latest statement from Mr Appleton (2 Viewers)

James Smith

Yeah I can't understand why he is suggesting doing anything with Holdings unless the two are inextricably linked and therefore both in admin. The missing £480K is a real worry, where has that money gone that could be paying the academy bills. If as many think the Golden Share is in Ltd, then so is the academy, so why would the money be anywhere else than Ltd?

SkyblueBazza

I do agree that until his report is produced for the court we don't really know where we are.

However I think some are criticising because he is expressing opinions on what CCFC Holdings should/are doing. He has no authority to speak on behalf of Holdings, nor has he any right to ask them to pay Limited's bills.

Or maybe it's because he's found something that is affecting or effected by it? I don't know but why people wind themselves up about something blown out of proportion by rumour & speculation. I guess it's a measure of how little we all know & understand as well as how much we care.
I tried to wash my head out & show no interest...but it didn't last long!

BurbageSkyBlues

I think the reason for the outcry is as follows:

Many of us suspect that there are plenty of things that he could have commented on, which would probably show Sisu in a bad light. Yet, he has chosen to comment on the one issue that may cast Higgs as the villain. That, for me, reveals little impartiality.

It is also an issue that he does not have full jurisdiction over, unless he has now started to manage holdings affairs?

Imagine this scenario -

Higgs agree to the contract with ltd, for the academy to use the centre, on the basis that holdings pay the bill. Who signs for holdings? Further, when the invoice is sent, what happens if holdings don't pay? Do Higgs kick the academy out, and does the debt get added to the outstanding bills not payed by Sisu? So it all gets messier....

Des1973

The Alan Higgs Centre Trust have warned Coventry City that they could lose the facility next season and the Academy’s prized Category Two status.<br />
<br />
Lawyers acting on behalf of the Trust have written to administrator Paul Appleton claiming that the Football League have confirmed that the club’s ‘golden share’ is held by CCFC Ltd, currently in administration, rather than CCFC Holdings.<br />
<br />
They also claim that FA rules dictate that an academy can only be run by a member of the Football League holding a golden share.<br />
<br />
The Sky Blues stopped using the centre earlier this month.<br />
<br />
<br />
Peter Knatchbull-Hugessen, chairman of the Trust, said: “We at the Higgs Centre have an agreement with CCFC Ltd and when they were put into administration Mr Appleton wrote to us and said he didn’t need to use the centre because he didn’t have the Academy.<br />
<br />
“So we asked questions. We asked where is the Academy and he said nothing about that really.<br />
<br />
“So we asked the Football League and they said ask the Football Association.<br />
<br />
“So we wrote to the FA and they said, quite unequivocally, that the licence is with the club that is in membership of the Football League. And as we know and was confirmed again on Wednesday when MP Bob Ainsworth met with the League, CCFC Ltd are the member of the Football League.<br />
<br />
“Therefore the Academy is in Ltd, and as we have an agreement with Ltd my question is why is the administrator not prepared to operate the Academy which is his responsibility because that is where the licence sits.<br />
<br />
“The Academy, as far as I am concerned, is vital for the value of Coventry City Football Club. You only have to look at what Dario Gradi has done at Crewe to see the value of an Academy, or the product of Manchester United’s Academy – Beckham, Scholes, Neville...<br />
<br />
“An Academy is a vital part of a football club so why is he not operating it?<br />
<br />
“Why is the administrator putting at risk something that is of real value? The Academy is a way of making the club more competitive against other clubs because you can develop your own talent and some of those you are going to move on.<br />
<br />
&quot;Gael Bigirimana is the most recent example of a really good sale, so why is that not part of his plan? He could have asked the FA just as easily where does the licence sit? A letter comes back and it tells you.”<br />
<br />
Knatchbull-Hugessen insists that the Allard Way facility was specifically designed to house the football club’s Academy as well as being for community use.<br />
<br />
And he has real concerns that the club are at risk of losing their Category Two status, which is just one step down from the likes of Barcelona and Manchester United, and includes Premier League funding to the tune of £480,000 a year.<br />
<br />
He said: “Their grant of near half a million pounds a year for a Category Two academy is on the strength of that licence, and that licence, according to the FA, sits with the entity that is a member of the Football League.<br />
<br />
&quot;And the Football League are quite clear in writing and to Bob Ainsworth this week that it’s in CCFC Ltd that holds the League share.<br />
<br />
“This is about the future of the Academy. We need to get the Academy back in otherwise they’re at the last chance saloon. In the agreements we have with CCFC Ltd the trustees could have, the moment they went into administration, cancelled the agreements and gone out and found new tenants.<br />
<br />
“We haven’t done that because the reason it was built in that way was so that the Academy could be there.<br />
<br />
&quot;The charity didn’t spend that amount of money to build a community sports and leisure centre with facilities including a full-sized all weather pitch and indoor fourth generation facility that could be used by an Academy for any other reason.”<br />
<br />
The various age groups are currently using Warwick University as an interim measure but as part of their category status the Academy has to provide various facilities including treatment rooms, homework areas as well as all weather facilities.<br />
<br />
“If the centre isn’t used now they will get away with it because the weather is good and they don’t need to be inside,” said Knatchbull-Hugessen.<br />
<br />
“We have written to the owner and everyone saying, come and use it and we haven’t had any substantive replies at the moment so we will, because we will have to, let out those facilities to other clubs, local clubs who will want assurances that they’ve got a whole season.<br />
<br />
<br />
“They won’t want to take on something that might disappear from under them and might even want more than one season, which is quite reasonable, but once we’ve let the facilities out then that’s it, unless they pay the bills very fast, they’ll be in danger of losing a Category Two Academy because I can’t see any other venue locally that offers the required facilities.”<br />
<br />
City’s administrator Paul Appleton issued a statement which read: “I am somewhat puzzled by the stance taken by the Alan Higgs Centre Trust in relation to the Coventry City Academy.<br />
<br />
“For many years, the Trust were content to be paid by Coventry City FC Holdings and to deal with CCFC Holdings on that basis.<br />
<br />
“This was the situation that prevailed historically despite the fact the Trust were fully aware of the division within the club between Holdings and CCFC Limited which held the Licence for the premises.<br />
<br />
“Why they have elected not to continue on that basis following CCFC Limited entering administration and the Holdings offer of a compromise deal, is a question only the Trust can answer.<br />
<br />
“It certainly can’t be because they fear contravening compliance regulations of either the Football Association or the Football League. Both those bodies were completely aware of the situation within the Club and have raised no issue with it either before Limited’s administration or subsequently.”<br />
<br />
But Knatchbull-Hugessen responded: “The agreements were with Ltd and specified that all staff and insurances and everything else were in Ltd and the assumption of anyone dealing with the football club was that Holdings and Ltd were integrated and therefore if payments came from one side or the other it was as though it came from Coventry City Football Club.<br />
<br />
“Now we are told they are two totally different entities, in which case they were in breach of the agreements all along.<br />
<br />
&quot;If he is now telling the Trust that they have been in breach all along it’s up to them to rectify that breach and come back as CCFC Ltd or there have to be completely new agreements which we have been trying to avoid.”
<br />
<br />

You say that the Trusts lawyers have written to Mr Appleton to inform him that the football league have confirmed that the mysterious GS was with LTD, I also believe ACL and our one and only Bob Ainsworth have also confirmed this.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the FL have only ever come out and said they believe/think it was with LTD.

In the style of Cuba Gooding Jnr from Jerry Maguire. SHOW ME THE MONEY...(letter) as there has been no official paper n black & white from anyone to confirm this.
Before you say, I know Sisu have not provided anything to prove the contrary.
I just want to see his finished and get back to the reall deal FOOTBALL PUSB.

dongonzalos

CCFC ltd = GS = administrator control

CCFC ltd = GS = academy

Yet Administrator says academy is nothing to do with him?

Higgs should accept payment from holdings.

Why comment re holdings if this is of no relevance to him?

Why if FA say academy has to be with golden share. Golden share is with Ltd. Why would the administrator not want the two to be entwined. Why would this be a problem for the administrator?

Surely he would want as much assets as he can get to clear debts.

Would he not be wanting to prove with the FA that the academy is an asset he has?

Or is it bad news that potentially both the academy and the football club are eventually up for a bidding war between two rich Americans.

dongonzalos

Exactly OSB.
Football league rules are quite clear on this. The academy has to be in the legal entity that the Football League has granted the Golden share to. The Football League has quite clearly stated that according to their records they have granted the Golden Share to CCFC Ltd, and that is why the Football League deducted the 10 points from the club on entering administration.
The AEH therefore legally MUST have any contractual arrangement for the use of its facilities by a category B academy with the legal entity to whom the Football League have granted the Golden Share. This is not a matter of choice on the part of either party - it is a MUST.
For the administrator to try and dodge the issue by claiming that historically the EAH have had no problem accepting PAYMENTS from CCFC Holdings rather than CCFC Ltd is disingenuous to say the least, and in my opinion is a poor attempt at diverting attention from the real issue being addressed by the AEH, which is the CONTRACTUAL position and not the issue of who is paying for the services provided under the contract.
The AEH know that they must have a contract with CCFC Ltd, which is in administration, so the AEH have no option but to contact the administrator concerning the use of the academy facilities. For the administrator to then deny any responsibility and start talking about historical payments is to my mind pointing towards a serious bias towards SISU and is in breach of the required independence of a court appointed administrator.

If ACL make representations to that fact and a high court judge agrees I believe he can be removed.

SkyBlueSwiss

<br />
<br />

say that the Trusts lawyers have written to Mr Appleton to inform him that the football league have confirmed that the mysterious GS was with LTD, I also believe ACL and our one and only Bob Ainsworth have also confirmed this.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the FL have only ever come out and said they believe/think it was with LTD.

In the style of Cuba Gooding Jnr from Jerry Maguire. SHOW ME THE MONEY...(letter) as there has been no official paper n black & white from anyone to confirm this.
Before you say, I know Sisu have not provided anything to prove the contrary.
I just want to see his finished and get back to the reall deal FOOTBALL PUSB.

Excuse me?
The Football league determined that the golden Share is with CCFC Ltd, which is why they deducted 10 points for CCFC Ltd. entering administration.
Have we been deducted 10 points or not?????? How can you even question this?

SkyBlueSwiss

It does nothing of the sort, it points to the fact CCFC Ltd are not in a position to pay the bill because they have no money.

Again, more attempts to muddy the waters with spin, legalese and talk of contractual complexities. Appleton clearly stated that no issue with the prior contractual arrangements have been raised by the FA subsequent to CCFC Ltd going into admin. Is he lying?

As for the serious bias allegation - you are actually accusing him of doing his job. He is an officer of the court whose role is to act in the interests of the creditors, and SISU are easily the largest creditor and a secured creditor to boot - but that would have applied whoever had appointed him. Of course there is some bias - that is what he is there to do.

I don't know this chap - I'll probably start to dislike him soon enough, just like everyone else in this sorry mess, but some of the stuff being aimed at him today is bordering on the hytserical if you ask me.

I quote from the IC Cov report:
We at the Higgs Centre have an agreement with CCFC Ltd and when they were put into administration Mr Appleton wrote to us and said he didn’t need to use the centre because he didn’t have the Academy.
“So we asked questions. We asked where is the Academy and he said nothing about that really.
“So we asked the Football League and they said ask the Football Association.
“So we wrote to the FA and they said, quite unequivocally, that the licence is with the club that is in membership of the Football League. And as we know and was confirmed again on Wednesday when MP Bob Ainsworth met with the League, CCFC Ltd are the member of the Football League.
Therefore the Academy is in Ltd, and as we have an agreement with Ltd my question is why is the administrator not prepared to operate the Academy which is his responsibility because that is where the licence sits.

Read more: http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...y-blues-academy-92746-33239983/#ixzz2ReOKeeb9

Can it be any clearer than this?
The administrator is saying he has nothing to do with the academy even though the academy is quite clearly with CCFC Ltd. which makes the academy part of the administrators remit, yet he denies this and tells EAH to speak with CCFC Holdings (=SISU).
AEH cannot deal with Holdings as the academy is in Ltd., which means they have no choice but to deal with the administrator. The contract HAS to be with Ltd. which means dealing with the administrator.
Quite clearly in my opinion he is not doing his job and he is not unbiased.

EDIT: if he is not unbiased and is genuinely doing his job "to the best of his abilities", then why is it that other people were able to establish quite quickly where the golden share is, and other people were easily able to establish that the academy is in fact in Ltd. and is part of his remit as administrator? In my opinion it can only be that he is either biased or is not capable of doing the job the court appointed him to do. Why else is he so ignorant of facts easily obtained?

Last edited:

Voice_of_Reason

Sky Blue Trust must voice its concerns to Mr Appleton ?

I believe that the Sky Blue trust should write to Mr Appleton expressing its concerns thaht it would appear that, in the opinion of the Sky Blue Trust, he is concerning himself in matters outside of his remit as Administrator in respect of seeming to show bias to Coventry City (Holdings) Ltd which is not a creditor when his duties are to administrate Coventry City Football Club Limited in administration only ?

Grendel

I believe that the Sky Blue trust should write to Mr Appleton expressing its concerns thaht it would appear that, in the opinion of the Sky Blue Trust, he is concerning himself in matters outside of his remit as Administrator in respect of seeming to show bias to Coventry City (Holdings) Ltd which is not a creditor when his duties are to administrate Coventry City Football Club Limited in administration only ?

Yeah that will put the wind up him.

SkyBlueSwiss

Yeah that will put the wind up him.

Grenduffy,
I am not looking for an argument with you, but look at my edit point that I quote below and answer me why other people can so quickly establish these things when he denies knowledge of them?

EDIT: if he is not unbiased and is genuinely doing his job "to the best of his abilities", then why is it that other people were able to establish quite quickly where the golden share is, and other people were easily able to establish that the academy is in fact in Ltd. and is part of his remit as administrator? In my opinion it can only be that he is either biased or is not capable of doing the job the court appointed him to do. Why else is he so ignorant of facts easily obtained?

Grendel

Grenduffy,
I am not looking for an argument with you, but look at my edit point that I quote below and answer me why other people can so quickly establish these things when he denies knowledge of them?

The F A have I believe stated that is where they believe the share to be. This is not binding in law.

We don't know. There may be evidence supplied by holdings that the share was transferred to them which needs to be analysed as does the whole relationship between these organisations

May take a long time but the administrator is appointed as a legal representative by the high court. He must be impartial.

SkyBlueSwiss

The F A have I believe stated that is where they believe the share to be. This is not binding in law.

We don't know. There may be evidence supplied by holdings that the share was transferred to them which needs to be analysed as does the whole relationship between these organisations

May take a long time but the administrator is appointed as a legal representative by the high court. He must be impartial.

Grenduffy,
I hope he is indeed impartial because if he turns out to favour SISU we are truly in a mess for a long time to come.
I agree that we have not been shown concrete evidence in the form of a signed letter, but surely the circumstantial evidence is convincing as to where the golden share is?
We were deducted 10 points because the Football League believe the share to be with CCFC Ltd., which therefore earned the 10 point deduction for entering administration. SISU withdrew their appeal at the last moment, which indicates that they have accepted that the share is with Ltd.
Bob Ainsworth states that the Football League confirmed to him that the share is in Ltd.
The Football Association would appear to have stated that the share is in Ltd to the AEH upon request.

Reference the FA's belief not being binding in law:
Who's law? The law of the land or the rules and regulations of the Football League and the Football Association? If the FA and/or the FL deem CCFC to have contravened their rules and regulations, the law of the land is irrelevant to the punishments that they can make, up to and including withdrawal of the golden share and expulsion from the league. The law of the land has nothing to say on such matters.

Reference your point that there may be evidence supplied by holding that the share was transferred to them: If the FL and FA deem the share to be in Ltd., then we had better pray that there is no such evidence that SISU transferred it to Holdings as that would open up a can of worms, but then if the players contracts are in Holdings and the share isn't, we are likely to be in trouble anyway.

Whichever way this turns out, it looks as though the club has acted outside the rules of the Football League and the Football association irrespective of where the golden share lies. Unless, of course, the courts or the Football League state quite clearly that both entities are inextricably linked and that the entire club is in administration, and God knows where that would leave things.

And yes, he "must" be impartial, but there have been many, many instances of biased judges, arbitrators, administrators, teachers, headmasters etc. etc. Just because he is supposed to be impartial does not mean he is.
I know for a fact that my teachers and headmaster at Finham Primary and Junior School were biased against me all day every day. It is the only explanation for why I got caned so often :D

I agree with those people that say we need to wait for 1. the administrators report on the 16th May to the judge, and 2. the outcome of the next meeting of the Football League concerning CCFC.

Tank Top

But the assertion was binding enough for the league to dock us 10 points, if is not so, why did sisu withdraw the appeal, its tantamount to a smoking gun in most peoples view, but "There's none more blind than them who wont see"

J

Jack Griffin

We have 2 companies which are as inextricably linked as Portsmouth's were, we need the courts to confirm this & rule that the group is in admin.

While SISU retain control there will be years of mediocrity... and pantomime.. can the fans really stomach that?

SkyblueBazza

But the assertion was binding enough for the league to dock us 10 points, if is not so, why did sisu withdraw the appeal, its tantamount to a smoking gun in most peoples view, but "There's none more blind than them who wont see"

There are lots of people who believe only what they want to believe too though...simply to reinforce or justify what they want to see as an outcome - '& they ignore other stuff which may explain why other things are said & done.
The simple fact is he has made a statement which I interpret as asking a question, aligned to favour SISU perhaps on the basis that the main creditors of the company he administers are owned by them. Anything not out & out anti-SISU is seized upon by some as being biased toward SISU. Others have interpreted the statement differently & have already made their now, anti-administrator feelings known - I suspect because they are now realising that being in administration is not necessarily the best way forward & are already looking for someone to blame should it not bring the outcome they want.

Ashdown1

We have 2 companies which are as inextricably linked as Portsmouth's were, we need the courts to confirm this & rule that the group is in admin.

While SISU retain control there will be years of mediocrity... and pantomime.. can the fans really stomach that?

I don't think they can any more, the authorities need to put this sorry saga to bed and clear the path for investors to make their move if they really have those intentions !

dongonzalos

Only if you have concerns and evidence that there is a persistent lack of an unbiased approach towards proceedings of course.

Nonleagueherewecome

There are lots of people who believe only what they want to believe too though...simply to reinforce or justify what they want to see as an outcome - '& they ignore other stuff which may explain why other things are said & done.
The simple fact is he has made a statement which I interpret as asking a question, aligned to favour SISU perhaps on the basis that the main creditors of the company he administers are owned by them. Anything not out & out anti-SISU is seized upon by some as being biased toward SISU. Others have interpreted the statement differently & have already made their now, anti-administrator feelings known - I suspect because they are now realising that being in administration is not necessarily the best way forward & are already looking for someone to blame should it not bring the outcome they want.

Exactly, it's nothing sinister.

The Prefect

It doesn't work like that. Holdings isn't in administration - only the football club is.

SISU don't have control over CCFC Ltd - the administrator does. The company and its assets (such as they are) are his to sell or do with what he pleases so long as he acts 'in the best interests of creditors'.

The administrator's single biggest problem is the Golden Share. It has been confirmed by the Administrator and the football league that it is in CCFC Ltd (which it was when I was a shareholder of the club). Unfortunately for the administrator CCFC (Holdings) have made a claim on the Golden Share. He has to work out the validity of any claim made against the company by any creditors - and this needs to be done before he reports back to the court.

Please remember the ONLY people disputing the Golden Share is SISU - or CCFC (Holdings). Without it they can't operate a football club in the football league. This is why it's all gone a little quiet - without the share CCFC (Holdings) have no team and no academy.

Higgs and ACL are rightly refusing to talk to CCFC (Holdings) because they are not the football club.

I'mARealWizard

Give the guy a break!

He's investigating the going concerns of a company that has no income streams and/or assets.

That must take all the effort of emptying an empty dustbin.

Oh, apart from the GS and the Contracts and Academy assets.

So I see why he has come out questioning why are people bothering him about things when it is clear for all to see that he is running something that does not have anything to run...

:thinking about:

NorthernWisdom

Who cares that his report might give ammunition that Ltd and holdings are linked?

Who cares about checking whether sisu have moved the league share without the league's knowledge?

Who cares about the fact he's submitting a report to the court about our club when no information has come out of it recently?

Nope, he must be a corrupt c unit.

The paranoia of some (not all, genuine questioning perfectly reasonable) is utter utter madness. It's fans like that that'll destroy the club as much as anything else, because who'd want to come in and help the club if all they get is mindless abuse before they even do anything?

I'mARealWizard

Who cares that his report might give ammunition that Ltd and holdings are linked?

Who cares about checking whether sisu have moved the league share without the league's knowledge?

Who cares about the fact he's submitting a report to the court about our club when no information has come out of it recently?

Nope, he must be a corrupt c unit.

The paranoia of some (not all, genuine questioning perfectly reasonable) is utter utter madness. It's fans like that that'll destroy the club as much as anything else, because who'd want to come in and help the club if all they get is mindless abuse before they even do anything?

I admire your impartial temperament, but remember that if you stay in the middle of the road for too long you'll get knocked over.

Let me grant you, for a moment, that he is doing all you suggest.

Why is he making only a statement negating the validity of an approach by AHT? They have a right to question under which company the Academy belong, and by consequence the future funding of it. Don't they?

If he was to make any statement, the majority of us would have expected it to be regarding the location of the GS, considering this is what so much hinges upon.

Just. Doesn't. Seem. Quite. Right...

NorthernWisdom

The academy are more than right to ask what's going on as they assumed the city wad the city regardless.

He's more than right to say he's not about to start paying the bill now, but someone else is offering to, , people who've paid it up to now.

The sheer hatred of some for a bloke saying he's not paying a bill is over the top and makes me sick to be a city fan.

As I say not all. The academy have asked a fair question, but theres a difference between asking a question and hoping for negatives because your life needs hate in it, and to play the victim.

Someone is offering to give them money and they're not taking it, and I this is baf that someone wants to pay a bill?

Last edited:

I'mARealWizard

The academy are more than right to ask what's going on as they assumed the city wad the city regardless.

He's more than right to say he's not about to start paying the bill now, but someone else is offering to, , people who've paid it up to now.

The sheer hatred of some for a bloke saying he's not paying a bill is over the top and makes me sick to be a city fan.

As I say not all. The academy have asked a fair question, but theres a difference between asking a question and hoping for negatives because your life needs hate in it, and to play tge victim.

With respect, I think that you are missing the point slightly.

It's not that the fans are pissed with what he's necessarily concluded. It's his direct quote of 'I am somewhat puzzled by the stance taken by the Alan Higgs Centre Trust in relation to the Coventry City Academy.'

If he is even mildly competent at what he is charged with doing, he should be able to see why the payments are being questioned.

He is the administrator of one arm of a company that is a Football Club that is under administration.
It is right and reasonable to ask for confirmation that the current contract and any new/further contracts/payments are going to be honoured.

Especially given the recent history of the owners of CCFC A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H and any other trading companies SISU have set up in their name.

It gives an air of un-professionalism or incompetence if he can't grasp some of the basics of this case.

dongonzalos

I have to agree.

When he says holdings have always made the payments

(Is he missing something here, has anything changed recently, is there a reason why he is here?)

Doesn't matter who has always made the payments if it was Joe blogs walking Dow n the street handing the money over every month on behalf of Ltd. fact of the matter is the contract is with Ltd they are in admin.

If the AH centre decides not to rent out to anyone else and CCFC then walk away.

Who do they chase for the contracted payments Ltd?

Holdings need to sit down and negotiate a new contract

Or he as the administrator needs to take responsibility for the payments.

To suggest he is shocked by this says to me he is either very bad at his job or very good at protecting the interests of one side?

Bill Glazier

Coventry City as a club is critically close, in my view, to permanently losing all respect and support in its own city. Our once-loved club has been trashed by successive useless owners and many fans I speak to just don't care any more. They're finding better things to do with their time. Sisu seems to be impossible to deal with and ACL is painted into a corner. Talk about bald men fighting over a comb.

mark82

Coventry City as a club is critically close, in my view, to permanently losing all respect and support in its own city. Our once-loved club has been trashed by successive useless owners and many fans I speak to just don't care any more. They're finding better things to do with their time. Sisu seems to be impossible to deal with and ACL is painted into a corner. Talk about bald men fighting over a comb.

You're right. We need to become a family/community club again. Shouldn't be difficult with no competition.

Users who are viewing this thread