Leicester points deduction (2 Viewers)

Grendel

So smaller clubs should be allowed to financially dope and abuse the system that fucks every club below them in pursuit of the “top 6”?

who wins in this overall race to the bottom?

Man City and Chelsea have manipulated and abused the system more than any club. Man Utd are financially bankrupt and wouldn’t exist in any other industry.

HadjiChippo

But that’s a similar argument to your “divides in business are natural”

other businesses use contacts etc to catch up. I much prefer Man City, Chelsea, Leicester and Newcastle to United and Liverpool becuase they’re effectively sticking it to them
the “sticking it to them” eventually just ends up replacing them though, Man City are light years clear of Utd and to a lesser extent Liverpool off field and on in terms of success over the past decade.

Any club with an Abu Dhabi, Saudi or Qatar unabated and free of FFP would quickly end up in the same position, and then your Arsenal/Man Utd just ends up being Man City/Newcastle or anyone else with a Saudi royal family member owner. It’s not competition but replacing one hegemony with another. I’d rather the one that has at least a semi natural growth behind it, to the plastic money injected one.

HadjiChippo

Man City and Chelsea have manipulated and abused the system more than any club. Man Utd are financially bankrupt and wouldn’t exist in any other industry.
Man Utd are probably the world’s biggest commercial team, if the glaziers attempted to buy the club now the way they did 20 years ago and saddle them with debt, it absolutely wouldn’t be allowed

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

the “sticking it to them” eventually just ends up replacing them though, Man City are light years clear of Utd and to a lesser extent Liverpool off field and on in terms of success over the past decade.

Any club with an Abu Dhabi, Saudi or Qatar unabated and free of FFP would quickly end up in the same position, and then your Arsenal/Man Utd just ends up being Man City/Newcastle or anyone else with a Saudi royal family member owner. It’s not competition but replacing one hegemony with another. I’d rather the one that has at least a semi natural growth behind it, to the plastic money injected one.
But the way the system has been set up - it doesn’t allow natural growth. Man Utd benefitted and pushed for 100% of home ticket sales. I’m sure it used to be similar to the FA Cup set up.

they only want fair and equal competition when they’re behind. Real Madrid are the same. They’ve become a European powerhouse off the back of the Spanish royal family and shady land deals. Now they’ve neutered the Spanish league they’re throwing their toys out the pram because they can’t compete anymore

Grendel

There’s also the ridiculous scenario that if Chelsea won the Carabou cup they’d have been facing huge sanctions for breaching EUFA regulations

skybluericoh

So smaller clubs should be allowed to financially dope and abuse the system that fucks every club below them in pursuit of the “top 6”?

who wins in this overall race to the bottom?
The players and the agents, but only until they squeeze the goose that lays the golden eggs to death. Then it will move to the oil rich countries.

HadjiChippo

If that was the only case - FFP would make provisions for wealthy individuals to spunk as much money as they want

if I became a billionaire I should be able to spend a billion on players for CCFC. They didn’t. The idea was as you stated. But implementation was pushed and bulled by the big 6 - pretty much how they’re bullying the EFL on the checkatrade trophy.

id even go one further - the reason teams were spunking so much money was because of the financial hoarding by the same teams causing the divide between the prem and the EFL.
But that’s not sustainable (Billionaire Coventry analogy), for example at any point Roman Abramovich could’ve cut his funding of Chelsea during the 00sand the clubs debt to him would’ve bankrupted them into non existence. They never reached self sufficiency under his ownership if I recall correctly. Had he chose to play hardball with the UK govt over Ukraine/Russia situation, the club would’ve ceased to exist. This is a risk with any wealthy individual pumping money into a club. What happens if the unforeseen happens and the money tap stops? The fans get fucked and their club goes under.

FFP is about building sustainable clubs so they aren’t a few bad months from ending up in oblivion. I don’t blame clubs for leveraging it to hurt State owned super clubs with unlimited wealth, should never have been allowed in the first place.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

But that’s not sustainable (Billionaire Coventry analogy), for example at any point Roman Abramovich could’ve cut his funding of Chelsea during the 00sand the clubs debt to him would’ve bankrupted them into non existence. They never reached self sufficiency under his ownership if I recall correctly. Had he chose to play hardball with the UK govt over Ukraine/Russia situation, the club would’ve ceased to exist. This is a risk with any wealthy individual pumping money into a club. What happens if the unforeseen happens and the money tap stops? The fans get fucked and their club goes under.

FFP is about building sustainable clubs so they aren’t a few bad months from ending up in oblivion. I don’t blame clubs for leveraging it to hurt State owned super clubs with unlimited wealth, should never have been allowed in the first place.
It may not be - but as I said, due to the hurdles in place and the gross hoarding of wealth. It’s the only way to compete, and if you get it right you build the worldwide fanbase. As is every business’s right

like I said FFP - keeps the status quo. My personal take is that owner loans should be banned. You should be able to invest all you want, on the proviso it’s a gift. Makes owner’s think about it

HadjiChippo

It may not be - but as I said, due to the hurdles in place and the gross hoarding of wealth. It’s the only way to compete, and if you get it right you build the worldwide fanbase. As is every business’s right

like I said FFP - keeps the status quo. My personal take is that owner loans should be banned. You should be able to invest all you want, on the proviso it’s a gift. Makes owner’s think about it
Honestly I don’t think anyone has the answer (FFP either goes too far or not far enough depending on who you ask), clubs especially can’t be trusted because they’re all looking out for themselves (it’s why they can’t be trusted to not vote on a closed PL shop, or the “big 6” to be trusted ever again to not form a breakaway league)

I just don’t trust that allowing super owners to pump in unlimited cash is the answer, I’d imagine almost every club in the PL and Championship have owners/investors who’s wealth dwarfs ours, why should all of our good work the last 3/4 years be undone because we don’t have a sheikh, royal or a mega corp own us? I think King Power wrote off hundreds of millions owed to them by Leicester like it was nothing, debt that would sink us regular clubs.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Honestly I don’t think anyone has the answer (FFP either goes too far or not far enough depending on who you ask), clubs especially can’t be trusted because they’re all looking out for themselves (it’s why they can’t be trusted to not vote on a closed PL shop, or the “big 6” to be trusted ever again to not form a breakaway league)

I just don’t trust that allowing super owners to pump in unlimited cash is the answer, I’d imagine almost every club in the PL and Championship have owners/investors who’s wealth dwarfs ours, why should all of our good work the last 3/4 years be undone because we don’t have a sheikh, royal or a mega corp own us? I think King Power wrote off hundreds of millions owed to them by Leicester like it was nothing, debt that would sink us regular clubs.
As you’ve said they can’t be trusted - they’ve messed it up that badly we’ve had to get a regulator in.

now how this particular government manages that is another worry but that’s a whole different argument

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d prefer a divisional cap on player expenditure

skybluericoh

If any business spent anywhere near 85% of income/ turnover on wages they would go bust overnight.
rich owners shouldn’t be allowed to loan any money to a club. Rent a box for 20 million a season, sponsor the ground or club shirts for whatever they want, but if they then walk away that money has gone . All the club has to do then is cover wages. Maybe they have to sell to do that, but other than a natural reset which may mean a few stuff seasons, they should survive.

I quite enjoy Man U fans moaning about the rich owners that have come. They wanted the rich to get richer and a closed shop. Different now the boot is on the other foot.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

I’d prefer a divisional cap on player expenditure
See I’m not - that would have to be a worldwide thing or else the premier league would lose out on big names.

means the product will be devalued and less money available.

I for one would welcome any state entity who would spunk billions on us to make us a power

oakey

They've always ran a fine line between fair practices and cheating.
Theyre going to be sponsored by Tampax next year because they are a bunch of c*nts !
Ashdown, Please delete this post. It is disgusting and must be in breach of all standards of decency.
You would not make a blatantly racist post so withdraw a blatantly sexist post.

Brylowes

I haven’t read through the thread yet (haven’t had time) but supposing Leicester go on to achieve promotion, the Premier league then make their move re: FFP breaches and the club are found guilty.
I presume in this scenario a sizeable points deduction and fine would then be imposed on the club 🤔 would Leicester still go on to receive all the financial rewards usually associated with promotion.

Last edited:
Leicester, a small provincial club historically more suited to the 3rd tier of English football, will be back to their natural habitat within 3 years as basically they are finished as a football club. They cheated, they now have been caught, they will have to sell most of their better players and what will happen is they get promoted to the PL this season, are now guaranteed to come straight back down next season, and will then go straight down again into L1.
Don’t get the hatred for us but Leicester is a bigger City than Coventry. Yep we are finished as a club now and so when we rise again I shall look forward to going to the
smaller grpunds.

What does that make Cov then. What have you ever won bar 1987?

Travs

Don’t get the hatred for us but Leicester is a bigger City than Coventry. Yep we are finished as a club now and so when we rise again I shall look forward to going to the
smaller grpunds.

Aren't we forgetting a little something called the Johnston's Paint Trophy....?

Covkid1968#

smaller grpunds.

You gave the world its socks, knickers and crisps. Thank you guys.

Travs

I know some Forest die-hards.

They don't like Leicester one bit tbf. But the real beef is obviously with Derby.

blunted

smaller grpunds.

As someone who was born in Coventry and lived in Leicester next door to one of your old Directors (his name escapes me now but was a twat) in Stoneygate, I can categorically state Leicester is not a bigger city than Coventry in terms of population or acreage. Leicester is a county town so has a good catchment, but so has Coventry with a north and south Warwickshire area that is massive. Both towns have identical A, B, C etc population profiles. Although I have not lived in Leicester since the late 90s, at that time, most of the asian and afro-carribean people I worked with supported Man U and Arsenal. Coventry has a lower population percentage from these groups. Leicester got lucky with the way they avoided points deductions and got a lot of money when it was most helpful.
You winning the Prem was awesome, but you are only bigger than Coventry at the moment in terms of football history and current performance. The world turns and these things change very quickly. Just look at Ipswich and Stoke.

Covkid1968#

As someone who was born in Coventry and lived in Leicester next door to one of your old Directors (his name escapes me now but was a twat) in Stoneygate, I can categorically state Leicester is not a bigger city than Coventry in terms of population or acreage. Leicester is a county town so has a good catchment, but so has Coventry with a north and south Warwickshire area that is massive. Both towns have identical A, B, C etc population profiles. Although I have not lived in Leicester since the late 90s, at that time, most of the asian and afro-carribean people I worked with supported Man U and Arsenal. Coventry has a lower population percentage from these groups. Leicester got lucky with the way they avoided points deductions and got a lot of money when it was most helpful.
You winning the Prem was awesome, but you are only bigger than Coventry at the moment in terms of football history and current performance. The world turns and these things change very quickly. Just look at Ipswich and Stoke.
Plucky little Leicester winning the premier League… oh but at the time they were one of the richest clubs in English football so wasn’t completely out the realms of possibility. They will find their true level once more… somewhere in that twighlight zone between the PL and the Championship. 😎

Ashdown

Plucky little Leicester winning the premier League… oh but at the time they were one of the richest clubs in English football so wasn’t completely out the realms of possibility. They will find their true level once more… somewhere in that twighlight zone between the PL and the Championship. 😎
Quite they were never exactly plucky little Leicester….the shits have been bank rolled by billionaires for a while now….and still they cheat 🤔😡

TewkesburySkyBlue

So you obviously prefer the Big Greedy Six or Seven that have destroyed everything about English Football. Clubs like ours need to stick together.

Still don’t understand your rivalry with us, but each to their own of course.

Rivalry aside, we won the PL and the FA Cup in recent history and it’s such a shame that it is only a select few clubs will ever win them now. Even your local transport, Reader Transport, harps on about your Cup win in ‘87 - blimey

Blame lies at the foot of the big clubs and their ‘closed shop monopoly’.
I agree I have no problem with Leicester City. A lot of these posts are just jealousy .

Users who are viewing this thread