LGBTQ City Fans (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

There you go.

Why do people need to 'come out'? it has no bearings on any of our life's or their ability to play football and is a private matter, just like you don't know my sexuality but should a schedule a press conference to confirm I'm straight?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying footballers need to come out and all I'm asking is why.
No-one should need or have to to come out but if they did, i believe it would greatly help to accelerate the reversal of the stigma that is unfortunately still attached to being gay, particularly in football. It wouldn't make a difference to you because, rightly, you're interested in character and you're already approaching the topic from a neutral standpoint. To someone that does have a negative attitude towards homosexuality though? Finding out that their favourite footballer who they admire, possibly revere, whose name they have on their shirt, is gay may very well have a bearing on their life. A hugely positive role model is suddenly in the middle of what was a pool of negativity. Interaction is a key part to breaking down stereotypes and with footballers, although physical interaction is limited, we feel like we know them - we watch interviews with them, watch them play for the teams we love, celebrate with them when they score. It wouldn't fix the issue overnight but it would start some important ripples.

Otis

There you go.

Why do people need to 'come out'? it has no bearings on any of our life's or their ability to play football and is a private matter, just like you don't know my sexuality but should a schedule a press conference to confirm I'm straight?

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying footballers need to come out and all I'm asking is why.
What? Where have I said footballers need to come out? All I have said is that footballers don't come out. I have certainly NOT said they need to come out. Nowhere I have said that. Don't know how on earth you come to such a conclusion. I am correcting you, very much so. :)

That's one enormous leap you've made there , Marty.

I do hope some footballers do come out. I have never, ever said they need to.

NortonSkyBlue

What? Where have I said footballers need to come out? All I have said is that footballers don't come out. I have certainly NOT said they need to come out. Nowhere I have said that. Don't know how on earth you come to such a conclusion. I am correcting you, very much so. :)
That's one enormous leap you've made there , Marty.
I do hope some footballers do come out. I have never, ever said they need to.

Whilst we were discussing fans groups it was a relatively easy conversation to join in. Players seems to be a tougher ask and I am not sure why it is so difficult? the sexual orientation of anyone is of no concern to anyone other than the person involved and the decision to expose themselves should be exclusively theirs.
Has a discussion ever been raised about the sexuality of any of our players? I suspect not and rightly so.
I know there has been banter over the size of Dion Dublin's member, Peter Ndlovu's penchant for sleeping(ahem) in various bedrooms around the region, that is generally lighthearted and at worst laddish.
I am curious about the reaction to the first gay footballer coming out in England because I believe he will be villified by few neanderthals but will find himself with endorsements and a high profile that will last them a life time. If I was gay and a footballer I would definitely consider the pros to outweigh the cons.
I understand the reluctance of somebody like Harry Kane coming out(not intimating anything by using him as an example) because he would want his legacy to be about his goals, not where he sticks his little Harry, but for the majority of players it would put them on a pedestal for ever.

Otis

Whilst we were discussing fans groups it was a relatively easy conversation to join in. Players seems to be a tougher ask and I am not sure why it is so difficult? the sexual orientation of anyone is of no concern to anyone other than the person involved and the decision to expose themselves should be exclusively theirs.
Has a discussion ever been raised about the sexuality of any of our players? I suspect not and rightly so.
I know there has been banter over the size of Dion Dublin's member, Peter Ndlovu's penchant for sleeping(ahem) in various bedrooms around the region, that is generally lighthearted and at worst laddish.
I am curious about the reaction to the first gay footballer coming out in England because I believe he will be villified by few neanderthals but will find himself with endorsements and a high profile that will last them a life time. If I was gay and a footballer I would definitely consider the pros to outweigh the cons.
I understand the reluctance of somebody like Harry Kane coming out(not intimating anything by using him as an example) because he would want his legacy to be about his goals, not where he sticks his little Harry, but for the majority of players it would put them on a pedestal for ever.
The Neanderthals would be out in force for sure. I'm sure that's the main reason a lot of footballers would never come out.

Samo

The Neanderthals would be out in force for sure. I'm sure that's the main reason a lot of footballers would never come out.

Yep, you'd have to be very brave to invite what you'd get from the terraces every week never mind the potential for prejudice within the squad. I have nothing but admiration for anyone that would do that.

Brylowes

So why do players come out in other sports? Does that also imply that it is wrong?
They choose to come out so it's done in their own time and on their own terms, remove the chance
Of some shit tabloid rag running an expose and attempting to ruin their career and life.

Otis

They choose to come out so it's done in their own time and on their own terms, remove the chance
Of some shit tabloid rag running an expose and attempting to ruin their career and life.
Surprised the press haven't outed top footballers.

Bennosdancingfeet

For 200k a week, I’d happily come out, even being straight it would make me go viral and as for chants from the terraces, I’d struggle to come to terms with that as I drive my Ferrari into the drive of my ten bedroom mansion with my stunning model wife waiting in her best lingerie with a bottle of bubbly on ice.

Danceswithhorses

For 200k a week, I’d happily come out, even being straight it would make me go viral and as for chants from the terraces, I’d struggle to come to terms with that as I drive my Ferrari into the drive of my ten bedroom mansion with my stunning model wife waiting in her best lingerie with a bottle of bubbly on ice.
Strange that no straight footballer has taken up this realistic offer lol ?

Grendel

Surprised the press haven't outed top footballers.

There are all sorts of gagging orders and blocks. There have been a couple of rumours about a couple of high profile players - one which ended in a bizarre incident which never had a proper public explanation.

Danceswithhorses

There are all sorts of gagging orders and blocks. There have been a couple of rumours about a couple of high profile players - one which ended in a bizarre incident which never had a proper public explanation.
would that include a mobile phone G ?

SBT

So let me get this right - any player who comes out immediately changes their legacy to something completely irrelevant to their career, but you still have no idea why they might be reluctant to do that?

NortonSkyBlue

So let me get this right - any player who comes out immediately changes their legacy to something completely irrelevant to their career, but you still have no idea why they might be reluctant to do that?
To be a pioneer for something positive, brave and bold will mean their name would be etched in history.
Of course I have an idea why they might be reluctant to do it but ask yourself this question': do you think that the first gay footballer would be famous or infamous? I believe they would be embraced and recognized to eternity.

SBT

To be a pioneer for something positive, brave and bold will mean their name would be etched in history.
Of course I have an idea why they might be reluctant to do it but ask yourself this question': do you think that the first gay footballer would be famous or infamous? I believe they would be embraced and recognized to eternity.

Like anyone in any line of work, I think they'd rather be known for their hard work and achievements. Reducing your entire career to being "the first gay [x]" doesn't sound like the great prize you make it out to be.

Without meaning to sound like I'm having a go, I don't think your understanding of how and why people struggle with their sexuality is as enlightened as you think it is.

NortonSkyBlue

Like anyone in any line of work, I think they'd rather be known for their hard work and achievements. Reducing your entire career to being "the first gay [x]" doesn't sound like the great prize you make it out to be.

Without meaning to sound like I'm having a go, I don't think your understanding of how and why people struggle with their sexuality is as enlightened as you think it is.
Maybe you are right, I am not going to get in to a discussion on my gay credentials as it serves no purpose.
Needless to say I believe nobody is particularly bothered about somebody's sexuality in this day and age and it's just another barrier to break like the 4 minute mile.
Well that's my take on it.

Johhny Blue

We already have NOPM group, Glory Hunters group, SISU Apologists group and CCC Lovers group. How many groups does a club need
Sorry, I didn't mean to leave out the NOPM group. O K this is the last time. We will now recognize the
" CCFCNOPMLBGTQJSBSISU" fans

You're welcome

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Really don’t see the need for the LGBT to have their own section or block at a match, it would attract unwanted abuse from the away supporters and our own fans. We need to keep everyone integrated to suffer this fortnightly misery.

Users who are viewing this thread