LGBTQ City Fans (1 Viewer)

KG7

I would sugest that as you have had no replies from members on here then no one is interested. All this thread has now achieved is to cause arguments around the rights and wrongs of segregation and putting people in little groups to suit peoples agendas.

To be honest its now getting boring and the whole point of the thread has now been answered by the no replies so would sugest its closed

I think the debate has been a good one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torchomatic

It was at one point, but it's been 'reclaimed' so it's lost any of the power it may have had as an insult.

I'm going to reclaim SISU APOLOGIST.

NorthernWisdom

Considering that you say that you are not from one of these so called 'groups' have you asked anyone if they would be interested in joining?

Most of them just want a normal life. They don't want to promote the way they live their life. Of course you have those that are loud and proud. But it isn't the norm.

I have known a fair few people over the years that could fit into what you are saying. But most wouldn't want it. Most people just want to be seen as they are. Normal. It is other people that don't see them as normal. I have neighbours that are gay. Two of the nicest men you could ever meet. Would do anything to help anyone. All they want is to be seen as normal because they are.

See in my work recently I've come across some LGBTQ+ events. This isn't the impression I get. On those events you get loud people, 'different' people, 'normal' people just as everywhere else.

You also get straight people...

And at work, or elsewhere, I wouldn't know whether they were gay, straight, bi, trans... nor would I care. But they also want to share experiences that bond them, they also want to share dispositions that bond them, so they come together under the umbrella of LGBTQ+. It's not for everyone, but it's a social place and it's a supportive place, among like-minded people.

That's all.

And people choose to join, or they don't, same as anything else. But the option is there for them to choose to join in if they wish to.

That ain't segmenting groups in any way, it's just living.

Astute

See in my work recently I've come across some LGBTQ+ events. This isn't the impression I get. On those events you get loud people, 'different' people, 'normal' people just as everywhere else.

You also get straight people...

And at work, or elsewhere, I wouldn't know whether they were gay, straight, bi, trans... nor would I care. But they also want to share experiences that bond them, they also want to share dispositions that bond them, so they come together under the umbrella of LGBTQ+. It's not for everyone, but it's a social place and it's a supportive place, among like-minded people.

That's all.

And people choose to join, or they don't, same as anything else. But the option is there for them to choose to join in if they wish to.

That ain't segmenting groups in any way, it's just living.
Like I said some are loud and proud whereas the majority just want to be seen as the normal person that they are.

Are you trying to say that the majority of LGBTQ people turn up for events like this or do you seriously underestimate how many that there are?

NorthernWisdom

Like I said some are loud and proud whereas the majority just want to be seen as the normal person that they are.

Are you trying to say that the majority of LGBTQ people turn up for events like this or do you seriously underestimate how many that there are?

No, I'm saying that those who turn up for events aren't necessarily loud and proud.

Or, indeed, LGBTQ+

Gazolba

I know that people might see it differently, but I don't see why people need to group themselves off.

I understand some people live in the stone ages, the same with racism but at a game it doesn't really matter if the bloke next to me is black, white, gay, straight etc they are a city fan, that's all. When people start putting themselves into separate groups it sort of goes against treating everybody as equal.
Totally agree. The last thing we need is more groups to divide us up. Lets celebrate our diversity (hate that expression) by joining together, rather than splitting ourselves apart.

Astute

So that should stop a group being set up for those who *are* interested?

Most people aren't interested in CCFC, but there's a Sky Blue Trust! Most CCFC interested people don't join it either, but it still has a place.

As does this group.
Are you now saying that I have said that they shouldn't have a group set up that they haven't asked for? :rolleyes:

Astute

It's blindingly obvious what I'm fucking saying.
No it isn't. You have been saying that I have said what I haven't. Now you seem to be getting upset that I won't agree with you.

Have any of them asked for something to be set up?

Do you think that the majority of them would be interested?

What I have said is no to the questions. But you are telling me that I am wrong. Are you Grendel in disguise?

Rich

Would think the name gives it away... ;)
So would I, but what I don't get is why there would be a need for a Gay group as opposed to just being in a non discriminatory group?

Ooh I'm Gay, I people to stop persecuting me because of my sexuality, but I couldn't be in one of those awful non discriminatory heterosexual supporters groups. Oh no.

Otis

So would I, but what I don't get is why there would be a need for a Gay group as opposed to just being in a non discriminatory group?

Ooh I'm Gay, I people to stop persecuting me because of my sexuality, but I couldn't be in one of those awful non discriminatory heterosexual supporters groups. Oh no.
Ooh, contentious! Are you saying gays aren't normal?

Nick

Administrator
So would I, but what I don't get is why there would be a need for a Gay group as opposed to just being in a normal group?

Guess it's the same as people who live in London or Ireland.

In terms of why do gay people need their own group, in this day and age they should be just able to be classed as a "CCFC Fan" rather than a "Gay CCFC Fan" but that's for another day. (Think there was a thread on it here).

I can imagine the outrage if the club didn't invite them. Especially with reports recently of abuse (Luton game I think).

eastwoodsdustman

I think he's saying they are and want to be but by pushing the LGBT line they're doing the opposite. Maybe a middle aged white male group needs setting up too as I'm feeling a bit neglected.

ajsccfc

The idea of a group for gay fans etc. is to encourage participation to the eventual point where we'll have absolutely no need for the groups. It's not to keep them differentiated, more to let them know they're welcome as football hasn't the best track record with this kind of thing.

Nick

Administrator
I think he's saying they are and want to be but by pushing the LGBT line they're doing the opposite. Maybe a middle aged white male group needs setting up too as I'm feeling a bit neglected.

No I agree, said the same on the thread here about people not wanting to be treated differently but then wanting to be treated differently - LGBTQ City Fans

Personally have no issue with the club working with them though with things like this, the wider range of "groups" the better.

Otis

The idea of a group for gay fans etc. is to encourage participation to the eventual point where we'll have absolutely no need for the groups. It's not to keep them differentiated, more to let them know they're welcome as football hasn't the best track record with this kind of thing.
It most certainly hasn't, hence the lack of top footballers admitting they are gay.

superskyblue

We've had the debate about an LGBT Supporters Group before. A group that helps people who would otherwise feel marginalised when trying to support their club is valid and worthy in my opinion.

You only have to look back as recently as Cambridge away and the homophobic songs sung towards their keeper, who was wearing pink (witty I know), to see that it might be tough being an LGBT Coventry fan.

Danceswithhorses

Is that what gay people say then...really ?
Also it's the club that has set the group up, so why have a dig at gay fans ?

superskyblue

And to add, I don't see why anybody would object to having an LGBT Supporters Group.

As far as I'm aware nobody is forcing people to join the group so I don't see what harm it could possibly do to anybody to have this group.

shmmeee

Ooh, contentious! Are you saying gays aren't normal?

They aren’t normal, they’re a deviation from the norm. That’s stats not a judgement. Blonde people aren’t normal either or short sighted people.

Grendel

And to add, I don't see why anybody would object to having an LGBT Supporters Group.

As far as I'm aware nobody is forcing people to join the group so I don't see what harm it could possibly do to anybody to have this group.

Is anyone objecting - can’t see anyone really having a problem with it?

Grendel

Would just read posts above.

People like Rich are just prehistoric morons. You’ll always have some - he once started a thread asking if you’d shag Beth Tweddle - I’m the end I’m pretty certain anyone with half a brain cell will acknowledge its value.

Marty

It most certainly hasn't, hence the lack of top footballers admitting they are gay.

They're professional footballers, their sexuality doesn't come into it at all, they don't need to 'come out', that's their private life. They most certainly don't need to 'admit' to being gay, it almost implies that it's wrong.

Terry Gibson's perm

I can’t blame any player for not coming out as it is their private life and there choice and I am sure for a while they would get undeserved hassle but homely it would go away whenever I see the cricketer Steve Davies I don’t think ah the gay one I think Davies the wicket keeper

Sick Boy

I can’t blame any player for not coming out as it is their private life and there choice and I am sure for a while they would get undeserved hassle but homely it would go away whenever I see the cricketer Steve Davies I don’t think ah the gay one I think Davies the wicket keeper

The abuse would be relentless, sadly. Homophobia is very much alive amongst football fans.

skybluesam66

The abuse would be relentless, sadly. Homophobia is very much alive amongst football fans.
it is, but so was racism - remember the bananas and monkey chants
Education got rid of racism to a large extent
we need the same for homophobism

And also make it an offence, just like racism -
Nobody should be subject to bullying or worse just because of their sexual preferences

NortonSkyBlue

People like Rich are just prehistoric morons. You’ll always have some - he once started a thread asking if you’d shag Beth Tweddle - I’m the end I’m pretty certain anyone with half a brain cell will acknowledge its value.
And what was your answer? Would you?

Users who are viewing this thread