Last season loanees (2 Viewers)

shmmeee

6 first team CBs? That just isn’t happening.

The backups don’t have to be first team, could be decent U23s, but yeah two per position is what I’d aim for. It’s only two more than we’ve got now and we’ve had to resort to wingbacks at CB.

Offhegoes

JCS has given us balance, but looking across his recent career, he's had a lot of injury problems, and currently is having a long stretch out the team. We need to be looking at a long term left sided centre half, maybe a lower division player we can acquire in January, to then use regularly from next season

Sky Blue Harry H

For me Ostigard is still very young for a centre back - he should and will likely improve with experience. Can't believe there hasn't been some sort of 'falling out' at Stoke, as Osti is hardly a shrinking violet, and likely to have had words with Michael O'Neill about lack of playing time, His absence (from the bench too) probably tells its own tale. Love to get him back, and likely more possible as his 'value' is probably less than the end of last season. He also seems less injury prone than JCS (wages probably less too). Not sure about the rumours about Hamer leaving, but I'd snap your hands off to have Walsh as his replacement. The problem may be his current deal at Swansea (i.e wages, Swansea wanting a fee)

Colin Steins Smile

We definitely need a left sided CB who’s not injury prone.
I have real concern that if Fadz gets injured we will have major problems this season. We are very short of cover .

SlowerThanPlatt

I’d still take Wash back in a heartbeat. Sublime player.

I always thought Leo was a bit overrated for us. Fans loved him because he showed a bit of passion and got up for corners (although only scored 1 or 2 iirc - his placement was dreadful). Average player.

James. Meh.

Ostigard has been playing for Stoke U23s recently

Hobo

Not sure why people still rate Walsh at this level having failed to establish himself at Bristol City and Swansea? If he was here he would be just warming the treatment table.

no_loyalty

Not sure why people still rate Walsh at this level having failed to establish himself at Bristol City and Swansea? If he was here he would be just warming the treatment table.

TBF for the last few matches (except for one when he was out of the match day squad) he has been an unused substitute so not injured, it looks like he is just out of favour.

skyblue1991

Without James coming in during January we would've been relegated

However if he's on £30k a week as reported then I wouldn't want him here permantly

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Gosb

As Mark Robbins replenishes his squad, he'll be thinking about players who could cope with Premier League football. The players being discussed here are struggling to get into Championship sides, so the best they would be is short-term stopgaps.

Liquid Gold

He's rubbish on the ball though which is one of Mcfadzean's major strengths
McFadzean's passing stats have regressed significantly this year to the point that he has gone from being our best CB to our worst.

This might have something to do with the shape we are playing but both Osti and Hyam were poor with the ball last year and Hyam has improved (albeit on his preferred foot).

It's not a great stretch to suggest Osti can reach the levels Fadz is at right now given the right training.

I also think Fadz's improvement this year is because he's being asked to do less with the ball which could suit Osti's game.

In my ideal back three you have a strong battler in the middle of the 3 who wins everything in the air and puts his body on the line and the two either side are quicker and better with the ball so are able to make recovery challenges, play the opposition offsides and then progress to the DCMs and wingbacks.

steve cooper

There was a post about Mattsen the other day, a rumour that Barcelona were interested in him. Whether there is any truth in it or not, there is no doubt that our loanees are getting noticed, which is obviously good for their clubs. Not necessarily because they are attracting interest from other clubs, but because of their development and their performances here.
Can only be good for attracting further loans.

blunted

Will there be a song on Saturday....Osti is a city fan, Osti is a city fan..repeat ad nauseum.

Reactions: vow

slowpoke

We definitely need a left sided CB who’s not injury prone.
I have real concern that if Fadz gets injured we will have major problems this season. We are very short of cover .
Think it’s harsh to label JCS as injury prone he has had an Achilles injury which can take a while to get right and doesn’t need to be rushed back and risk it being aggravated.

skybluegod

Think it’s harsh to label JCS as injury prone he has had an Achilles injury which can take a while to get right and doesn’t need to be rushed back and risk it being aggravated.

He is injury prone and admitted recently himself that his career to date has suffered because he has continually picked up knocks and niggles. Funnily enough I'm pretty sure it was the same interview where he first mentioned his Achilles.

Brighton Sky Blue

If he’s hardly playing at Stoke is it worth having a cheeky word with Brighton to send him here instead?

CDK

This season Fadz has got even better a Collosus ,how we replace him is a major problem ,I hope we get 1 season more out him at least,I'm sure the recruitment department are looking already.but when he's gone I will miss watching the big superman.

Jamesimus

Is that true though really or a myth. Ostigard is quite good on the ball and passing according to whoscored

I wasn't talking directly about just their ability to pass the ball - I meant in terms of control, first touch etc.

It's worth noting McFadz passing stats are pretty close to Ostigards even though he's played nearly twice as many minutes.

Also, when Osti was playing for us he was mainly right sided centre back so that may have altered the way he appeared on the ball - I think I remember him saying in an interview he preferred to be in the centre of a back 3?

Either way, good player but different to McFadz for me, therefore not a direct replacement. Would I have him back though? YES!

Getting Walsh in if Hamer went - no.

skybluegod

Is Liam Kelly injury prone then ?

I'm not sure how Kelly comes into it? But without going through his career history I don't know, but I seem to remember him missing about 2/3 months a season injured for us each season cumulatively... Except maybe the first season back in league one. So arguably yes.

As I said, JCS himself in an interview all but admitted he was injury prone. I like him. But he's not like Hyam/Fadz who are very robust for us.

skybluegod

I wasn't talking directly about just their ability to pass the ball - I meant in terms of control, first touch etc.

It's worth noting McFadz passing stats are pretty close to Ostigards even though he's played nearly twice as many minutes.

Also, when Osti was playing for us he was mainly right sided centre back so that may have altered the way he appeared on the ball - I think I remember him saying in an interview he preferred to be in the centre of a back 3?

Either way, good player but different to McFadz for me, therefore not a direct replacement. Would I have him back though? YES!

Getting Walsh in if Hamer went - no.

Agree with this in a way. He wouldn't a direct replacement for fadz in the sense he wouldn't be the same style. But when fadz does drop below the standard we need, he would be a more than apt replacement we would just perhaps need to alter our style as a team to suit that. Ultimately we aren't going to get another fadz, need to play to the abilities of whatever players we get.

Agree on Walsh. I loved him but 18 months of football is a lot of time. Same argument being used against Jones. I would take him back on risk but I definitely wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket to replace Hamer with him.

Jagmannn

You really have a problem with this .....What has upset you ...it was only a suggestion to find out if there is a way of finding what can be done with the squad...if its a no its a no ....if it can work - great

procdoc

You really have a problem with this .....What has upset you ...it was only a suggestion to find out if there is a way of finding what can be done with the squad...if its a no its a no ....if it can work - great
It’s a silly suggestion. In what world would we consider that?

fernandopartridge

McFadzean's passing stats have regressed significantly this year to the point that he has gone from being our best CB to our worst.

This might have something to do with the shape we are playing but both Osti and Hyam were poor with the ball last year and Hyam has improved (albeit on his preferred foot).

It's not a great stretch to suggest Osti can reach the levels Fadz is at right now given the right training.

I also think Fadz's improvement this year is because he's being asked to do less with the ball which could suit Osti's game.

In my ideal back three you have a strong battler in the middle of the 3 who wins everything in the air and puts his body on the line and the two either side are quicker and better with the ball so are able to make recovery challenges, play the opposition offsides and then progress to the DCMs and wingbacks.

It isn't really the passing, it's the composure in certain positions which is just far better

Users who are viewing this thread