Liverpool City (1 Viewer)

chiefdave

Referee's are making the decisions. Albeit fucking awful decisions.
Think its really highlighted how shocking bad even top level refs are. The get out has always been, 'they only see it once', 'normal speed' etc. None of that applies now and yet every weekend there are multiple errors.

Nick

Administrator
Think its really highlighted how shocking bad even top level refs are. The get out has always been, 'they only see it once', 'normal speed' etc. None of that applies now and yet every weekend there are multiple errors.

They should let people hear the discussions between them and the VAR people to see what they are saying.

jordan210

I strongly believe that the VAR officials should be non refs trained only to use VAR. The fact the VAR is manned by the same incompetent refs you see week in week out should give you all you need to know on how poor it was going to be.

SBAndy

Ex refs who aren’t going to be worried about upsetting their pals.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue in cricket or rugby. That said, there are a few referees in football with seemingly over-inflated egos. Peter Walton in the BT studio is one I can’t abide by.

Show the incident on the big screen, make the radio channel between referee and VAR accessible and it would start to repair trust.

CCFC88

Re the handball, I think if the ref gives the pen VAR would have ruled it out for the ball coming off Silva's arm before TAA's. I believe any contact with an attackers arm in the build up to a goal/pen results in a free kick to the defending team.

I think its a strange one as what would be a handball offence by an attacker isn't always going to be an offence by a defender.

chiefdave

They couldn't have got VAR more wrong if they tried. Completely lost sight of what it was introduced for, the clear and obvious error, and now seem to be making it up as they go along.

For offsides the science doesn't match how precise they are trying to be, the technology is simply not that accurate. Go down the cricket route and have 'umpires call' if its withing a set marging of error.

Everything else should go back to the onpitch officials. Its the only way you'll get consistency as the rules are open to interpretation and one office will be stricter than others. Just use VAR to give him the heads up that its close enough to take a look.

Then they need to sort out the handball rule, they've messed that right up. Different rules in different competitions, different rules for forwards and defenders. Shambles.
Peter Walton in the BT studio is one I can’t abide by.
The refs in the studio should have been a warning on how this would work. Week in week out you'd see errors made and they'd go to whoever they had in the studio who would claim the ref was right despite everyone being able to see on the replays he was wrong!

Nick

Administrator
Re the handball, I think if the ref gives the pen VAR would have ruled it out for the ball coming off Silva's arm before TAA's. I believe any contact with an attackers arm in the build up to a goal/pen results in a free kick to the defending team.

I think its a strange one as what would be a handball offence by an attacker isn't always going to be an offence by a defender.

In which case it would be a free kick to Liverpool and the game stopped and potentially no goal?

Grendel

In which case it would be a free kick to Liverpool and the game stopped and potentially no goal?

no because the referee didn’t give it so as play went forward and resulted in a positive impact for Liverpool the goal has to stand

Grendel

chiefdave

no because the referee didn’t give it so as play went forward and resulted in a positive impact for Liverpool the goal has to stand
That's not what they've ruled. The PGMOL have said the goal stands as VAR does not show Alexander-Arnold handling the ball.

The video of it is in this tweet.

But the referee deemed neither were
Isn't the whole point of VAR to correct the clear mistakes made on the pitch?

ccfc92

What's the biggest piss take is if any managers or players call the ref's/VAR out, they get fined for bringing the game into disrepute. Even though they are clearly in the wrong...

Nick

Administrator
What's the biggest piss take is if any managers or players call the ref's/VAR out, they get fined for bringing the game into disrepute. Even though they are clearly in the wrong...

Exactly, even if their shocking decisions have actually ruined the match.

Sky were trying their hardest to get Pep to bite as well!

chiefdave

And you get the PGMOL rushing out statements to back up the ref and then having to change them later when everyone can clearly see they've messed up.

ccfc92

Exactly, even if their shocking decisions have actually ruined the match.

Sky were trying their hardest to get Pep to bite as well!

Yeah, I did feel sorry for Pep. It must be hard to bite your tongue when they are clearly wrong.

The patronising thank you to the officials will probably land him a fine by the FA.

Grendel

He was stood right in front of it as well so it proves how bad he was ;)

Don’t really see the problem. The confusion is changed in the handball rule which makes it much more open to interpretation none of these or those in our recent games would likely have been given under the old rule

Nick

Administrator
And you get the PGMOL rushing out statements to back up the ref and then having to change them later when everyone can clearly see they've messed up.

Exactly, like the one for Son where they put out a statement saying how it was because it was dangerous and stood and then it was overturned the next day.

Nick

Administrator
Don’t really see the problem. The confusion is changed in the handball rule which makes it much more open to interpretation none of these or those in our recent games would likely have been given under the old rule

They should have been, some of them have been so blatant.

Grendel

Yeah, I did feel sorry for Pep. It must be hard to bite your tongue when they are clearly wrong.

The patronising thank you to the officials will probably land him a fine by the FA.

VAR ruined it - the decisions were correct

PurpleBin

What annoys me is that Liverpool and YNWA is now treated like its the national anthem.

It can be a little bit cringey all the love in. Unless youve been to a big game at Anf

Advantage surely?

On that specific incident, Aguero..? Play to the whistle man!!! Started shouting and hollering with the ball at his feet 10 yeards from goal!!

Grendel

I agree the early "penalty" incident wasn't a pen because of Silva handballing it first.

Salah was offside though.

Within Var margin of error? It should never even be questioned - I have hardly watched any live games with this and it doesn’t work it’s a joke and ruins the game. If that was cricket it’s umpires call and the goal stands as it allows margins where area is grey

ccfc92

Really? Didnt look it to me...

salah-offside-liverpool.png

ccfc92

When they are saying an eyelash is offside, I'd say that is offside...

Thing is, VAR is being picked and chosen when to be used. It is not a fair system, you can't use it sometimes and not other times. That leaves it open to manipulation.

The whole thing is a joke and I think goal line technology is the only worthwhile tech we need in football.

ccfchoi87

It can be a little bit cringey all the love in. Unless youve been to a big game at Anf

Advantage surely?

On that specific incident, Aguero..? Play to the whistle man!!! Started shouting and hollering with the ball at his feet 10 yeards from goal!!

Advantage over once TAA handballs. Back to the free kick

chiefdave

That first picture shows you everything that is wrong with using it for marginal offsides. Look at the ball, its blurred, how can they be certain they have paused on the split second the ball is played. What do you even define that as, when the foot strikes the ball or when the ball leaves contact with the foot. Then you're looking from a camera that isn't directly inline with the players therefore bringing in issues with parallax viewing.

For me that should take a couple of seconds and VAR saying thats too tight to overrule the onpitch ruling.

Grendel

Christ hahaha. Mental isn't it?

It proves nothing and is idiotic. If the keeper saved the header went for a corner and then it’s a goal it can’t be reviewed can it?

Users who are viewing this thread