Lucy Letby (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I think that is an important point. The victims families must have their needs taken in account.

Im pretty much against the death penalty but this is the only angle that would persuade me otherwise and I'm surprised it took so long to be mentioned.

SlowerThanPlatt

Disturbing. The prosecution have set out a very strong stall IMO, defence blaming a failing unit (which, you think they’re going to need to show similar deaths on the watch of others)

SkyBlueCharlie9

Come on guys we don't want to go down the route of America. Appreciate this is horrific case but state murder is a very dangerous and rocky road to go down and few cases are 100%. We need to scientically study assess and evaluate why these people do these sort of things and use research to prevent it in future or tailor care/ psychiatric/ mental health / social system to try and identify patterns and screen and spot people like this before it happens. Not easy I appreciate. Surely we are a more advanced civilisation that doesn't need to resort to saying 'kill em'. In my eyes that is the easy way out for such evil/crazy/ill people anyway.
I wonder how many serial killers there are roaming in UK at any one time. We need to try and invest time and resources into catching them surely? If that means analysing existing ones then so be it.

Flying Fokker

I look into her eyes on pictures of her before being found out. She looks vacant. She won’t last long in prison. what was going through her mind? Control, hate, wanting to get caught? Who knows?

Grendel

I look into her eyes on pictures of her before being found out. She looks vacant. She won’t last long in prison. what was going through her mind? Control, hate, wanting to get caught? Who knows?

Beverly Allitt has served over 30 years. Ironically if she can convince she is now cured she can be paroled

SlowerThanPlatt

I mean that’s the system it works in other countries
My experience is that an accountable, remorseful and rehabilitated supported person guilty of crime can do a lot of good
I know you do lots of good work in prisons Pete and I commend you for that but would you be comfortable meeting Lucy?

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Gotta be one for the death list now surely. Can't see her lasting very long. I guess she will be segregated though? Even so. Will probably pull the plug on herself.

What an absolute c**t. The crimes are indescribable.

ajsccfc

Gotta be one for the death list now surely. Can't see her lasting very long. I guess she will be segregated though? Even so. Will probably pull the plug on herself.

What an absolute c**t. The crimes are indescribable.
I was reading the BBC's live update and got as far as the judge going over the case of each baby, even though it was fairly light in detail I had to stop at the first one. I'm not one for the death penalty generally but if ever I'd make an exception it's this

Sky Blue Pete

I know you do lots of good work in prisons Pete and I commend you for that but would you be comfortable meeting Lucy?
She is pretty unique in what she’s done
My annual report is out on Thursday from the prison I monitor and I expect those will be the questions the media are interested in

My answer would be the same with her as for the men I meet. We live in a society where punishment for crime means losing your freedom. Whilst in prison all but about 65 including now lucy letby will at some point be released back into the society they came from

Given that reality we need to work out a way of enabling them to be less at risk of criminal actions than when they went in.

Not linked with her of course but the current system is criminal (pun intended)

In answer to your question the staff at prison are phenomenal at treating individual prisoners as individuals and with respect and encouragement to serve their significant lengths of imprisonment meaningfully understanding their crime, being accountable for their actions, if necessary receiving treatment or courses for their perversion (in my prison) and of course becoming more human in an inhuman environment

If you stop to rank crimes by offensiveness you couldn’t do this and the prison would be very very unsafe

How do you rank sexual offences?
I know in prison sexual and crimes against children are clearly more evil than ‘normal’ crime but when all prisoners are in the prison for those crimes there’s a level of they are all criminals so should all be treated in the same way

So yep Imb members will meet her in prison and treat her in the same way as other prisoners in the establishment

On a personal level how can anyone do what she’s done and be ‘normal’??? As well as the victims families which I have no idea how they make sense or a life after what she’s done I feel for her parents who seem to be genuinely shocked at her guilt and they’ve listened to all the evidence

Such a shocking and sad situation for us as a nation and maybe as humans to comprehend

We are so capable of such kindness and compassion and such horror and unspeakable evil

Sky Blue Pete

And I do very little. I’m amazed at most of the staff who choose to put themselves in the position of working with people for and caring for and seeking the best for those in their care

Gobsmacked really

TomRad85

It’s the reality Tom
Prison population 95000
Prisoners who will never be released 68 or so
Yeh maybe reformed drug dealers can come out and do good but people who kill babies for a hobby have nothing to offer society.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

skybluecam

There’s something off about her, she doesn’t look like a real human. Doesn’t even seem to accept that she’s done it either (unless this is all a very deliberate act). Surely she gets diagnosed with a host of disorders when inside.

clint van damme

Completely impossible of course.

To be fair if you look at the work the FBI did at Quantico with serial killers they learnt a lot about these types of people.

The Robert Ressler book He who hunts monsters which influenced the Netflix series manhunter is worth a read.
Though it was more to do with identifying killers who were active than preventing them getting started in the first place

Sky Blue Pete

Yeh maybe reformed drug dealers can come out and do good but people who kill babies for a hobby have nothing to offer society.

Agreed and she won’t I’m sure ever be released

It’s not about reformed though it’s that it’s a fact that all but 70 will be released at some point. We can’t safely run prisons now

It’s so tough to read the evidence and do what the Scandinavians did in the 90’s. I fear populism will make it impossible to do what works for us all

TomRad85

To be fair if you look at the work the FBI did at Quantico with serial killers they learnt a lot about these types of people.

The Robert Ressler book He who hunts monsters which influenced the Netflix series manhunter is worth a read.
Though it was more to do with identifying killers who were active than preventing them getting started in the first place
Well exactly, book sounds interesting though, thanks for the recommendation.

TomRad85

Agreed and she won’t I’m sure ever be released

It’s not about reformed though it’s that it’s a fact that all but 70 will be released at some point. We can’t safely run prisons now

It’s so tough to read the evidence and do what the Scandinavians did in the 90’s. I fear populism will make it impossible to do what works for us all
We're on about Letby though, you're the one making it about populism somehow.

TomRad85

Sorry and ok are stick to the point
I only mention it as there are systems around the world that is based on evidence not emotion or vengeance
The fact that as you say there are only 70 people in this country that will not be released would suggest we aren't that harsh n sentencing would it not?

Grendel

Unlikely but of course you were goading
Is it a genuine question and would you like an answer?

Well in reality she cannot do any good as the state would have to spend vast amounts to change her identity or she will be found and dealt with

What good did Colin Pitchfork do? He lasted 8 weeks before he started stalking young women and was locked back up.

What good has David Mcgready done out of interest - made some iron railings? What has he done?

Grendel

The fact that as you say there are only 70 people in this country that will not be released would suggest we aren't that harsh n sentencing would it not?

Many more in reality will not be as they will remain dangerous or impossible to protect like Myra Hindley

Users who are viewing this thread