Lucy Letby (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

There’s something off about her, she doesn’t look like a real human. Doesn’t even seem to accept that she’s done it either (unless this is all a very deliberate act). Surely she gets diagnosed with a host of disorders when inside.

Definitely a Cluster B personality disorder at play. She was said to be infatuated with a much older male doctor and was harming babies to get closer to him

The doctor gave evidence against her at trial but has anonymity

Grendel

Populism is emotionally approaching complex questions pretending there are easy answers.

Well there is an easy answer

roy GIF

Sky Blue Pete

Well in reality she cannot do any good as the state would have to spend vast amounts to change her identity or she will be found and dealt with

What good did Colin Pitchfork do? He lasted 8 weeks before he started stalking young women and was locked back up.

What good has David Mcgready done out of interest - made some iron railings? What has he done?
Those haven’t doesn’t mean no one can or that if shouldn’t be the aim

rob9872

Not only should she be executed but it should be at Wembley and I'd buy a ticket!

TomRad85

Death penalty, torturing nonces, public executions etc.

It’s all a bit medieval.
I think wanting the death penalty for something like this is a fairly reasonable response. The state having the power to kill is not something i agree with as it happens, but she certainly should never be released and if someone happened to get hold of her inside i'm sure no one would shed a tear.

Grendel

Evidence ??

There are many killers who are not on whole life tarrifs and not released still - also charmers like John Warboys

Oh I have an example of someone released from prison on parole - Peter Tobin who violently and repeatedly raped two 14 year old girls. Still he was obviously a reformed chap and was ready to do good in the world. That good being the murder of 3 innocent women

OffenhamSkyBlue

Very gammon opinions here, next we’ll be cutting thieves hands off.
There's nothing 'gammon' about this debate - enough of the Twitter lazy stereotyping, already!
Just because you (seemingly) don't agree with the reintroduction of the death penalty for killers whose "cruelty and calculation was truly horrific" (as the judge said in his sentencing remarks) it doesn't mean that we can't have differences of opinion without being labelled a Brexiteer or bringing other stereotypes into it.
I wonder what "Mumsnet" is saying about her?

Sky Blue Pete

Death penalty, torturing nonces, public executions etc.

It’s all a bit medieval.
And doesn’t reduce crime or act as a deterrent or make us safer
Completely understandable of course

Id listen all day long to those affected by these unspeakable acts and what makes life worth continuing given what’s happened to them

I even wonder now if there’s something that society could do that would help?

I know the moors horrors family spoke of closure and Ian Brady used this to inflict more pain

Grendel

In the US the parole boards success stories - even Arthur Shawcross was paroled

Sky Blue Pete

There are many killers who are not on whole life tarrifs and not released still - also charmers like John Warboys

Oh I have an example of someone released from prison on parole - Peter Tobin who violently and repeatedly raped two 14 year old girls. Still he was obviously a reformed chap and was ready to do good in the world. That good being the murder of 3 innocent women
Sorry there is evidence of people reoffending lots of it. I was meaning the number of people who will never have parole

Sky Blue Pete

In the US the parole boards success stories - even Arthur Shawcross was paroled

Maybe we can pick them out and arrange for them to be locked up forever before they commit crime

I’m being facetious

look at recidivism rates where prison works against our system

Johnnythespider

Will there be any repercussions for the Hospital management who ignored the worries of consultants, who wanted her removed from the wards and the police brought in to investigate what was going on, they actually found in her favour when she raised a grievance with them about said consultants.

Sky Blue Pete

Will there be any repercussions for the Hospital management who ignored the worries of consultants who wanted her removed from the wards and the police brought in to investigate what was going on, they actually found in her favour when she raised a grievance with them about said consultants.
Has to be surely

OffenhamSkyBlue

Will there be any repercussions for the Hospital management who ignored the worries of consultants who wanted her removed from the wards and the police brought in to investigate what was going on, they actually found in her favour when she raised a grievance with them about said consultants.
Did you see that Panorama special on Friday night? Quite horrifying the way the hospital management were more worried about the hospital's reputation than patient safety or harbouring a killer.
Article in The Observer yesterday quotes the consultant who first raised concerns :-
"Brearey, who was the first to alert an executive to Letby’s connection to unusual deaths and collapses, told the Observer that there was an “anti-doctor agenda” among the hospital’s executive team which, he said, explained partly why Chambers and his senior team treated the consultants’ concerns as “a case of doctors picking on a nurse”."

Tony Chambers resigned from Chester in 2018, and also resigned as CEO at some Trust in Sussex in June of this year (i suspect when something nasty was revealed at the Letby trial).

Last edited:

OffenhamSkyBlue

I see the nursing manager who was in charge at the time has today been suspended from her post as Nursing Director of an NHS Trust operating 5 hospitals in the Manchester area "in the light of evidence presented at the trial"

Ashdown

Execute don’t execute, that’s another argument but what sort of soft soaked pathetic law and order system do we have that doesn’t drag this vile psychopath up to at least sit in the dock and face the parents of her victims when she was being sentenced and to hear their statements.

SlowerThanPlatt

Execute don’t execute, that’s another argument but what sort of soft soaked pathetic law and order system do we have that doesn’t drag this vile psychopath up to at least sit in the dock and face the parents of her victims when she was being sentenced and to hear their statements.
While I agree think you have to consider how more distressing that would be to the family’s if she comes out screaming and shouting abuse

Sky Blue Pete

Have you any experience of practically how that would work?

chiefdave

It's one of those things that sounds great in theory but in practice how would it work. BBC reporter summed up the problems
As we've reported, Lucy Letby refusing to appear for her sentencing today has reignited calls to make this mandatory.

Rishi Sunak said this morning the government is planning to change the law. Opposition parties agree.

But the issue lies in the practicalities, not the politics. And there are lots of questions about how this would work.

Firstly, if laws are toughened to punish people more if they don't attend - will people facing life sentences be deterred by the threat of a few more months potentially?

Secondly, there's the physical force required to drag someone from prison to the courts, and then potentially from the courts up lots of winding stairs to the docks.

This is currently possible if force is considered "reasonable" - but prison governors, and later judges, must make that call.

Then there is the issue of whether, if you drag someone to court against their will, will they try sabotage it by screaming and shouting and drowning out the judge?

Or shout abuse at grieving families or victims? Or produce an insult by simply sticking fingers in their ears?

There's potentially nothing stopping a sentence being streamed into someone's cell - but does this have the same impact if they can't be addressed directly? And again, they could just cover their ears.

Brighton Sky Blue

It won’t be old age that kills her in prison, that’s for sure. Given what happens to nonces, someone who murdered 7 babies and tried to kill countless more will surely not last long.

Grendel

It won’t be old age that kills her in prison, that’s for sure. Given what happens to nonces, someone who murdered 7 babies and tried to kill countless more will surely not last long.

Big Bev is celebrating 30 years inside

Users who are viewing this thread