Leon Clarke (1 Viewer)

skybluesteve76

He's all about the money.
I'm glad it's gone ties up for him.
I would never have him back because I'd seriously have to question his commitment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duffer

Regardless of him signing for Wolves, I'd still have him back. His only crime was to move to a bigger club for more money. If he wants to come back and pitch in for us again, I can't see the issue. He's not a fan, he's a professional footballer.

If it suited the club, because say of a lack of form, or a percieved lack of desire then we'd be getting shot of him pretty quickly, presumably with many fans backing. Loyalty and patience don't really exist in football any more, do they?

NorthernWisdom

Regardless of him signing for Wolves, I'd still have him back. His only crime was to move to a bigger club for more money. If he wants to come back and pitch in for us again, I can't see the issue. He's not a fan, he's a professional footballer.

If it suited the club, because say of a lack of form, or a percieved lack of desire then we'd be getting shot of him pretty quickly, presumably with many fans backing. Loyalty and patience don't really exist in football any more, do they?

They don't.

But Pressley doesn't seem the type to forget a grudge easily, and was less than overwhelmed when he left.

So it's not happening.

ollyservetta

no, rather give youth a chance ,are we not forgetting that he refused to play for us to get his way .think we can all agree that stability is the most important thing for city at the present ,wont get that with Clarke im afraid

The Gentleman

To be honest, Robo is right for a change ;) It is likely that we are going to be delving into the free or loan market again and with that you are only going to have a player for a whole season max but more likely half a season. Last seasons track record on signings was a car crash (excuse the wording) and with other players missing I am very fearful of relegation. At least with Clarke we would know exactly what we are getting and could still bring youth through because although we know the type of person he is, he can still do a very good job on the pitch for us in League 1 and the young players can at least see a good hold/link up player to learn from. Wouldn't bother me if he came because he didn't really do anything wrong, well not like Marlon King anyway and I am sure the goals he would score might win a few friends back.

skybluesteve76

His crime was refusing to play for us and forcing the move!

RoboCCFC90

To be honest, Robo is right for a change ;) It is likely that we are going to be delving into the free or loan market again and with that you are only going to have a player for a whole season max but more likely half a season. Last seasons track record on signings was a car crash (excuse the wording) and with other players missing I am very fearful of relegation. At least with Clarke we would know exactly what we are getting and could still bring youth through because although we know the type of person he is, he can still do a very good job on the pitch for us in League 1 and the young players can at least see a good hold/link up player to learn from. Wouldn't bother me if he came because he didn't really do anything wrong, well not like Marlon King anyway and I am sure the goals he would score might win a few friends back.

My day is complete now I have your approval ;)

The Gentleman

Pressley has done many good things.

His signing of strikers most certainly not being among them!

Just strikers, think it is just about most of them. What concerns me about Pressley's player judgement is that he was a defender so he should see what is good in a defender and also have a good eye for a striker due to playing against them his whole career.

NorthernWisdom

Just strikers, think it is just about most of them. What concerns me about Pressley's player judgement is that he was a defender so he should see what is good in a defender and also have a good eye for a striker due to playing against them his whole career.

Yeah,I know we're on a budget(!) but we had a fair old turnover of players who didn't really settle or stay.

The only stable one really being Webster, and I'm not over-convinced by him... and he's one where each year older, you wait anxiously for his De Zeuww moment.

Paxman II

There are not many players who would stay put for loyalty alone. A footballers career is a short one remember. The likes of say gerrard in the premiership is different, after all 150k a week or 160k a week is big however you look at it and a testimonial to boot! In the lower leagues it's very different. 2k a week and if you could double it why wouldn't you?
There seems an opportunity here to get the partnership back again surely? As for Clarke if he replicated that form again with us and Wilson then Wolves may bring him back. That would be his aim I would have thought?
The old question is...would it be as fruitful as before? Things change.

shmmeee

Webster has hardly impressed for me either (though I didn't see any of us later in the season).

Massive holes to fill in the squad this summer. Only him and Seaborne are over 23!

johnwillomagic

Where's Baker gone to cash his giant monthly salary into the bank? He is still under contract and will sit it out and pick up the wages...no-one will
rate him highly enough to offer him a deal on current salary that's for sure.

chiefdave

From what he's been saying on Facebook he's just bought a new house locally so if he has gone it wouldn't seem he was expecting to be gone!

skybluesteve76

Shopping? nando's? have his hair done? Spray tan?
Or if you are insinuating he is leaving, what's the source?

Bakes has been told he can find another club and he has just moved house! So no he wasn't expecting it!
All from the man himself!

shmmeee

Shopping? nando's? have his hair done? Spray tan?
Or if you are insinuating he is leaving, what's the source?

Edgy on GMK apparently. Baker said something on the golf course. But to be honest, I'm not massively surprised if it's true, he seemed to be out of favour a bit.

duffer

His crime was refusing to play for us and forcing the move!

Did he refuse to play - or was he actually injured? I'm not claiming to know either way, but the only thing I can recall is this.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ws/coventry-city-boss-steven-pressley-6641076

There's no doubt the manager thought he could play, but he wouldn't be the first player to take himself out of the firing line with a niggling injury, when there's a big move in the offing.

Personally, with where we are, I could live with it if he came back. I don't expect loyalty from players, clubs, or fans - it's a short-term game these days.

Covstu

I think from Pressley's perspective he pulled out rather than wanting to play ala Dublin! I remember thinking at the Arsenal game when he looked lacklustre and not interested that he should be putting himself in the shop window but i guess the deal was vertually tied up by then so he had nowt to prove.

skybluesteve76

I Remember how angry SP was on that radio interview on the drive home from Orient!
I'd say Leon refused to play!
Also football isn't a short term game for fans is it, we are the only ones who have loyalty!

skybluegod

I wouldn't take him back. If he had left in a correct manner and still gave his all in every game leading up to his sale then no problem. But he didn't care, he must of had 2/3 good opportunities against arsenal but he didn't care. He refused to play which is just wrong. He's a journey man and that's all he ever will be.

duffer

I Remember how angry SP was on that radio interview on the drive home from Orient!
I'd say Leon refused to play!
Also football isn't a short term game for fans is it, we are the only ones who have loyalty!

I don't doubt fans' loyalty to the club - but how about to players? I'm thinking here of things like the 'bomb squad' and how many supported that idea. We're quick to demand that players are loyal to the club, right up until the point that we don't want them any more. Managers too, for that matter. I'm not trying to provoke a row here, just saying that it's more nuanced.

Does anyone remember Huckerby reportedly crying when we sold him to Leeds, and he didn't want to go. Not much loyalty shown there. The bitter truth is that when it suits them clubs treat players like pieces of meat, and conversely players treat clubs as stepping stones to greater things when it suits them. I've given up getting angry about it. Mostly. ;)

runner

Yeah ... down to not having the money to pay his wages, not down to not wanting his goal scoring ability ... SISU won't want his wage bill back !

mark82

He goes to Wolves when we needed him and now he's back in League One with Crawley.
What a piss take that is but he's all for himself so good riddance.And as for taking him back it shows that some fans have lost all pride in our club if they want him back.He left us at a crucial time of the season,breaking up a great strike partnership in the process.

I'd have another year of great strike partnership. We were heading towards the playoffs. He went to his hometown club, not another random club. I know the way he did it was terrible but beggars can't be choosers.

Users who are viewing this thread