Lateef signs (2 Viewers)

SlowerThanPlatt

Coventry City have signed striker Lateef Elford-Alliyu on a four-month contract following a successful trial.

The 23-year old striker started his career at West Bromwich Albion in the youth ranks and had several loan spells with Hereford United, Tranmere Rovers and Bury during his time at the Hawthorns.

Elford-Alliyu left the Black Country in 2012 and moved to Maltese Premier League side Valletta last season where he scored 13 league goals.

Elford-Alliyu joined the Sky Blues two-weeks ago on a successful trial where he scored in the 2-1 Under-21s win over Nottingham Forest and impressed during training at Ryton.

City boss Tony Mowbray said: "We've been really impressed with Lateef during his time at the club and we believe he has plenty of potential to progress here.

"We'll be looking to work with him over the coming weeks and hopefully, after more game-time with the Under-21s, he'll go on to give us a valuable option in the first-team.

"He has plenty of pace and in the games which he's played for us, he makes life difficult for defenders with his movement in-behind and down the channels.

"Over the course of the four-month contract, we hope he'll take this opportunity to get up to speed as a first-team player and kick-start his footballing career."

Read more at http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/...-deadline-day-2662862.aspx#q4QrCMqFBxAkiJ7d.9

Anyone know ANYTHING at all? He's scored in goals in the Maltese league but I guess any striker could really

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I hope this isn't our only deal on deadline day.

Strange he's only got a 4 month contract though? Must be some concerns around his fitness but we want to give him a fair crack, and atleast if he's actually signed he can also become an option in the first team if he impresses in this time

Hobo

Strange he's only got a 4 month contract though? Must be some concerns around his fitness but we want to give him a fair crack, and atleast if he's actually signed he can also become an option in the first team if he impresses in this time

Short stop gap in case other deals don't come off. I expect Samuels to come our way to get match fit and back on track in maybe four months?

Bob Latchford

untitled.jpg Lee Van Cleef .

ptr

Hope this isn't as pointless as the Al Bangoura singing. Not the bully striker were looking for but hope he goes out and proves his worth.

Otis

Hope it's not either. From the way TM is talking, sounds like he isn't going to be anywhere near the first team squad for a few weeks at least.

Kingokings204

Never seen him play but I would like to think this isn't the answer. A 4 month trialist who has no league 1 experience.

chiefdave

Only thing I can think of is 4 months takes it up to the January window. Guess if he does OK they will try and extend it before then, if not he can look for another club in the window.

mrtrench

It's obvious to me. He hopes that this player doesn't do well, because he prefers a different player to succeed instead.

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

we've signed him for the same time Maddy is out injured maybe mogga see's him as playing that role strange one but Mowbray hasn't steered us wrong so far

Samo

Why would you want this to not be the answer? Confusing.

He means he hopes this player is being brought in as back up rather than the real deal which he hopes is still to come.

vow

Maybe. I don't care who we sign or where we sign them from as long as they come in and do well.

Totally agree, couldn't have put it better myself.

Samo

we've signed him for the same time Maddy is out injured maybe mogga see's him as playing that role strange one but Mowbray hasn't steered us wrong so far

I think chiefdave is correct.

Great_Expectations

Similar find to Lameires potentially; at a Prem club, limited opportunity so ultimately allowed to leave and ended up playing in an obscure European league.

Lets hope TM can give him the confidence and belief he needs to be an asset.

I also know a few lads who played with/against him - they all rate him, just think he has been a little unlikely in it not working out so far, and none were sure why.

Gazolba

Swanson out. Elford-Alliyu in. Progress?

Gazolba

Strange he's only got a 4 month contract though?

Not strange. If he does not break into the first team in that time, he's a goner. He's a trialist who is still on trial.

ashbyjan

See him as getting 4 months to prove he is good enough and we can coach him well enough to replace Armstrong when he goes in January. If he doesn't make it nothing lost - if he does we will have ready made replacement who already understands club and way we play etc

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Just read the CET article. I like him already as he seems to have asked for the chance himself and not via an agent :D

If there's one profession other than footballer that's greedy, selfish, and get over inflated wages / bonuses it's bloody agents!!

ajsccfc

I was going to lol about him scoring goals in Malta but then I remembered falling in deep love with Michael Mifsud for that couple of months he was on fire so I'm optimistic.

covcity4life

can play in tight pockets, plays 1-2s and has quick feet.

above is what we miss without maddison? interested to see this guy play

Users who are viewing this thread