorn. Although I'm not sure why. I met the guy a few times and whilst he was a nice bloke - even in conversation it was clear that he didn't have a clue how to manage properly.
The same footballing brains who brought in Russell Slade in 2016, when Robins was available. I think we'd have stayed up if Robins had come in earlier

SlowerThanPlatt

The same footballing brains who brought in Russell Slade in 2016, when Robins was available. I think we'd have stayed up if Robins had come in earlier

Robins actually got sacked that year by Scunthorpe, maybe he didn’t want another job so soon.

And Slade did have a decent rep tbf

Adge

Truth is he didn’t even want the job-was talked into it by the powers that be and like a tit went along with it. Just like he went along with it when orange Ken decided to sit on the bench and totally undermine him. Any self respecting individual would have resigned after that incident if they had anything about them.

chiefdave

Truth is he didn’t even want the job-was talked into it by the powers that be and like a tit went along with it. Just like he went along with it when orange Ken decided to sit on the bench and totally undermine him. Any self respecting individual would have resigned after that incident if they had anything about them.
Maybe that sort of interference is more common than we think. There was a documentary on QPR a few years ago and their owner was sending messages down to the bench during games telling the manager what to do. Wouldn't be surprised if its far more common than we hear about.

HerneBayGaz

I (think) I remember him winning a penalty at the Telegraph end of the ground, after running from the half-way line and being brought down. Looked absolutely knackered, but insisted on taking the penalty, which he blazed into Row Z. Again, not sure, but I think we went on to lose the game as well

It was against Reading. Had he scored would it have won us the game. Rumour has it they still looking for the ball...

Users who are viewing this thread