Last season loanees (1 Viewer)

JonesBob

Last season, we had James, Walsh and Leo who all did really well with us. They chose not to come back to us or were encouraged to go elsewhere, and where are they now? James actually scored on Saturday but he has been average and he seems to have put on a lot of weight. Walsh has been injured again but he is a confidence player and it really isn't working out for him at Swansea. they had a change of management so that may be a reason? For me the biggest surprise has been the form of Leo. He can't even get on the bench now.

Why do you think these players have not performed well elsewhere?

Gosb

Last season, we had James, Walsh and Leo who all did really well with us. They chose not to come back to us or were encouraged to go elsewhere, and where are they now? James actually scored on Saturday but he has been average and he seems to have put on a lot of weight. Walsh has been injured again but he is a confidence player and it really isn't working out for him at Swansea. they had a change of management so that may be a reason? For me the biggest surprise has been the form of Leo. He can't even get on the bench now.

Why do you think these players have not performed well elsewhere?
Players respond, or not, to management styles and coaching. There are countless examples of players who did well with one club but not with another. Thanks goodness we have a good manager and good coaching. Long may it continue.

Alkhen

We were a perfect place for loanees last year, they could play themselves into form and out of bad patches without much chance of loosing their place.

Stoke have a big and talented squad and a lot more expectations than we did/have to succeed. Bristol are a bit of a basket case but they definitely have loftier ideas of where they should be than reality.

Walsh was a couple of seasons back and was obliviously too good for league 1. He has been unlucky that the manager changed just as he got fit after his transfer Swansea are pretty stacked in his position so its going to be hard for him to get a look in.

SheafIsGod

I’d still take Wash back in a heartbeat. Sublime player.

I always thought Leo was a bit overrated for us. Fans loved him because he showed a bit of passion and got up for corners (although only scored 1 or 2 iirc - his placement was dreadful). Average player.

James. Meh.

clint van damme

I’d still take Wash back in a heartbeat. Sublime player.

I always thought Leo was a bit overrated for us. Fans loved him because he showed a bit of passion and got up for corners (although only scored 1 or 2 iirc - his placement was dreadful). Average player.

James. Meh.

Thought James really stepped up post QPR away. Think he was a major factor in us pulling away from the bottom 3.

no_loyalty

Ostigard hardly featuring for Stoke, I wonder if Brighton will recall him in January and loan him out to another Championship club, like they did with Vik last season?

Colin Steins Smile

Ostigard hardly featuring for Stoke, I wonder if Brighton will recall him in January and loan him out to another Championship club, like they did with Vik last season?
Ostigard is an interesting case, as I've thought his best position would be in the middle of a back 3 - rather than on the right side. I thought during last season that he looked like the successor to Fadz.
It'll be interesting to see what happens next with him, as I'm sure both he and Brighton will be fed up with his lack of playing time.

Mucca Mad Boys

Osti should probably do what we can to engineer a move back to us on loan. BHA nor Osti expected us to be around the playoffs in December.

Assuming we’re interested and can afford him, that is.

Blind-Faith

Ostigard is an interesting case, as I've thought his best position would be in the middle of a back 3 - rather than on the right side. I thought during last season that he looked like the successor to Fadz.
It'll be interesting to see what happens next with him, as I'm sure both he and Brighton will be fed up with his lack of playing time.

Exactly my thoughts aswell, I had him marked down as a potential replacement to fadz aswell. Would be great to get him back.

I never saw what others saw with James , looked average to me and not worth the massive wages he would almost certainly command.

Walsh to far in the past now for me 👎

Marty

I’d take Walsh and Østigård back as cover/competition but I don’t think either would wal back into the team right now.

Id take Walsh over Kelly and Osti over both Hyam and Rose. Osti would have buried one of those crosses Kane put on a plate for them.

shmmeee

Id take Walsh over Kelly and Osti over both Hyam and Rose. Osti would have buried one of those crosses Kane put on a plate for them.

I think Walsh would be up against Hamer. Right now he’s walk into the side but when Gus is back not so sure.

Hard to say with Osti and header. He seemed to create loads and miss almost all of them. I do love him though. And Hyam is missing just as many I guess.

Jagmannn

I agree that Osti could be Fadz replacement ....Osti was really impressive at the End of last season .....Rose & Hyam are improving all the time ....but need a bit of muscle at the back

slowpoke

Another here in the OSti long term successor to Fadz camp

He's out of contract in the summer, I think we'll be interested
I liked Ostigard but there will be better than him available come summer going to be a lot of released freebie players about again.

Hertsccfc

James was an astute short term loan and crucial to our survival especially as Sheaf was largely injured during that time and inexperienced. At the time we needed James' know how, but glad we didn't sign him in the summer.

Walsh has no real pedigree at this level and has had lots of injuries, so we are lucky that we didn't sign him. I still feel he might well come good in due course but who knows given he has hardly played for so long.

Ostigard appears to be suffering from second season syndrome and based on last season I am not convinced he is a top Championship player. He has a lot of potential but I can see how he wouldn't be good enough for Stoke's first team at the moment.

Ccfcisparks

James was an astute short term loan and crucial to our survival especially as Sheaf was largely injured during that time and inexperienced. At the time we needed James' know how, but glad we didn't sign him in the summer.

Walsh has no real pedigree at this level and has had lots of injuries, so we are lucky that we didn't sign him. I still feel he might well come good in due course but who knows given he has hardly played for so long.

Ostigard appears to be suffering from second season syndrome and based on last season I am not convinced he is a top Championship player. He has a lot of potential but I can see how he wouldn't be good enough for Stoke's first team at the moment.
So would you not have Ostigard as part of our back 3?

Hod dog

would love to see Osti back in our back 3 but cannot see it happening.

Walsh was great in league 1 but now a gamble in championship, which to be fair is the model robins always says we are working on, bring players in that are unproven at the level or not developed at the level yet, which is why they are available in first place, but think we will find better out there.

James was a brilliant loan signing for what we needed, but is not a permanent move we would look to do now.

fatso

I'd love to see Ostigard back here, he's the obvious successor to Fadz, and he would at least make set pieces dangerous again.

shmmeee

I’d like to see us bring in a Fadz understudy/replacement and two LCBs in the summer and have Hyam and Rose fight it out for RCB. Not sure where Osti fits in there if as said above he’s not got the passing range to replace McFadz

Liquid Gold

Not signing James on a permanent was one of our best bits of business in the summer. He's on a wedge at Bristol City and is doing absolutely nothing to earn it.

blunted

We tried to sign James but were priced out of the market. That train has left the station, not because of ability but cost. I would take a punt on Walsh on loan, if he can pass a medical and can prove his fitness. Feel a fit Walsh still has immense potential. Osti is a strange one. He has the attitude to achieve and wins a lot of headers in both boxes. Think we miss his winning first headers from corners, even though his directional control is a bit wayward. At the start of the season, I thought Osti would have easily made our back three, but now, not so sure especially if JCS can come back fit.

slowpoke

JCS when fit puts a difference dimension to us balances the back three as he would a flat back four and Maatsen is a better player alongside him another interesting dilemma for Robins.
Osti was good for us last season not getting into the Stoke team isnt a big deal for me but is he at the next level we need to be at that’s the question.
Could he do the McFadz role, not sure.

Danceswithhorses

Players respond, or not, to management styles and coaching. There are countless examples of players who did well with one club but not with another. Thanks goodness we have a good manager and good coaching. Long may it continue.
It can work the other way too...just look at Robins himself...Great with Cov, then enticed away to Huddersfiled (sacked), and then employed by Scunthorpe (hardly a prestigious appointment for him...but sacked also), and back to Cov (great again).
Some clubs just suit a certain player or manager

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

I’d like to see us bring in a Fadz understudy/replacement and two LCBs in the summer and have Hyam and Rose fight it out for RCB. Not sure where Osti fits in there if as said above he’s not got the passing range to replace McFadz

6 first team CBs? That just isn’t happening.

Users who are viewing this thread