Lee Burge (1 Viewer)

Gilbo

He has really stepped up, commanding his area and his kicking has improved too. I don’t think a keeper is now a priority. Obviously some will disagree.

ashbyjan

Before the game I said to my mate (a Wolves fan up for the day) that our keeper was dodgy and prone to the odd mistake - after the game he was questioning my assessment in no uncertain terms saying he looked bloody good. I agree that he has matured and there maybe bigger priorities

Monners

He seems to hold his concentration in the big games. Thought he did well yesterday as well as the semi final games. I got a bit frustrated with him when he punted it straight to their keeper a few times. That was when I wanted him to aim for the corner flags - a minor complaint though

SkyBlueScottie

Burger is still young for a keeper and has the problem of having made mistakes in our 1st team, therefore some will never change their opinion of him. He will be tested a bit more next season but I think he will do ok, mistakes will still be made, but a crucial aspect of his game is that he can pull off a big save to help keep us in the game etc.

wingy

He seems to hold his concentration in the big games. Thought he did well yesterday as well as the semi final games. I got a bit frustrated with him when he punted it straight to their keeper a few times. That was when I wanted him to aim for the corner flags - a minor complaint though
It simply has to be this .
Focus,concentration and Confidence are the areas he has to overcome to be a solid competitor.

Greggs

Still a few years off his prime, would be a shame to miss out on them after the roller-coaster years he's already provided!

Colin Steins Smile

We need to see him maintain a high level of consistency next season. Unfortunately, this season he has made some unforced errors that cost us points, but at other times been a great shot stopper. If he improves his decision making, kicking and dealing with crosses he will give our back four great confidence.

Brylowes

Keepers tend to make the step up to the first team later in years than any other position, Because
of the financial position of the club he stepped up sooner than he probably should have.
He seems to have come through it unscathed ‘and for me now looks a proper keeper in every sense,
If he keeps improving next season at the same rate, I think our main worry will be losing him rather
Than whether to replace him.

no_loyalty

Yes he makes the odd mistake, and needs to work on a couple of things but his shot stopping is outstanding, as proved in the last two games.

I would keep him as our number one, the cash would be better spent elsewhere

Brylowes

Opinion hasn’t changed; still need a replacement now we’ve gone up. Yes he’s improved, so might be worth keeping on for him to learn over a more senior pro, but he shouldn’t be a started now that we’ve gone up for me.
I just think we’ve been watching him in the first team at a time he shouldn’t have been in it
He should have been learning his trade away from the pressures of first team football.
The fact it hasn’t broken him says a lot about his temperament, he’s progressing really well
Now and every part of his game is improving all the time, it’s all about opinions obviously
But in my opinion I think we could have a top keeper on our hands.

Grendel

It’s a myth about many goalkeepers playing when older.

Sky Blue Harry H

Cash will be tight, wages up?, fees to be paid? I think we need to look at right wing (unless JJ is played there), A long term Doyle replacement, possible left back and right back cover. Also, depending on who may leave, we need to look at their areas of the pitch. For me, I think Burge is fine over a season. Show me a keeper in the top 2 leagues (possibly Championship) who doesn't make the odd cock up - we just don't take any notice of them (unless of Karius proportion)

Blind-Faith

I’d get the lad who was was on loan at Shrewsbury from United , Dean Henderson , looks a top top keeper and Burge will be fine for no.2

Ricketts

I played in goal until I was 45.
Did you start off shit, and improve as you got older, or were you always shit, or were you always great?

Was your shot stopping better than your kicking? Did your keeping get analysed by keyboard warriors?

Did you think that your position was more analysed than any other, because one error could be costly?

Do you think Lee Burhe and Liam O'Brien are quite good for our level, and we should give them our full support?

IrishSkyBlue

Facebook User
I think for me yes he look to got better but def back up keeper my issue is his consistency improves that and yes he should be number one

CJ_covblaze

He was good enough last season, this season and still will be next season. Need to look at the bigger picture too in terms of where the money is best spent. For example I would rather he was our number one for say a grand a week and we had a striker on 1500, rather than another keeper with 400 games under his belt on 1500 leaving just a grand for the striker. We know what we’re getting with Burge. He’s one of the best in L2 and there are very few better than him in L1.

We’ve been here before. We sold our best player and released a competent centre half to bring in one centre half that wasn’t good enough. The result was relegation.

steve82

Heres a hypothetical question, should we receive a cash offer for him this summer how many on here would be tempted to cash in on him with his stock at his highest of his career and 12 months left of his current deal

Say the offer was 200k. Cash in or even tie him down to a better contract and move forwards with him as No1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Did you start off shit, and improve as you got older, or were you always shit, or were you always great?

Was your shot stopping better than your kicking? Did your keeping get analysed by keyboard warriors?

Did you think that your position was more analysed than any other, because one error could be costly?

Do you think Lee Burhe and Liam O'Brien are quite good for our level, and we should give them our full support?
Twat

Adge

Heres a hypothetical question, should we receive a cash offer for him this summer how many on here would be tempted to cash in on him with his stock at his highest of his career and 12 months left of his current deal

Say the offer was 200k. Cash in or even tie him down to a better contract and move forwards with him as No1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cash in. I have slightly changed my opinion on him and think we should retain for next season but as a back up. He knows at present that he is no1 and is not really getting pushed by LOB. At least when RCC was here they were both being kept on their toes.

covcity4life

caps of a much improved and good season for him

he still makes mistakes but not as many as season before. we need the same level of improvement for him if he is to be good enough for a league 1 promotion chasing side

Ricketts

A bit harsh.

They were genuine questions trying to look at it from a goalkeepers point of view, based on some of the comments made about our keepers. (Who I think are good for our level, and will be a lot better than most in League One.)

SkyBlueCRJ

Definitely want to keep Burge between the sticks next season but now more than ever he needs an experienced head behind him who he can both learn from and compete with for that starting spot. LOB is a wasted wage as he won't push Burge due to the simple fact that he's not consistent enough to start.

PVA

He was good enough last season, this season and still will be next season. Need to look at the bigger picture too in terms of where the money is best spent. For example I would rather he was our number one for say a grand a week and we had a striker on 1500, rather than another keeper with 400 games under his belt on 1500 leaving just a grand for the striker. We know what we’re getting with Burge. He’s one of the best in L2 and there are very few better than him in L1.

We’ve been here before. We sold our best player and released a competent centre half to bring in one centre half that wasn’t good enough. The result was relegation.

Agree with every word of this.

The stick he has received this season is ridiculous. People seem to expect a De Gea and Buffon hybrid at League 2 level.

As CJ says he's one of the best in League 2 and will be fine in League One.

I don't think we'd be celebrating promotion right now if it wasn't for his save from Stead in the second leg of the semi finals.

fernandopartridge

The 'get rid of Burge' gang operate under a false premise, that being the availability of somebody better who is affordable.

Burge has much improved over the last 12 months, yes he still makes the odd mistake but show me a keeper, aside from the very top ones, who doesn't do that.

CJ_covblaze

The 'get rid of Burge' gang operate under a false premise, that being the availability of somebody better who is affordable.

Burge has much improved over the last 12 months, yes he still makes the odd mistake but show me a keeper, aside from the very top ones, who doesn't do that.

Even the top ones make mistakes. Look at Lloris and Ederson in recent months.

Sick Boy

Even the top ones make mistakes. Look at Lloris and Ederson in recent months.

The mistake away at Exeter was shocking. He has done very well over the last couple of months but if we're looking to progress out of LG 1 in the long term, we will need a better kepeer.

ccfc_ukr

Burge has obviously improved in recent months. What really impresses me is that despite his mistakes - which we would all love to see less of - he has bounced back and generally been consistently good. Hes not amazing, but for a young keeper, he has been pretty decent on the whole. The second thing is that even though he must know himself that his has the occassional howler in his locker, when the real big pressure cooker games have come along he has really held his nerve and given some of his best performances such as checkatrade, Notts County and the playoff final.

Users who are viewing this thread