Lets sign Usain Bolt (1 Viewer)

Marty

See, I used to think that - I'm sure I could beat Farah over twenty yards. The truth is though that he's bloody fast - 5k in 13 minutes is pretty much spriniting all the way for normal humans!

There's a good BBC video here that convinced me...

It's a crazy speed to maintain, I do a 22min 5k and that's pushing myself. I can maintain his speed on a treadmill for about 40 seconds and then I'm done for 5 mins.

covcity4life

as for colour issue i can see both sides of argument, communities are not robots who will flock to ricoh if one player is the same.

That said a british indian turning out for cov would be big news and you may get a few extra turn out to see him be they old timers who never thought they would see the day or youngsters who want to see someone they can relate too

p.s i scored a great turn and volley in 5 a side yesterday, i am happy to take a sub role too robins!

Ccfcisparks

We all like to think diversity is alive and well.. but it isn’t.

Football is as racist as it gets when it comes to the lack of black coaches. Regis wanted (AND DESERVED) more than coaching West Brom reserves.

Take a minute to think about all the white former players that are gifted golden coaching opportunities that have little or no coaching credentials.

We’re talking former England managers that didn’t even have any required coaching badges but were given a special pass.

*edit to add; m8
Actually, if you read his book, Cyrille said he never wanted to go into coaching after coaching West Brom's reserves as it wasnt for him.

Sumo the Micky Quinn

Joking aside, you do wonder sometimes whether poorly attended clubs miss a trick by not trying to attract non football communities through signing 'one of their own'. It might sound strange, but within Coventry there are huge ethnic communities that rarely if ever attend, yet if it was one of their kids/relatives/friends/countrymen, you'd have swathes turn out to support them.

Living abroad I always get asked by the locals, "Where about in England are you from?" Most have never heard of Coventry and surprisingly never heard of Birmingham, when I say its near Birmingham. "Is it near Manchester or London?", Manchester because of the football and London because of its history and Royal family.

However we have a lot of Moroccan's here, mention Coventry and the first thing they say is "Hadji, Chippo"

Nick

Administrator
You’ve clearly completely missed my point so we’ll leave it.

Actuallly I’ll spell it out. It’s hugely patronising to suggest that signing an ‘ethnic’ player of a certain ‘type’ will get that certain ‘ethnic type’ to turn up to games. I’ll tell you now, my mum didn’t rock up when we signed Paul Hall.

Should be more worried if she did when we signed Peter Ndlovu to be fair.

usskyblue

Actually, if you read his book, Cyrille said he never wanted to go into coaching after coaching West Brom's reserves as it wasnt for him.

It may not have been for him, but he was part of a committee that was looking in to ways to increase opportunities for black coaches.

skyblueeyesrevisited

What annoys me is just because he’s a famous he decides he wants to play professional football and the money men make it happen. When next? Elton John starts for Watford on Saturday or Ken Barlow signs for Manchester United if compensation can be agreed with Wearherfield Unathlethetic. And don’t get me started on all of those wanabees that turn out for charity matches Gordon Ramsey, Robbie Williams mate who’s name escapes me, the bloke out of the Royal Family etc etc etc

no_loyalty

Bolt should try his luck up in Scotland, he would piss it in any of the league's up there

vow

Usain Bolt: Sprinter-turned-footballer declares his 'sports life over'

Lower than an average Sunday League players skills, decision making, first touch, awareness etc.

It was never gonna happen with a professional club unless just for financial purposes ie. bigger crowds, merchandise etc.

He was in a privileged position to get a trial in the first place, a lot of us would have snapped a clubs hand off for that type of opportunity, at any age never mind 32!

Central Coast Mariners and also Valletta offered him contracts, but couldn't reach an agreement over a deal!? I find this confusing, I'd have given my left bollock to be a pro-footballer and took a minimun wage or even less to play.
Something that his agent is possibly at fault for, for asking too much money, perhaps?

Edit: I do hope he sorts himself out with whatever he does in life from now on as he does come across as a fun, genuine type of bloke.

ajsccfc

He's one of those annoying types who'd just be good at anything they do, he already seems very media-friendly so you could easily see him doing TV like Michael Johnson does now.

Reactions: vow

mark_ccfc

We all like to think diversity is alive and well.. but it isn’t.

Football is as racist as it gets when it comes to the lack of black coaches. Regis wanted (AND DESERVED) more than coaching West Brom reserves.

Take a minute to think about all the white former players that are gifted golden coaching opportunities that have little or no coaching credentials.

We’re talking former England managers that didn’t even have any required coaching badges but were given a special pass.

*edit to add; m8
The lead bloke is - I saw him judging on dancing on ice the other night!

ajsccfc

Compared to proper footballers granted, but if teams are letting him train and not just taking a photo for Twitter and then showing him the door he's got to be a bit handy all the same. I thought he'd give long jump a go at some point, he could probably stride the qualifiying target alone.

Nick

Administrator
Compared to proper footballers granted, but if teams are letting him train and not just taking a photo for Twitter and then showing him the door he's got to be a bit handy all the same. I thought he'd give long jump a go at some point, he could probably stride the qualifiying target alone.

Unless it's all for a bit of PR.

He's obviously just quick, watching him on Soccer Aid he was a bit of a headless chicken

SkyBlueCRJ

Joking aside, you do wonder sometimes whether poorly attended clubs miss a trick by not trying to attract non football communities through signing 'one of their own'. It might sound strange, but within Coventry there are huge ethnic communities that rarely if ever attend, yet if it was one of their kids/relatives/friends/countrymen, you'd have swathes turn out to support them.

It’s been done before and failed miserably. Plus, the club neither have the time or resources to relaunch another similar campaign.

ajsccfc

Unless it's all for a bit of PR.

He's obviously just quick, watching him on Soccer Aid he was a bit of a headless chicken

Anyone signing him would have done it for the clicks and views for definite, but he's one of those people I hate who are naturally good at sport and had enough about him that he could have taken it up as a kid and done alright, I think cricket was another potential option for him too before a PE teacher saw that he could outpace the school bus while half-asleep in his pyjamas

vow

As Nick says, headless chicken, I'm afraid.
Saw him train and also play for Central Coast Mariners (on TV) where he did score 2 goals on his Full Friendly debut tbf and took the first one well, however my 86 yr old Mum could have poached the 2nd one!
He perhaps could have taken it up as a kid and made it, but as I read it, thought you meant now he could make it in football.

ajsccfc

Oh God no, waltzing into professional football at 32 can only go the way it did. Soccer Aid and exhibitions are about all he should be getting up to

hill83

tenor.gif

vow

One for you Nick, 4 seconds in......plus these were the 2 goals I was reffering too earrlier.

clint van damme

If usain bolt signed and put thousands on the gate i would be outside the ricoh with a tray of trinkets and shiny things to sell to the guillibe minded fuckers

Mcbean

Look - if Cashley Cole can sign for Derby why should'nt we sign Bolthead - i mean we have Coventry to offer

Think we should see if Usain Bolt fancies a move to The Ricoh.
Would probably stick a few thousand on the attendances plus the worldwide PR would be awesome.
We pulled off moves for Denis Wise & Joe Cole so who knows - we might be able to sort this one out.
One of many stumbling blocks could be the reported £1.6m salary over 2 years!
Usain Bolt: Eight-time Olympic champion 'turns down' Valletta contract
No chance of Doyler keeping up with him in training though! :emoji_runner::emoji_smile:

Can't be any worse than the 'strikers' we've got..

Users who are viewing this thread