Lose the Gut Thread (Following on from New Year's Resolution) (1 Viewer)

Captain Dart

Started running again last week, after the snow, Christmas and birthday celebrations

Doing 3 laps round memorial park, gonna build up to 5 by march and 6 for April
I did my slowest ever Park Run yesterday, first since November :(, and today my muscles are aching, normally I get away with stuff like that maybe age is telling me something bad is going down.

Adge

Right-was up to running 30 mins before the new year but have lapsed over the last 3 weeks. Time to start again tomorrow.

Nick

Administrator
Haven't done anything for months, need to again but it's a pain in the arse with work / wife's work to be able to find the time :( Keep thinking about doing stuff at home but guaranteed it won't hapen.

fernandopartridge

I did my slowest ever Park Run yesterday, first since November :(, and today my muscles are aching, normally I get away with stuff like that maybe age is telling me something bad is going down.
I last did a Parkrun on the first weekend of December, will give it a go this weekend but had a bit of a run today and was blowing like fuck. The drink last night won't have helped.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Covstu

Slightly addicted to Zwift, great indoor cycling for when the weather is shite or you only have an hour!

Marty

Nice to see people still interested in this. I've stepped up my training and possibly might take part in the half marathon this year.

Slightly addicted to Zwift, great indoor cycling for when the weather is shite or you only have an hour!
Zwift takes some additional tech to bolt onto the bike doesn't it?

Nice to see people still interested in this. I've stepped up my training and possibly might take part in the half marathon this year.
I've just started a proper diet and I'm gradually upping my running distance. Trying to ensure I'm doing 5k a week minimum, but having some trouble with the lower legs. It's a little like shin splints but on the outside of my leg.

Marty

I've just started a proper diet and I'm gradually upping my running distance. Trying to ensure I'm doing 5k a week minimum, but having some trouble with the lower legs. It's a little like shin splints but on the outside of my leg.

I had a similar sounding problem that I got sorted using a foam roller.

I had a similar sounding problem that I got sorted using a foam roller.
What
giphy.gif
did you get?

fernandopartridge

That'll just be running in the cold weather after a period of inactivity, should go away of its own accord as long as you don't try and up the ante too quickly

Nick

Administrator
I always get sores when running.

When doing circuits it was on carpet so it was fine, soon as it gets to concrete or a treadmill the knees hurt and the whole lower bit of my legs are in a world of it. Tried different trainers etc but it's the impact thing.

Go back to carpet and it's fine.

Marty

What
giphy.gif
did you get?

They do them in different thickness/hardness, I got the hardest one they had at decathlon and it's very good. You can really feel it working.

Marty

I always get sores when running.

When doing circuits it was on carpet so it was fine, soon as it gets to concrete or a treadmill the knees hurt and the whole lower bit of my legs are in a world of it. Tried different trainers etc but it's the impact thing.

Go back to carpet and it's fine.

Running is proven to make your joints (especially hip, knee and ankle) stronger. Try changing your running technique.

Nick

Administrator
Running is proven to make your joints (especially hip, knee and ankle) stronger. Try changing your running technique.

Have tried all sorts, went to a running shop where they film you running to try and help and just ended up paying over the odds for trainers. :(

Have come to accept I'm not going to be a long distance runner, but it would be ideal to go for a half hour jog now I struggle to get to the gym.

They do them in different thickness/hardness, I got the hardest one they had at decathlon and it's very good. You can really feel it working.
Just not sure how I'd use one of those massive rollers on the outside of my lower leg? Granted I've put no research into it at the mo.

Marty

Have you tried strapping your knees? When I injured my knee, I had no stability through it and often pain, having it strapped sorted that.

Have tried all sorts, went to a running shop where they film you running to try and help and just ended up paying over the odds for trainers. :(

Have come to accept I'm not going to be a long distance runner, but it would be ideal to go for a half hour jog now I struggle to get to the gym.
That's what i'm trying to do nick. 5K just under half hour is perfect. Still gotta go steady and build up. Have you tried the C25k?

Marty

Just not sure how I'd use one of those massive rollers on the outside of my lower leg? Granted I've put no research into it at the mo.

Leg straight and parallel to floor, toes pointing back towards you so its stretching the back of your leg, with the roller underneath, then use your other leg (on floor) to rock your whole body back and forwards. I'm sure there's plenty of vids on youtube

Leg straight and parallel to floor, toes pointing back towards you so its stretching the back of your leg, with the roller underneath, then use your other leg (on floor) to rock your whole body back and forwards. I'm sure there's plenty of vids on youtube
Sounds like some dodgy sex act. A hand held roller would be better.

Nick

Administrator
Have you tried strapping your knees? When I injured my knee, I had no stability through it and often pain, having it strapped sorted that.

Yeah I tried both one of those that sit under the knee cap and a brace. None really helped when running on concrete but do prevent as much aching after.

Marty

Yeah I tried both one of those that sit under the knee cap and a brace. None really helped when running on concrete but do prevent as much aching after.

I think you're beyond help. I'd recommend strengthening the legs and core then.

Marty

Will phone the vet up later to bring the shotgun.

Crosstrainer was always fine at the gym as there isn't the impact.

The stairmaster is good as well, burns loads of calories, harder workout then a treadmill but without the impact.

Marty

It's walking up a backwards escalator pritty much.

Marty

Ah yeah this looks pretty good

stairmaster-gauntlet-series-8-lcd-xlg.jpg

This is the one I meant, you have to balance it somehow and I end up just stood flat at the bottom.
IMPULSE-PST-300-stepper-.jpg

That's the one, most gyms don't tend to have one as they are stupidly expensive.

I think you're beyond help. I'd recommend strengthening the legs and core then.
That's one thing I've noticed. I started running in September and the area below the calf is getting much bigger than it was. It's amazing how weak that area is unless you target it specifically.

LastGarrison

Had to buy a bigger suit after Christmas and holiday!!

Haven’t had a drink since New Year’s Day, back to bootcamp 3 times a week and walking the pooch between 1 and 1 1/2 hours a day.

Feel like I’ve shifted a bit already but need to really work on shifting this gut!!,

Marty

Had to buy a bigger suit after Christmas and holiday!!

Haven’t had a drink since New Year’s Day, back to bootcamp 3 times a week and walking the pooch between 1 and 1 1/2 hours a day.

Feel like I’ve shifted a bit already but need to really work on shifting this gut!!,

Keep up the good work. It's amazing how much better you feel.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Did another 3 laps earlier today , really enjoyed it

Users who are viewing this thread