Leicester University (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

OK, have read it now.

My first thoughts are:

1. I don't trust the narrative; I'd like to hear the other side of the story. This page is for an activist group calling on people to boycott Leicester University and so I feel they are likely to have told the story in the most biased way possible... which may even stretch to being completely disingenuous.

2. This is for a degree in Business. When I were a lad, Business Admin degrees covered Economics; Management Theory; Statistics etc. It sounds as if LU want it to be a vocational course, preparing students in a practical way to enter the world of office work at management levels. These lecturers all seem to focus on postmodern sociological theory etc. which would be fuck all use in any office environment I've ever worked in. It could well be a step to make the course relevant - not cancellation.

Not enough information here to be certain of anything.

skybluetony176

No I wouldn't because I'm not a lunatic who has completely lost grip of reality.
What's the animal welfare like in North Korea anyway? Similar to here or...?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Mmmmm. Reality hey. Yeah you’re right. I should be pro cancelling history because it doesn’t fit an ideology.

LastGarrison

Research funding has been cut. These roles bring no significant money into the Uni and redundancies have to be made is how I read that.

The whole sector is struggling and is about to get worse. This is a massive shame and research brings so much more than just money but universities are now essentially businesses.

Leicester, from my understanding, have actually done well in protecting jobs whereas the likes of Surrey offered all of their staff voluntary redundancies and many others have let a lot of people go. Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff all spring to mind but they’re just the more high profile ones.

The current government have made it clear that HE is not a priority and the sector has been hit massively by Brexit and the pandemic. Pensions are also taking their toll and the recommendations in the Augar report (lower fees and post result offers) are still to be implemented and this is also on the backdrop of a government drive of promoting apprenticeships, which I actually don’t disagree with.

I may have put it on here before but the rumours are that at least 30 Uni’s are in serious trouble and are at risk of going under or the best case scenario being taken over or merged into another and I believe the likes of SOAS are at the top of that list.

D

Deleted member 4439

You’re missing the point. If you support all that (as do I), you shouldn’t support the government shutting down speech they don’t like. And that’s far more concerning than a few blue fringes having a tantrum.

There is conflation going on here. We are not talking about the wider Protection of Freedoms Bill, which most certainly is not something I support, and which is an oppressive act. We are talking about the HE Freedom of Speech act. In what way does that act close down free speech rather than protect it?

D

Deleted member 4439

Research funding has been cut. These roles bring no significant money into the Uni and redundancies have to be made is how I read that.

The whole sector is struggling and is about to get worse. This is a massive shame and research brings so much more than just money but universities are now essentially businesses.

Leicester, from my understanding, have actually done well in protecting jobs whereas the likes of Surrey offered all of their staff voluntary redundancies and many others have let a lot of people go. Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff all spring to mind but they’re just the more high profile ones.

The current government have made it clear that HE is not a priority and the sector has been hit massively by Brexit and the pandemic. Pensions are also taking their toll and the recommendations in the Augar report (lower fees and post result offers) are still to be implemented and this is also on the backdrop of a government drive of promoting apprenticeships, which I actually don’t disagree with.

I may have put it on here before but the rumours are that at least 30 Uni’s are in serious trouble and are at risk of going under or the best case scenario being taken over or merged into another and I believe the likes of SOAS are at the top of that list.

I wonder if the impact of forecasted numbers of Chinese students? For sure, one day Coventry is going to be left with an awful lot of tenant blocks.

D

Deleted member 4439

I would read up on the history of North Korea if I was you. You might find a lot of events that have happened there over the last century alarmingly familiar to what’s happening here in the last decade.

You need to keep up. David Icke has actually said that North Korea doesn't exist, and that Kim John Um is a fictional character.

LastGarrison

I wonder if the impact of forecasted numbers of Chinese students? For sure, one day Coventry is going to be left with an awful lot of tenant blocks.
They’re actually holding up OK and nowhere near as bad as most predicted. Brexit and the lack of EU students for September, and going forward, will have a much bigger effect.

However, a lot of this has been negated by the reintroduction of the post study work visa which means that the South Asian market, and India in particular, is booming.

When the UK ended the post study work visa, about 10 years ago, the number of students from South Asia dropped significantly and there was a migration to the US, Australia and lately Canada and NZ but with the reintroduction of the two year post study work visa and the loosening of the immigration requirements for staying longer, and Boris factoring this in with his deals with Modi, the lights are on and burning bright!

Expect over the next few years that the dominance of Chinese students at UK Universities is rivalled, if not overtaken, by South Asian students.

D

Deleted member 4439

They’re actually holding up OK and nowhere near as bad as most predicted. Brexit and the lack of EU students for September, and going forward, will have a much bigger effect.

However, a lot of this has been negated by the reintroduction of the post study work visa which means that the South Asian market, and India in particular, is booming.

When the UK ended the post study work visa, about 10 years ago, the number of students from South Asia dropped significantly and there was a migration to the US, Australia and lately Canada and NZ but with the reintroduction of the two year post study work visa and the loosening of the immigration requirements for staying longer, and Boris factoring this in with his deals with Modi, the lights are on and burning bright!

Expect over the next few years that the dominance of Chinese students at UK Universities is rivalled, if not overtaken, by South Asian students.

That's interesting, thank you.

shmmeee

There is conflation going on here. We are not talking about the wider Protection of Freedoms Bill, which most certainly is not something I support, and which is an oppressive act. We are talking about the HE Freedom of Speech act. In what way does that act close down free speech rather than protect it?

Ah, I’m talking specifically about the pressure being put on academics on what they can and can’t teach, CRT for example, while I think it’s a load of nonsense, I’m generally against the government prescribing what can and can’t be taught.

skybluetony176

You need to keep up. David Icke has actually said that North Korea doesn't exist, and that Kim John Um is a fictional character.
That’s David Icke who shares a lot of ideology with the Conservative common sense group. Anti lockdown, anti woke, anti extinction rebellion just of the top of my head.

shmmeee

Polling on who should be allowed to speak at unis, some interesting results.

C705BC01-D495-481D-812A-D39C704DF982.jpeg

Personally I find it fascinating I’m considered more of a threat for thinking sex exists than everyone bar racists, jihadis and Holocaust deniers. Though the question on that is a case study in bias in phrasing.

Users who are viewing this thread