Lets sign Usain Bolt (1 Viewer)

GaryJones

Think we should see if Usain Bolt fancies a move to The Ricoh.
Would probably stick a few thousand on the attendances plus the worldwide PR would be awesome.
We pulled off moves for Denis Wise & Joe Cole so who knows - we might be able to sort this one out.
One of many stumbling blocks could be the reported £1.6m salary over 2 years!
Usain Bolt: Eight-time Olympic champion 'turns down' Valletta contract
No chance of Doyler keeping up with him in training though! :emoji_runner::emoji_smile:

Covkid1968#

Poor mans John Williams ....not for me....
Actually..... had a rethink..... lettering on the back of the shirt would be cheap I guess. ..... yep worth a punt

Sky Blue Harry H

From a marketing ploy - great, but clubs like AC Milan are purportedly interested (although surely only from a financial point of view) Obviously a no go, and he's also bang average as a player - although quite quick, if reports are true!

Nick

Administrator
From a marketing ploy - great, but clubs like AC Milan are purportedly interested (although surely only from a financial point of view) Obviously a no go, and he's also bang average as a player - although quite quick, if reports are true!

Mo Farah did him for pace in Soccer Aid.

Captain Dart

Sign Farah. He won't ever stop running.

Alkhen

Not as quick as Ellery Cairo... and for that reason I'm out

Remember when we had some Asian player called Sunil Chetri on trial (was he Indian?), was the mumbai messi or something. Obviously bobbins but would have got some of his country folk to the Riicoh

Sky Blue Harry H

Not as quick as Ellery Cairo... and for that reason I'm out

Remember when we had some Asian player called Sunil Chetri on trial (was he Indian?), was the mumbai messi or something. Obviously bobbins but would have got some of his country folk to the Riicoh

Joking aside, you do wonder sometimes whether poorly attended clubs miss a trick by not trying to attract non football communities through signing 'one of their own'. It might sound strange, but within Coventry there are huge ethnic communities that rarely if ever attend, yet if it was one of their kids/relatives/friends/countrymen, you'd have swathes turn out to support them.

Nick

Administrator
Joking aside, you do wonder sometimes whether poorly attended clubs miss a trick by not trying to attract non football communities through signing 'one of their own'. It might sound strange, but within Coventry there are huge ethnic communities that rarely if ever attend, yet if it was one of their kids/relatives/friends/countrymen, you'd have swathes turn out to support them.

Did Freddie Eastwood do much for public relations?

Alkhen

I think that was Ranson plan when we took on Chetri but he was miles off the standard. And Coleman didnt want him.
Midway through the season though, reports came out suggesting that two Major League Soccer teams were interesting in Chhetri, along with his international teammate Steven Dias.[35] These two MLS sides were rumored to be the Los Angeles Galaxy and D.C. United. However, on 25 January 2009, Chhetri arrived in Coventry, England to begin a trial at Coventry City of the Football League Championship, thus rejecting MLS.[36] Four days later though, Coventry City manager Chris Coleman said that they would not be following their interest in Chhetri.[37] Four months later though, Chhetri said that he would go back to Coventry City in June 2009 for another extended trial.[38] That never materialized however.

hill83

No.

This is along the same lines as black people will always vote for a black candidate. Absolute nonsense.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I've seen Bolt play a few times and he's absolutely rubbish.

Obviously has pace as an incredible asset but it takes a lot more than just running fast in a straight line to be a footballer.

Could be good marketing but I'd be surprised if he made it remotely professional on a long term basis.

GaryJones

Fuck it - I don’t care what you think - if I win the Euromillions I will pay him myself to sign up for the Sky Blues - right, where’s my £2 I’m off to the newsagents!

hill83

Says the one who is bringing colour into it..........

Erm......I didn’t bring ethnic groups into it. I just gave an example as to why what he was saying was nonsense.
Do you reckon Coundon are out in force because Doyle plays for us?

Greggs

Erm......I didn’t bring ethnic groups into it. I just gave an example as to why what he was saying was nonsense.
Do you reckon Coundon are out in force because Doyle plays for us?
clown

hill83

You’ve clearly completely missed my point so we’ll leave it.

Actuallly I’ll spell it out. It’s hugely patronising to suggest that signing an ‘ethnic’ player of a certain ‘type’ will get that certain ‘ethnic type’ to turn up to games. I’ll tell you now, my mum didn’t rock up when we signed Paul Hall.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

Not as fast as Mo ? Bloody hell, most on here could trounce him?

Have you ever seen those videos of people on a running machine trying to run as fast as Mo’s average speed when winning the 5000 gold. You’ll be surprised at how fast he is.

If you’ve only ever watched athletics on TV watching it live can come as a shock, especially if you’re near the front at track level. You would never believe people can run that fast. Something of the reality gets lost when on TV and they look slower. A lot slower.

ajsccfc

I remember a video of members of the public trying to run alongside a video screen of a professional marathon runner's average pace, they had to properly go for it just to keep up for the 50m distance so to think they can do that for 26 miles is beyond my comprehension.

pipkin73

Mo lost to a dad wearing jeans on school family fun day. He was well embarrassed. Just proves your as good and your training
at that elite level.

Alkhen

Actuallly I’ll spell it out. It’s hugely patronising to suggest that signing an ‘ethnic’ player of a certain ‘type’ will get that certain ‘ethnic type’ to turn up to games. I’ll tell you now, my mum didn’t rock up when we signed Paul Hall.
I recon you are going a bit far there mate.

Where as players from Caribbean and african decent have graced the british leagues for years Asian players just haven't. Its a fact. Especially Pakistani and Indian players. I think you could count them on one hand.

Big teams like Manchester United always liked to have an asian superstar to benefit from the commercial bump that brings. Park and Kagawa were good players but before them they had Dong Fanghuzo hanging around the squad inexplicably for a few seasons. It would be naive to think that was it was for his footballing talents.

I could be wrong but if Cov signed whoever the equivalent of Chhetri is today there would be massive interest, here and in India.

You need trailblazers like Cyril Regis back in the 70s/80s he inspired a generation of kids, you only needed to listen to the reems of current and ex players that said as much when he died

usskyblue

We all like to think diversity is alive and well.. but it isn’t.

Football is as racist as it gets when it comes to the lack of black coaches. Regis wanted (AND DESERVED) more than coaching West Brom reserves.

Take a minute to think about all the white former players that are gifted golden coaching opportunities that have little or no coaching credentials.

We’re talking former England managers that didn’t even have any required coaching badges but were given a special pass.

*edit to add; m8

Last edited:

Greggs

I got your point, you used colour as the 'topic' in your post. I tried to make light of it with another 'colour' comment, but apparently that just gave you the chance to mount your EXTREMELY tall horse.

covcity4life

i like the thinking, no doubt about it would bring coventry worldwide attention and a few high attendances

impact sub and release end of season if hes no good

Users who are viewing this thread