Little bits of history. (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

First Sunday Premier league game v. Derby.
I remember having to push through religious protesters to get into the ground.

skybluesam66

First Sunday Premier league game v. Derby.
I remember having to push through religious protesters to get into the ground.
40000 fans yet no tickets were sold for the game . There is a good quiz question in there
Due to Sunday trading laws, admission was by programme only (Was Div 1 not PL at the time)

skybluesam66

Longest slide in a football game (and he is still going I believe) Mr Kastaneer
Longest stay at a Football club if he is still here (Julian Gray)

Irish Sky Blue

David Cross 1-0, if I remember right it was in extra time.
You are probably right. A long time ago! I remember listening to the game on BBC Radio Derby which kept fading in and out. The local radio at the time was BBC radio Birmingham who obviously couldn't be bothered with us that night.
The mention of buying the programme to gain admittance to the first game made me think back. I have a vague recollection that I had to walk from home in Binley to Highfield Road that day. Buses normally ran on Sunday so the fact there were none that day was maybe down to the three day working week, imposed at the time due to the miner's strike?

The Great Eastern

40000 fans yet no tickets were sold for the game . There is a good quiz question in there
Due to Sunday trading laws, admission was by programme only (Was Div 1 not PL at the time)
A gate was left open for people who didnt want to buy a programme at normal match admission prices. No idea if anybody marched in for free but was done to comply with the law at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread