League One Team Of The Season (2 Viewers)

mark82

Already a bid in depending on promotion I heard.

He's out of contract in the summer but Bristol City have a 1 year option. I've heard if they take that up then his wages are pretty high (and possibly out of our reach). Would love it to be true though. Fantastic player.

skyblue1991

I think Dabo is the only one that's definite. To be honest I don't care as other teams may use the TOTY as a catalyst to scout players so the less Cov players the better!

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

SlowerThanPlatt

I see WhoScored have Dabo down as our 12th best player this season and actually quite weak compared to other right backs in the division

@Fergusons_Beard I’d be interested in what you think about this. Is this a case where stats/data don’t tell the whole story and where the eye test is preferred?

shmmeee

I see WhoScored have Dabo down as our 12th best player this season and actually quite weak compared to other right backs in the division

@Fergusons_Beard I’d be interested in what you think about this. Is this a case where stats/data don’t tell the whole story and where the eye test is preferred?

How do they determine “best” RB? I’d imagine it disadvantages a WB over a traditional FB (attacking play worth less defensive worth more)

Fergusons_Beard

Not sure how they get there ratings to be honest STP.

I’m with you here-Dabo would be in our top 3 best performing players this year.

Difficult to use stats to pick out POTS because of the imbalance weighted heavily to attacking players.

Maybe that’s why Dabo so low in ratings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frostie

Whoscored are better than most when it comes to accurately tracking & weighting stats but they can never tell the full story.

Another stats based website had Sam McCallum in their Team of the Week for the Away game at Southend (widely accepted to be his worst performance this season) as he kept a clean sheet & got an 'assist'.
The assist in question was rolling the ball square 4 yards to O'Hare who then ran half the length of the pitch to score.

ccfcricoh

Bar Sunderland we have the best defence in the league, and I wouldnt swap any of our back 6 for any other player in the league, from what i have seen... (this could fully be sky blue tinted glasses though).

Midfield i think Walsh and O'Hare would walk into any other team.

So i make that 8 of the best 11.

That's obviously not how they do it and i imagine they use statistics etc, and of course they would probably only pick 2 maybe 3 from one team anyway.

edit: manager of the year simply has to be Robins as well

Nick

Administrator
It always baffles me how they come to the conclusions when they don't watch the games.

I mean how to people come up with these stats a couple of hours after a game about key passes, headers won, tackles won, dribbles complete etc. They would have to watch the game and do this for every player. It would take ages surely?

I remember a game when they were on about expected chances in a game but when you watched the game they were miles off. They considered a shot from outside the box to be more of a chance than a tap in.

Fergusons_Beard

The stats/betting companies have spotters Nick.

Literally all they do is record every conceivable stat-they watch the game impassively.

Difficulty appears especially with XG when judging an attempt on goal-it literally boils down to spotters interpretations of how difficult a shot would be.

They also watch back the game again on Computer to double check stats.

What’s in the future (and its not too far away) is an AI that will get rid of the need of spotters.

Will be software that uses TV feeds to generate the stats automagically. No need for human interpretation to get in the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ccfc1234

Eye test always needed and I fear this was the method used to recruit Kastaneer

Users who are viewing this thread