Looking For A New Career (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

I'm thinking about retraining and switching careers, but have no idea what I fancy doing.

Thought I'd ask on here as most are local and I might get an idea of what jobs are out there and how happy people are with them, so:

- What do/did you do?
- Would you recommend it?
- What would you do if you could start all over again?

If anyone wants to give me actual career advice, I'm 33, teaching IT/Computing/Media for the last 7 years and was a Software Engineer for 2 years before that (programming in Java and C#), I have a 2:1 in Computer Science from Cov and am interested in pretty much everything and can learn most things quickly. Typical geek, though I enjoy working with people, don't think I want to work in education or the public sector again really, bit sick of the government intervention and hearing about your job in the media all the time. Have considered retraining as a lawyer or doing a Masters in something, but to be honest I think I just like arguing and wouldn't actually enjoy being a lawyer.

skybluejelly

I'm thinking about retraining and switching careers, but have no idea what I fancy doing.

Thought I'd ask on here as most are local and I might get an idea of what jobs are out there and how happy people are with them, so:

- What do/did you do?

If anyone wants to give me actual career advice, I'm 33, teaching IT/Computing/Media for the last 7 years and was a Software Engineer for 2 years before that (programming in Java and C#), I have a 2:1 in Computer Science from Cov and am interested in pretty much everything and can learn most things quickly. Typical geek, though I enjoy working with people, don't think I want to work in education or the public sector again really, bit sick of the government intervention and hearing about your job in the media all the time. Have considered retraining as a lawyer or doing a Masters in something, but to be honest I think I just like arguing and wouldn't actually enjoy being a lawyer.

Well said schmee...a lot of parents do not realise this ..was going to post something similar but you saved me the time.

Grendel

You could have been my analyst but sadly the position was filled a few weeks ago.

Otis

- What do/did you do?

Sorry, but completely read the thread title incorrectly and thought it read as 'Looking for a new carer.'

shmmeee

Yeah thought about software, thought about indie game/app development (but I have bills to pay).

To be honest, I'm a bit worried that after teaching kids how to use PowerPoint for 7 years I'm a bit deskilled.

shmmeee

Sorry, but completely read the thread title incorrectly and thought it read as 'Looking for a new carer.'

Some days Otis, I could do with one of them too. I'm afraid you're not Swedish or big breasted enough for the position.

shmmeee

There are always jobs floating about at JLR.

I literally know nothing about cars. Just gone onto the site and have no idea what any of the job titles even mean!

I assume this is G's analyst though:

[h=2]Marketing Analytics Manager[/h]£50k

lewys33

I literally know nothing about cars. Just gone onto the site and have no idea what any of the job titles even mean!

I assume this is G's analyst though:

Marketing Analytics Manager

£50k

You would be surprised how many people don't know much about cars to be honest!

shmmeee

You would be surprised how many people don't know much about cars to be honest!

To be fair, a few of those jobs do look interesting, I might have a poke around and see if I match any of the descriptions.

I wonder if I'm I too old to be a graduate apprentice?

lewys33

To be fair, a few of those jobs do look interesting, I might have a poke around and see if I match any of the descriptions.

I wonder if I'm I too old to be a graduate apprentice?

I don't know what the age limit is on that to be honest. I finished my apprenticeship 4 years ago now and that has changed massively!

fernandopartridge

No upper age limit on when you can start an apprenticeship. If you're doing a Level 3 (Advanced) Apprenticeship or above you could be eligible for public funding - though this is paid to a training provider or college not the individual.

With your level of qualification it'd have to be L5 or above mind you otherwise you need to take a student loan to cover the sub L5 element.

The key to an apprenticeship is finding an employer first who may be willing to co-fund, it's not easy as many employers don't see the value in apprenticeships.

wingy

No upper age limit on when you can start an apprenticeship. If you're doing a Level 3 (Advanced) Apprenticeship or above you could be eligible for public funding - though this is paid to a training provider or college not the individual.

With your level of qualification it'd have to be L5 or above mind you otherwise you need to take a student loan to cover the sub L5 element.

The key to an apprenticeship is finding an employer first who may be willing to co-fund, it's not easy as many employers don't see the value in apprenticeships.

Unfortunately...

Broken Hearted Sky Blue

You could have been my analyst but sadly the position was filled a few weeks ago.

th

Just how long have you been visiting Analysts:claping hands:

Nick

Administrator
Did you manage to find anything else Schmee?

I always think about training as a plumber, electrician or something.

shmmeee

No mate, still looking around. Thinking about moving up to Manchester for the IT jobs. Thinking about retraining as something completely random. I might even stay in teaching.

Maybe my wife's business will take off and I'll be a kept man :D

Marty

Bit of advice, if you do decide to do that, do not do one of those 'become a plumber in 6 week' courses.

Marty

They're terrible, there's no way you can learn enough or build enough experience to be confident in your work after such a short time.

letsallsingtogether

Well I'm on garden leave and will start looking for a new job after my holidays.

I too have had enough of Running around like a c@%$ and then as middle management always the first to go when there is a downturn.

Looks like I will have to go back to the crazy world of Automotive 1st tier suppliers.. God help ME

wingy

Well I'm on garden leave and will start looking for a new job after my holidays.

I too have had enough of Running around like a c@%$ and then as middle management always the first to go when there is a downturn.

Looks like I will have to go back to the crazy world of Automotive 1st tier suppliers.. God help ME

Don't think Unipart are going to be much help to you LAST ,just entered Admin today.

Users who are viewing this thread