Liquidation (1 Viewer)

SkyblueBazza

Decent strikers at any level have always been and always will be paid more than other positions. Its a non issue for me in terms of the teams motivation etc. It is an issue for us as we can't afford a decent striker. Everyone seems to admit without McGoldrick we would be in the shit and that's why he commands a bigger salary. The average wage in League 1 is a little over £1000 a week, £4000 in the Championship and £22000 in the Premier (These figures are published they are not mine) . We all know the (supposedly) better players in each league are getting a lot more than the average and goal scorers are correctly positioned at the top.

I disagree. It's about balance. No good having a striker that scores 40 goals if your poorly paid, demotivated defence & keeper let in 50 goals (assuming that would = more lost games than won). Football is a team game. One suitably motivated player will be unlikely to get team success.
As for our striker...he's doing well in L1 so should command a good L1 basic. Bonuses added to take him to a very good L1 payday. Remember though...Forest seem to think he cannot cut the mustard in the Championship playing their style of play - which saw them survive whilst we perished last season.

Black6Osprey

I disagree. It's about balance. No good having a striker that scores 40 goals if your poorly paid, demotivated defence & keeper let in 50 goals (assuming that would = more lost games than won).

Yes but its always been like this. Strikers get more and every player knows it. Football is full players who can do a job in defence or midfield but not so many who can regularly find the net. Are the Man Utd defence going to throw the league away because Rooney and Van Persie earn a lot more money than them? If they don't like the pay find another career.

We found out how much good strikers are needed when King left followed by Juke. We will find out again when DMG goes. It doesn't matter that Forest don't think he will cut the mustard in the Championship as we aren't in it.

SkyblueBazza

Yes but its always been like this. Strikers get more and every player knows it. Football is full players who can do a job in defence or midfield but not so many who can regularly find the net. Are the Man Utd defence going to throw the league away because Rooney and Van Persie earn a lot more money than them? If they don't like the pay find another career.

We found out how much good strikers are needed when King left followed by Juke. We will find out again when DMG goes. It doesn't matter that Forest don't think he will cut the mustard in the Championship as we aren't in it.

Still about balance. My point is that if you upset the balance of the pay too much...discontent can easily set in - not least with the no2 choice striker that doesn't get the chance to play often enough.

Black6Osprey

Still about balance. My point is that if you upset the balance of the pay too much...discontent can easily set in - not least with the no2 choice striker that doesn't get the chance to play often enough.

I agree if the disparity with other strikers is too great it could cause an issue. Don't worry though as we will soon have a group of strikers all earning the same, in great spirits and not finding the net with any regularity. DMG won't be stopping here as the club can't afford the high Championship wages that he will want unless someone can convince him that playing in 1/3 full stadium, at the bottom of league 1, with a 50% drop in pay is a good career move.

SkyblueBazza

I agree if the disparity with other strikers is too great it could cause an issue. Don't worry though as we will soon have a group of strikers all earning the same, in great spirits and not finding the net with any regularity. DMG won't be stopping here as the club can't afford the high Championship wages that he will want unless someone can convince him that playing in 1/3 full stadium, at the bottom of league 1, with a 50% drop in pay is a good career move.

On that - we agree.
Maybe he thinks there's more to footy than the money though? Stays on a 3rd deal gets loads of goals & next season leads the charge to the Championship :))
Knowing our luck - once there we find he can't score, N.Forest have a point & he's only really a L1 striker...& we can't get anything for him :-(

Users who are viewing this thread