Kevin Thomson (1 Viewer)

Greggs

"But it makes you much stronger going forward".

You've made a huge sweeping statement here. I'm unsure why you're labelling other people as morons when your comment in itself was the only thing moronic posted in this thread.

Your penultimate sentence is highly ironic because what you've accused me of is exactly what you've done yourself. Just because you came out of the other side doesn't mean others have.

Think before you speak.
he says it made him stronger!

Liquid Gold

It mentions there was some investigation at the club. Who would have conducted it and found it all to be OK? They shouldn't let this sort of shit slide.

Reactions: AOM

Brighton Sky Blue

Reading the article it seems as though it was just a bit of banter gone too far.
Its not nice, and like he says you feel down and alone at the time, but it makes you much stronger going forward. Its part of learning and growing up. As shit as it seems, I can garuntee hes much stronger for it now and in the the same situation now would handle himself much better and likewise if he seen someone in a similar situation he would know what to do/say.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’ve read this in full, I don’t see how it’s part of growing up. For starters, why weren’t the people doing it subjected to the same thing? If someone comes to me and complains of being bullied do I just tell them it’s a part of growing up? What a weird argument to make.

kg82

Character buliding and practical jokes are standard behaviour among team 'mates'. Where do we draw the line then? No human can ever interact with another in fear of causing a breakdown? I'm all for politness and respect - but not everything is bullying an abuse.
I get practical jokes and ripping the piss out of each other. Where do you draw the line? I mean, boot polish on the balls is pretty much over it. But whatever floats your boat.

TomRad85

It mentions there was some investigation at the club. Who would have conducted it and found it all to be OK? They shouldn't let this sort of shit slide.
You would think the bare minimum the club could do for a young lad they themselves bought down from Scotland would be to make sure he wasn't sexually assaulted from within. What the hell were the coaches doing?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TomRad85

I get practical jokes and ripping the piss out of each other. Where do you draw the line? I mean, boot polish on the balls is pretty much over it. But whatever floats your boat.
That definitely only qualifies as banter in Rugby changing rooms.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

pastythegreat

I’ve read this in full, I don’t see how it’s part of growing up. For starters, why weren’t the people doing it subjected to the same thing? If someone comes to me and complains of being bullied do I just tell them it’s a part of growing up? What a weird argument to make.
Who says the people doing it weren't subject to the same thing? When they were 15/16 and at their own club, who says they weren't?

Im not saying its okay, but can you imagine being 18, its your first team debut and your playing against Roy Keane. Having been treated like you were 2 years ago you can now take what Roy says to you on the chin. Water off a ducks back if you like. Whereas before, you'd have gone off at half time crying, begging the manager not to send you back out there again.
Like I say, im not condoning behavior like this, but can you see where it might have its benefits. Older players had it when they were younger and so on. As much as I detest the guy who bullied me, and hated it at the time, it certainly made me stronger as a person and helped me a lot as I got older.

Ccfcisparks

Who says the people doing it weren't subject to the same thing? When they were 15/16 and at their own club, who says they weren't?

Im not saying its okay, but can you imagine being 18, its your first team debut and your playing against Roy Keane. Having been treated like you were 2 years ago you can now take what Roy says to you on the chin. Water off a ducks back if you like. Whereas before, you'd have gone off at half time crying, begging the manager not to send you back out there again.
Like I say, im not condoning behavior like this, but can you see where it might have its benefits. Older players had it when they were younger and so on. As much as I detest the guy who bullied me, and hated it at the time, it certainly made me stronger as a person and helped me a lot as I got older.

Was Roy Keane rubbing the CM's balls with boot polish in the first half?

kg82

Tell me how having a finger stuck up your arse stops you from crying over being told you’re crap?

AOM

Reading the article it seems as though it was just a bit of banter gone too far.
Its not nice, and like he says you feel down and alone at the time, but it makes you much stronger going forward. Its part of learning and growing up. As shit as it seems, I can garuntee hes much stronger for it now and in the the same situation now would handle himself much better and likewise if he seen someone in a similar situation he would know what to do/say.

It doesn't make everyone stronger though.
This sounds like bullying and physical/mental abuse, and it ruins/ends lives.

Don't know why 'banter' is used so much as an excuse to treat people terribly

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Where have I said its okay? Listen, sit and judge me all you like. As somebody who has been in a very similar situation to Thompson I know how he must've felt at the time, I also know how I felt coming out the other end and how it changed me in life. Not that I have to justify myself to a you or anyone else on this shitty little forum.
Read my post IN FULL before picking out lines out of context and realise what it is exactly that im saying.
NOWHERE have I said it was okay to bully or "abuse" him, nowhere have I said that its fine to do it to anyone. I'm giving my side of things from somebody who has been bullied, but hey, ypu must have a better idea how I felt and how Thompson must've felt, so please, let me know exactly how I should be now after being bullied? I'd love to hear your view on MY outlook on life now.

Difference is you're taking your experience and extrapolating it onto everyone else. Some can come out the otherside stronger people. Often though they give the tough exterior but basically just become cunts as they refuse to believe the best in people, or become bullies themselves.

Others will have been unable to form friendships/relationships, struggling to work due to becoming totally introverted and hermitlike, shutting themsleves off from society. Some can never recover and end up committing suicide.

Don't assume because you reacted a particular way everyone else does.

mr_monkey

But that's the issue, it's great that it's made you stronger it really is, but not everyone reacts in the same way as you did and it's been more apparent in recent years just what a negative affect this "banter" has had on people over the years as people only now feel it's ok to talk about it

fernandopartridge

We're not talking about child abuse here though. Were talking about a young man starting out in life, bullied by people around him. Let's not make this in to something its not. Its somebody getting bullied at work not child abuse.

He's a 15 year old kid away from home, i accept bullying will happen but if it was and CCFC academy did nothing about it then that really doesn't reflect well at all.

robbiethemole

so working at the Jag in mid 70's aged 17,and having your balls felt up by the women in the Trim shop hasn't really fucked up my life, but that's only my experience. Maybe I have strong moral fibre??

mark82

Getting pissed on in the showers, deep heat in boxers, hair removal cream in shower gel, shoe laces chopped and fish in boot bags. The world is too soft nowadays.

Why, exactly, would you ever think to piss on someone in the showers?

mark82

so working at the Jag in mid 70's aged 17,and having your balls felt up by the women in the Trim shop hasn't really fucked up my life, but that's only my experience. Maybe I have strong moral fibre??

Doesn't make it right that they did it, and there may well be others it happened to where it did negatively impact them.

Hey, Jimmy Savile was just having #bantz.

Brighton Sky Blue

We shouldn’t be treating each other like that in the first place was my point. It’s attitudes like these that are so hard to challenge because of the pressure they put on young men and boys. See it every day in school with some of the ‘lads’ forcing others into acting in ways they don’t really want to. Not having a go at you in particular, the societal pressure is huge as well. You ‘toughened up’ and Kevin Thomson has done well for himself. Others take their own lives.

steve cooper

I don't normally get involved in these type of conversations, but I will say that when I was young bullying meant physical abuse pretty much exclusively, i.e. getting beaten up, but now rightly, it is taken to mean any unwanted attention, as said in other posts.
I doubt very much if being bullied makes anyone stronger, but what it does do in some cases, is to cause the bullied person to develop coping mechanisms, which can take many forms.
Often the bullied person goes on to bully others.

pastythegreat

I don't normally get involved in these type of conversations, but I will say that when I was young bullying meant physical abuse pretty much exclusively, i.e. getting beaten up, but now rightly, it is taken to mean any unwanted attention, as said in other posts.
I doubt very much if being bullied makes anyone stronger, but what it does do in some cases, is to cause the bullied person to develop coping mechanisms, which can take many forms.
Often the bullied person goes on to bully others.
I think that's a very good way of explaining it. Its more of a coping mechanism than it is something that made me stronger. It certainly changed me though. And it made me stronger with bullies, I swore to myself afterwards I'd never let anyone treat me that way again. If anything I can be overly harsh on management at work when I think they're trying to take the piss. I over compensate sometimes and can go too far. But ill always stand for what I believe in now and will fight for my rights.

covcity4life

No offence but the bully has fucked up your personality.

Change whilst you still can. Don't let him win

fatso

And the world wonders why there is a male mental health Pandemic at the moment
Because we’ve become soft as shit, we are a public who can’t deal with any hardship, We’ve been cocooned and protected so much that we don’t have any coping skills to manage in a modern world.

Now before you all start crying and running to your mums like a bunch of pussies, I’m not condoning the behaviour that happened to this teenage lad, who was away from home for the first time, as it was clearly an example of bullying that was totally unacceptable.

But things have definitely gone too far the other way in recent years,
I have 3 kids (all in 20’s now) and I’m constantly surprised at how little their generation can cope with.

My grandparents were bombed out of their home, my great grandfather fought and died in WW1 (battle of loos). Kids today have a complete fucking meltdown when their phone battery dies!!! Soft cunts!

clint van damme

Because we’ve become soft as shit, we are a public who can’t deal with any hardship, We’ve been cocooned and protected so much that we don’t have any coping skills to manage in a modern world.

Now before you all start crying and running to your mums like a bunch of pussies, I’m not condoning the behaviour that happened to this teenage lad, who was away from home for the first time, as it was clearly an example of bullying that was totally unacceptable.

I have 3 kids (all in 20’s now) and I’m constantly surprised at how little their generation can cope with.

My grandparents were bombed out of their home, my great grandfather fought and died in WW1 (battle of loos). Kids today have a complete fucking meltdown when their phone battery dies!!! Soft cunts!

So you agree this incident is unacceptable but decided to use it as a vehicle to have a go at twenty something's?
Fucking weirdo.

mr_monkey

I hope this is a joke otherwise you really need some serious help mate

fatso

Why must everything be compared to a generation that lived through a world war?
It’s just a valid example of how the public used to be able to cope with severe hardship. And is used as just one example.
I do realise that some on here won’t be able to grasp that though.

clint van damme

You really are a little thick.

That's ironic given your contribution to this thread.
But fair play, you've managed to outdo your initial post with the one you just put up about enduring hardship. Quite an achievement that.

Users who are viewing this thread