Leicester University (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

Are they being sacked or made redundant?
They're being sacked under the auspices of being 'made redundant'. This would not happen if they had a different research agenda, and a different political drive to their research.

Suffice to say their research, their union activity, and their critique of management does not align with a department that puts making money ahead of academic rigour, and the ability to challenge the status quo.

Nick

Administrator
They're being sacked under the auspices of being 'made redundant'. This would not happen if they had a different research agenda, and a different political drive to their research.

Suffice to say their research, their union activity, and their critique of management does not align with a department that puts making money ahead of academic rigour, and the ability to challenge the status quo.

Yeah but made redundant and sacked is different things isn't it?

NorthernWisdom

The difference is being walked down the stairs to the door as opposed to being thrown out the window. Either way you are out of a job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many ways you can remove people you don't want there, legally. The old classic that happened at one local authority, was to make their posts redundant, then mix up the job descriptions and ask people to re-apply for the 'new' posts... except this time at the bottom of the pay grade or, in some cases, at a lower pay grade with a different job title.

'New' posts, but same old duties just mixed up slightly randomly.

Effectively, sacked. But no comeback for unfair dismissal.

skybluetony176

The country is heading in a shocking North Korea direction. The National Trust has been under fire for a while now for wanting to inform more of the history of the properties they care for. Such as where the money come from in the first place to build said building. The same people who moan about cancel culture call it rewriting history whereas the reality is it’s un-cancelling history and telling the full history. Or truth as it’s otherwise known. We’re being cheerleaded into a country where too much education is seen as a bad thing. Pol Pot is looking down smiling. I’m as thick as fuck but I wear glasses so my days will soon be numbered if this direction of travel is allowed to continue.

NorthernWisdom

The National Trust has been under fire for a while now for wanting to inform more of the history of the properties they care for. Such as where the money come from in the first place to build said building. The same people who moan about cancel culture call it rewriting history whereas the reality is it’s un-cancelling history and telling the full history.
Yeah, that's utter madness - it's not political to tell the full story and, let's face it, rich people usually don't get rich by being nice to everybody! None of us can help what people before us did, but just say it as part of what happened!

shmmeee

I’m sure Toby Young’s Free Speech Union is on the case, and I bet the government will have something to say with their new crusade against cancel culture.

mrtrench

Beware poststructuralism eh - don't want any of this Derrida shit around here!

Derrida = sophistry.

Haven't read the link - will do tomorrow, spending time with my wife just now. Just wanted to register that I think Derrida wrote absolute bollocks. If he had to write his theories in algebra it would never have got past a bright GCSE student.

D

Deleted member 4439

The country is heading in a shocking North Korea direction. The National Trust has been under fire for a while now for wanting to inform more of the history of the properties they care for. Such as where the money come from in the first place to build said building. The same people who moan about cancel culture call it rewriting history whereas the reality is it’s un-cancelling history and telling the full history. Or truth as it’s otherwise known. We’re being cheerleaded into a country where too much education is seen as a bad thing. Pol Pot is looking down smiling. I’m as thick as fuck but I wear glasses so my days will soon be numbered if this direction of travel is allowed to continue.

What utter rot. How you have managed to weave in the efforts of an institution to make itself more inclusive with a criticism of deplatforming is just so typical of the ad hominem argument used by a minority on this forum. Of course you can support what the Trust are doing whilst decrying deplatfoming.

Last edited by a moderator:

oscillatewildly

Don't blame me, blame Leicester University.

The Associate Professor in Finance and Political Economy being dismissed for doing research in Political Economy is especially impressive - as is Gareth Brown's beard.
I thought Gareth Brown's 'Rationale for sacking' was going to read: "Far too much unauthorised absence spent touring in a ZZ Top tribute act".

skybluetony176

What utter rot. How you have managed to weave in the efforts of an institution to make itself more inclusive with a criticism of deplatforming is just so typical of the ad hominem argument used by a minority on this forum. Of course you can support what the Trust are doing whilst decrying deplatfoming.
You can’t speak out about the so called cancel culture and promote the cancellation of our history at the same time. It’s hypocrisy of the highest order and the warnings of such behaviour are still raw and in living memory.

Last edited:

shmmeee

Simply repeating your assertion does not win your argument. Either you simply fail to comprehend the alternative positions and differing views being put to you, or you are simply be boringly wilful.

I, for one fully support what the Trust is doing just as I, for example, support the right of JK Rowling to express her concerns on the (now pulled) self-identifying gender legislation. The two are neither incompatible or congruent. In fact, I'd say they are very compatible and congruent.

I'd even support that twat Laurence Fox taking a platform to say that what the Trust is doing is revisionism. He might be talking crap, but by doing so he gives the debate the oxygen of publicity. Personally, I'd also allow holocaust deniers to make twats of themselves as well, were it not for the hurt this would bring to those for whom it is a living memory.

You’re missing the point. If you support all that (as do I), you shouldn’t support the government shutting down speech they don’t like. And that’s far more concerning than a few blue fringes having a tantrum.

skybluetony176

You’re missing the point. If you support all that (as do I), you shouldn’t support the government shutting down speech they don’t like. And that’s far more concerning than a few blue fringes having a tantrum.
Exactly. The self proclaimed “common sense group” of Conservative MP’s want to shut down talk of anything from our history of slavery to the climate crisis while at the same time bemoaning the so called cancel culture. It’s pure duality.

skybluetony176

You're a hysterical girls blouse Tony. North Korea for goodness sake. Maybe log off for a week and get some air.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I would read up on the history of North Korea if I was you. You might find a lot of events that have happened there over the last century alarmingly familiar to what’s happening here in the last decade.

TomRad85

I would read up on the history of North Korea if I was you. You might find a lot of events that have happened there over the last century alarmingly familiar to what’s happening here in the last decade.
No I wouldn't because I'm not a lunatic who has completely lost grip of reality.
What's the animal welfare like in North Korea anyway? Similar to here or...?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Marty

Don't really want to get involved in this, but, pritty much every empire/nation in the history of our species has had/dealt in slavery. We were no different, and I'm sure it still goes on today in the developing nations, Would it be fair to argue that no other nation has done as much as the UK to end slavery?

If someone wants to deny the holocaust, then they should, but should be treated like the idiot that they are, they're on par with flat earther's and young earth creationists.

This thread seems to be more, I can't believe someone with the same political leanings as me has been cancelled as opposed to cancel culture is stupid (which it is).

Users who are viewing this thread