League two transfers/news 2017/18 (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Kyle Storer has left Cheltenham Town

Bolton are keen on Accrington's Billy Kee. That will hamper there push for promotion

This is all good! I have a good feeling that we're going to keep our team together, and hopefully, the teams around us our weakened. I think even Bayliss will stay this window - we're not in a position where we have to sell because it'll go to tribunal if he leaves after his contract expires.

steve82

Peterborough are looking to offload Ricky Miller, I'd imagine a few L2 clubs will be enquiring.

Peterborough have said a fee will likely be involved for him.
He don't seem very popular in his short time there.

Esoterica

Peterborough are looking to offload Ricky Miller, I'd imagine a few L2 clubs will be enquiring.

Bit cheeky wanting a fee for him. 2017: A 6 game ban for biting an apponent, charged with assaulting a police officer and 0 goals in 13 games.

steve82

Bit cheeky wanting a fee for him. 2017: A 6 game ban for biting an apponent, charged with assaulting a police officer and 0 goals in 13 games.

I can see Forest Green enquiring or a side closer to the south east of England if he prefers a move back that way.

Londonccfcfan

Notts are gutted about Ryan Yates leaving. Thankgod we are not reliant on loans as much as the other teams in league two are.

covcity4life

Blackburn's squad is outrageous for L1.

Armstrong, Dack, Antonsson, Graham, Samuel

A milkman as a manager should be able to get a team with those players promoted.

Hahaha get those caveats in

So scsred that mowbray is doing well and slade poor

Face it. Covcity4life is always right

Otis

He failed here, but I still like Mowbray and do hope he does well.

He seems like a really decent bloke.

SkyBlueCRJ

Hasn't he got a court date for assaulting a police officer?

covcity4life

he had our best season in recent memory and 10 games of our worst

i will rememebr hima s one of the most successfull tbh

not that we have much competition there bar rabins mind.

SkyBlueCRJ

I liked Mowbray but his laziness in the transfer market cost him and us. But in fairness to him, he just wasn't accustomed to dealing with such a low budget.

covcity4life

I liked Mowbray but his laziness in the transfer market cost him and us. But in fairness to him, he just wasn't accustomed to dealing with such a low budget.
he did well the season before so makes you think was it just he set his targets too high or issues behind scenes with finance.

SkyBlueCRJ

he did well the season before so makes you think was it just he set his targets too high or issues behind scenes with finance.

Hence my use of the word "laziness". He largely relied on loans which inevitably cost him - at one point we had 6 loans

Once he realised that there was little chance of replicating the talent he recruited in the 2015/16 season he looked to unrealistic transfer opportunities such as Kelvin Wilson who realistically were never going to drop down a league whilst simultaneously cutting their wage by 10 fold. Like you said he set his targets too high - if he'd had freer use of a playing budget then I don't doubt he would've had another successful season with us but that wasn't the case.

The matter of fact is he had a budget that he had to stick to and subsequently struggled adapting to recruiting permanent transfers on a shoestring - something that wasn't an issue at his time at Middlesborough, West Brom or Celtic.

Note that his lack of knowledge of the lower leagues also cost him - the majority of signings were from higher leagues. He seemed reluctant to delve into anything below League One which could be interpreted as laziness, snobbishness or lack of preparedness. Whatever the reasoning behind his decision making he inevitably blind sided himself by not making use of other recruitment pools. Instead he was obsessed and fixated with recruiting ex-Championship / ex-Premiership players.

covcity4life

Hence my use of the word "laziness". He largely relied on loans which inevitably cost him - at one point we had 6 loans

Once he realised that there was little chance of replicating the talent he recruited in the 2015/16 season he looked to unrealistic transfer opportunities such as Kelvin Wilson who realistically were never going to drop down a league whilst simultaneously cutting their wage by 10 fold. Like you said he set his targets too high - if he'd had freer use of a playing budget then I don't doubt he would've had another successful season with us but that wasn't the case.

The matter of fact is he had a budget that he had to stick to and subsequently struggled adapting to recruiting permanent transfers on a shoestring - something that wasn't an issue at his time at Middlesborough, West Brom or Celtic.

Note that his lack of knowledge of the lower leagues also cost him - the majority of signings were from higher leagues. He seemed reluctant to delve into anything below League One which could be interpreted as laziness, snobbishness or lack of preparedness. Whatever the reasoning behind his decision making he inevitably blind sided himself by not making use of other recruitment pools. Instead he was obsessed and fixated with recruiting ex-Championship / ex-Premiership players.
he did say loans ar enot the way to build a football club and 2-3 year contracts is. something MR has successfully done this year. 1 bad summer dont make a swallow.......err...wait lol

steve82

Hasn't he got a court date for assaulting a police officer?

Yes that's correct. This is a move that's turned sour but I can see him going to a L2 club who will take a chance on him or need goals for survival.

A few L2 clubs are looking to hold onto there main striker this January
Stevenage - Godden
Chesterfield - Dennis
Forest Green - Doidge
Accrington - Kee

More doubtful ones are
Luton - Hylton
Cov - McNulty
Stevenage - Newton
Barnet - Akinde

D

Deleted member 4439

he did say loans ar enot the way to build a football club and 2-3 year contracts is. something MR has successfully done this year. 1 bad summer dont make a swallow.......err...wait lol

Very good post by James. I think it's possibly also the case that Mowbray joined just as SISU were once and all adopting their NOPM more than break even rule and were still in the process of the full-on slash and burn. Possibly didn't walk into the club with his eyes fully wide open.

SkyBlueCRJ

He's intelligent enough to understand recruitment, no manager would think a team built on loans is sustainable. Maybe it was in fact his lack of knowledge of the lower leagues that was the nail in the coffin for his tenure with us. As even with his signings during the 2016/17 summer the vast majority of incoming transfer were once again plucked from higher divisions.

Robins has more experience of the lower leagues and is an all round better bit than Mowbray.

SkyBlueCRJ

Yes that's correct. This is a move that's turned sour but I can see him going to a L2 club who will take a chance on him or need goals for survival.

A few L2 clubs are looking to hold onto there main striker this January
Stevenage - Godden
Chesterfield - Dennis
Forest Green - Doidge
Accrington - Kee

More doubtful ones are
Luton - Hylton
Cov - McNulty
Stevenage - Newton
Barnet - Akinde

Kee and Dennis for me are likely to go. A few clubs have been sniffing around Kee and Chesterfield need funding as their owner is only pumping money into the club to keep it running due to its impending sale. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if they cashed in to bring in other players to halt their drop out of the Football League.

Forest Green have the backing to keep hold of Doige, but the recent signing of Rueben Reid could be the writing on the wall.

It would take a huge bid for Luton to fold and part with Hylton, their manager has basically said they don't need to sell.

I have a sneaky feeling Godden's contract is up at the end of this season - also could be likely to go.

Like you suggested I doubt Newton or Akinde will leave. Although anything could happen though.

I'm confident we'll keep hold of McNulty.

steve82

Kee and Dennis for me are likely to go. A few clubs have been sniffing around Kee and Chesterfield need funding as their owner is only pumping money into the club to keep it running due to its impending sale. Therefore, it wouldn't be a shock if they cashed in to bring in other players to halt their drop out of the Football League.

Forest Green have the backing to keep hold of Doige, but the recent signing of Rueben Reid could be the writing on the wall.

It would take a huge bid for Luton to fold and part with Hylton, their manager has basically said they don't need to sell.

I have a sneaky feeling Godden's contract is up at the end of this season - also could be likely to go.

Like you suggested I doubt Newton or Akinde will leave. Although anything could happen though.

I'm confident we'll keep hold of McNulty.

I've only said McNulty as his scoring figures are up there with the names being looked at but I think he's here to stay.
Newtons been mentioned early in the window but I don't see it.
Hylton will take a huge fee, but Peterborough could come back to Luton if they lose Marriott who they've rejected 2/3 bids already for.

Clubs get desperate in January, some will take a punt. Look at Forest Green, they are doing plenty of business.

covcity4life

He's intelligent enough to understand recruitment, no manager would think a team built on loans is sustainable. Maybe it was in fact his lack of knowledge of the lower leagues that was the nail in the coffin for his tenure with us. As even with his signings during the 2016/17 summer the vast majority of incoming transfer were once again plucked from higher divisions.

Robins has more experience of the lower leagues and is an all round better bit than Mowbray.

maybe

but robins has only signed 1 player from non league? and is reaping rewards of mcnulty who he calls a league 1 player. think thats what mowbray was aiming for

it seems to be working at blackburn

hes gone now, hes doing well again
slades gone now,hes doing poor again

lets just focus on robins now who is doing better than both of them did here at cov currently

SkyBlueCRJ

maybe

but robins has only signed 1 player from non league? and is reaping rewards of mcnulty who he calls a league 1 player. think thats what mowbray was aiming for

it seems to be working at blackburn

hes gone now, hes doing well again
slades gone now,hes doing poor again

lets just focus on robins now who is doing better than both of them did here at cov currently

Whilst Robins has delved into a group of players that have played at a higher level, many of those have played and note - have succeeded - at League 2 level.

McNulty for instance may be labelled as a League 1 player but has he succeeded in League 1 prior to be brought in? In his last 3 seasons in League One he's failed to hit the ground running and his record is poor. Yet his most recent success was at Portsmouth in 2016/17 where he netted 12 goals in 30-odd appearances. So despite what he may / may not be he's been most successful at League Two level.

Liam Kelly, Jack Grimmer, Liam O'Brien, Rod McDonald, Michael Doyle, Tom Davies and Peter Vincenti have all played League Two football in recent seasons where most of whom have found relative success. This is a huge difference with Mowbray's signings, most of whom had never even played at League One level. Note that Robins' signings were far more realistic. Most have succeeded in League Two in the last 3 seasons and when they were recruited were at established League One clubs OR newly promoted League One clubs. Whereas only a handful of Mowbray's signings in 3 transfer windows had been tried and tested in League One. Reid, Turnbull and Murphy to name a few...the rest realistically were has-beens or young loans from Premier League Clubs. We didn't have the luxury of recruiting luxury players such as Bradley Dack or Peter Whittingham...

So the only thing that's working for him at Blackburn is that he's managed to recruit a better calibre of player because he's got freer access to funds? He's signed genuine Championship quality players - not the Marc Antoine-Fortune's of this world... So yes you're right he hasn't changed his philosophy but like I said in my previous post, if he'd had a larger budget, it's likely he would've succeeded last season as his knowledge of Championship / Premiership players is excellent - I'm not doubting this. But unfortunately we don't have anywhere near the budget Blackburn have behind them, which is obviously a factor in Mowbray's demise and subsequently why he's been successful so far this season. This issue with Mowbray is that he has no plan B, if a club cannot abide by his philosophy then he simply won't succeed.

But yes - credit to Robins for getting it right after last seasons transfer fiasco!

SkyBlueCRJ

I've only said McNulty as his scoring figures are up there with the names being looked at but I think he's here to stay.
Newtons been mentioned early in the window but I don't see it.
Hylton will take a huge fee, but Peterborough could come back to Luton if they lose Marriott who they've rejected 2/3 bids already for.

Clubs get desperate in January, some will take a punt. Look at Forest Green, they are doing plenty of business.

Of course, McNulty scoring 8 in 10 wouldn't have gone unnoticed. I can guarantee clubs would have made enquires already. Good point, IF Marriott goes which is 50/50, it's possible Hylton would be their first choice.

Hence why I speculated that their more than capable of holding onto Doige, especially as he signed a new 2 year contract in the summer. I think it would take a solid bid to part with him. But like you said clubs do get desperate in this window - anything is possible!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Hahaha get those caveats in

So scsred that mowbray is doing well and slade poor

Face it. Covcity4life is always right

Wouldn't you agree that squad is good enough to get promoted easily? I'm not scared of Mowbray doing well, we saw enough here to see that he is an average manager at best. I rate Robins higher to be honest.

As for Slade, well...

the rumpo kid

You can't buy or pay players with monopoly money. He wasn't backed.here and is being backed at Blackburn. He lost heart here. And with our owners, who hasn't.

covcity4life

Wouldn't you agree that squad is good enough to get promoted easily? I'm not scared of Mowbray doing well, we saw enough here to see that he is an average manager at best. I rate Robins higher to be honest.

As for Slade, well...
promotion is rarely easy. hes doing a good job at blackburn though and done well with recruitment too it seems.

covcity4life

Anybody could be a decent manager with the unlimited money cheats on surely?
i doubt blackburn are on unlimited budget

and i highly doubt cov were on unlimited budget the season we finished 8th

and on top team scale psg had unlimited budget for 5 or 6 years yet monpellier and monoco have won leagues in that time in france.

so no you cant be a decent manager with money alone in my book

Nick

Administrator
i doubt blackburn are on unlimited budget

and i highly doubt cov were on unlimited budget the season we finished 8th

and on top team scale psg had unlimited budget for 5 or 6 years yet monpellier and monoco have won leagues in that time in france.

so no you cant be a decent manager with money alone in my book

Not unlimited no, but a much greater resource from players they had from relegation and funds compared to other clubs.

It's the decent managers who can work under restraints and do better, rather than go on about funds as an excuse while getting beaten week in, week out by teams without the same resources.

covcity4life

Not unlimited no, but a much greater resource from players they had from relegation and funds compared to other clubs.

It's the decent managers who can work under restraints and do better, rather than go on about funds as an excuse while getting beaten week in, week out by teams without the same resources.
to be fair to TM he never really complained about finances? and he quit early into the season too and still didnt mention it much.

Warwickhunt

Trouble "JamesCCFC, post: 1459371, member: 7302"]Of course, McNulty scoring 8 in 10 wouldn't have gone unnoticed. I can guarantee clubs would have made enquires already. Good point, IF Marriott goes which is 50/50, it's possible Hylton would be their first choice.

Hence why I speculated that their more than capable of holding onto Doige, especially as he signed a new 2 year contract in the summer. I think it would take a solid bid to part with him. But like you said clubs do get desperate in this window - anything is possible![/QUOTE]
Trouble with it all is the players get their heads turned and if they don't get sold they play like shut for the rest of the season. So do you think Hylton might get effected by it all because all luton have got is the ability to score goals as their defending is poor from what I saw when I seen the CCFC take Em to the cleaners

SkyBlueCRJ

You can't buy or pay players with monopoly money. He wasn't backed.here and is being backed at Blackburn. He lost heart here. And with our owners, who hasn't.

I think ultimately what SISU promised to him when he was brought in, compared to the reality was vastly different. His expectations were not upheld which was why he as you say 'lost heart' at the beginning of last season with us.

Users who are viewing this thread