Keogh, I just don't get it... (1 Viewer)

mexico88

Why do we need the money from the sale of Keogh? I thought our owners already committed to a season of financial support? So the sale of Keogh... 'Need' the money? or 'want' the money?

Why do our fans simply accept that our best player is being sold and put up no fight at all? Is it because SISU will authorise 4 more £500 a week players with no sign on fee that no other club competes for? And 4 players have got to be better that 1, right? Wait... are you allowed to play 4 players in one position?

And why do we put so much support behind a manager that is happy to carry on with the worst managerial record in our history when he clearly has no backbone to fight back and protect his reputation. He simply spouts the the same lies as our morraly curroupt owners? Or... tows the line. Is that the sign of a leader?

June: "Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has said that as far as he is concerned Richard Keogh is staying with the Sky Blues.
Speaking to the CT's Andy Turner about Keogh who has been interesting Bristol City and Cardiff City, Andy Thorn said: "Keogh’s under contract so he’s not going anywhere as far as I am concerned.
"I want him to stay and lead us back into the Championship and even though the embargo has been in place we’ve still been in negotiations with Richard and Martin Cranie about keeping them at the club because I want to keep them, as I do all of my good players.
"I want to get promoted the same as everyone else so let’s see what we can do now."

Confused...

kg82

So is this going to open up the AT argument again?! Greeeaaaattt, this should be fun. I've heard pretty much every manager say those sentences word for word at some point, by the way

hill83

Manager in 'saying player is staying then player leaving shocker'

Grendel

Sisu have not said they will give extra money and the club needs to self fund which involves raising cash through player sales.

mexico88

Fans duped in 'we'll re-invest statement'. Fans duped in 'there were other clubs interested' statement. Thorn dupes fans to avoid growing criticisms of his management style 'I'll stay if I get the backing I need and we have a bounce back budget to aim for promotion'

Does he ever say anything genuine? Or is it all bull? How many 'dupes' do you want to take?

mexico88

Sisu have not said they will give extra money and the club needs to self fund which involves raising cash through player sales.

When did they say this? I must have missed it? So if it's true...that means we need to still sell more players, otherwise we wont make the end of the season financially?

Grendel

Voice_of_Reason

I can't see why this is at all relevant. Keogh wants to go -- end of. I have no doubt SISU factored in both Keogh and Cranie staying with the club. Keogh is under contract and we could have insisted he stayed -- and got nothing for him in 12 months time! Instead, SISU is keeping within its budget by signing players on a free -- WHO STILL WANT PAYING ! So, the money for Bigi and Keogh will not only be invested in the Academy, bit will also fund the wages of the new players brought in -- and more players to come. I call this good business !

ccfctommy

Mexico88 - It would be extrememly bad business to pay money for a player and let his contract expire and for him leave for nothing.

We have to reduce costs anyway, so it makes a lot of sense to sell him for a good price with a year left on his contract.

If this player plus a million from Derby is true, then that is very good business.

tippex9

We sell early to get some money...... Stupid
We keep them till they can leave for free.... Stupid

People need to make their minds up which they prefer. We're no longer a Prem club, we have zero financial clout, there's atleast 44 clubs in a better position in football than us right now.

Welcome to lower league football where you sell to survive and just hope you can hold your best players for as long as possible.

Like it or not that's where we are

mexico88

Mexico88 - It would be extrememly bad business to pay money for a player and let his contract expire and for him leave for nothing.

We have to reduce costs anyway, so it makes a lot of sense to sell him for a good price with a year left on his contract.

If this player plus a million from Derby is true, then that is very good business.

Good business for Derby adding strength to their squad.

Would he still be in contract on the day of promotion? City, fresh from promotion get + many millions more for fielding the best team possible. That's good business.

Keep your best players, aim to win all your games, get promoted, fill your ground. This should be the only goal of a football club.

Yorkshire SB

Why do we need the money from the sale of Keogh? I thought our owners already committed to a season of financial support? So the sale of Keogh... 'Need' the money? or 'want' the money?

Why do our fans simply accept that our best player is being sold and put up no fight at all? Is it because SISU will authorise 4 more £500 a week players with no sign on fee that no other club competes for? And 4 players have got to be better that 1, right? Wait... are you allowed to play 4 players in one position?

And why do we put so much support behind a manager that is happy to carry on with the worst managerial record in our history when he clearly has no backbone to fight back and protect his reputation. He simply spouts the the same lies as our morraly curroupt owners? Or... tows the line. Is that the sign of a leader?

June: "Coventry City manager Andy Thorn has said that as far as he is concerned Richard Keogh is staying with the Sky Blues.
Speaking to the CT's Andy Turner about Keogh who has been interesting Bristol City and Cardiff City, Andy Thorn said: "Keogh’s under contract so he’s not going anywhere as far as I am concerned.
"I want him to stay and lead us back into the Championship and even though the embargo has been in place we’ve still been in negotiations with Richard and Martin Cranie about keeping them at the club because I want to keep them, as I do all of my good players.
"I want to get promoted the same as everyone else so let’s see what we can do now."

Confused...

Are you honestly confused, because statement's like that are standard practice in football these days.

More to the point Keogh and Cranie were a CB partnership that ultimately got us relegated. I'm a fan of Keogh don't get me wrong, he wears his heart on his sleeve, throws himself into tackles, and works as hard as anyone with great levels of consistency. These are all attributes of a typical fans favourite and I think this can affect a fans judgement of the technical ability of the player. Do we really need him next season I don't believe so, were we in Championship still and sold him then I would feel differently.

tippex9

No guarantee promotion would encourage him to stay. Money talks and we don't have a lot to say, promotion would only get us back to where we were 12 months ago. Hardly a reason for a player getting offers from wealthier clubs to commit to a club with no money and one good season in twelve.

skyblueman

SISU want the money from Keogh and anyone else for cash-flow - it's OBVIOUS!!!

Blimey they would sell Sky Blue Sam if they thought he was worth a few quid

valiant15

Tippex,welcome to lower league football where you sell to survive? Have we been in league 1 since shitsu have been here then? Mexico,your wasting your breath with some of these on here,we could go non league with this crock of shit owners and they'd still give shitsu one last chance,after they've been bought with a couple of freebies from atherstone and rugby to bolster the squad.

ccfctommy

Good business for Derby adding strength to their squad.

Would he still be in contract on the day of promotion? City, fresh from promotion get + many millions more for fielding the best team possible. That's good business.

Keep your best players, aim to win all your games, get promoted, fill your ground. This should be the only goal of a football club.

If we do get promoted this season then he will be only under contract for a few months and will lose him for nothing.

We have offered him a new contract and he has turned it down, if he dosen't want to play for us in the long term then we might as well sell him and get some money to replace him.

Grendel

Tippex,welcome to lower league football where you sell to survive? Have we been in league 1 since shitsu have been here then? Mexico,your wasting your breath with some of these on here,we could go non league with this crock of shit owners and they'd still give shitsu one last chance,after they've been bought with a couple of freebies from atherstone and rugby to bolster the squad.

Personally I'm looking forward to the season and I haven't thought that for a long time.

skyblueman

Personally I'm looking forward to the season and I haven't thought that for a long time.

As am I Grendel - honestly I am more optimistic than I have been for a while despite the current lack of cover in the squad - BUT if it doesn't go as well as we think it should and starts to look like a struggle in this league - where on earth do we go from there???

tippex9

You seem to have read my post and made me pro-SISU, I am well aware that they are responsible for where we are and would love to see the back of them.

Fact is, we ARE L1 and teams taking our better players for small change or even free is how it works. Ask Walsall (Dann, Fox) Carlisle (Westwood) Stockport (Baker) Wolves (Keane) Norwich (Bellamy)..... The list goes on

We are what we are.... Realism is needed.

wingy

I think a fair few already know the answer. ;)
Even If we do reasonably this season say around 6-8th ,what happens Next year ? Theres still potentially one more sale required on top of keogh to fund this season, Willis ,Thomas ,names that keep being linked to other clubs,is this model sustainable ? Who goes next year in that scenario,Fleck, Clarke --who I think is in final year this year ,then we're into Cody and this years new crop ,just how sustainable is it?

skyblueman

Even If we do reasonably this season say around 6-8th ,what happens Next year ? Theres still potentially one more sale required on top of keogh to fund this season, Willis ,Thomas ,names that keep being linked to other clubs,is this model sustainable ? Who goes next year in that scenario,Fleck, Clarke --who I think is in final year this year ,then we're into Cody and this years new crop ,just how sustainable is it?

It's definitely a gamble Wingy - not all that sustainable IMO unless we get lucky with the new blood - but a lot more palatable for our beloved owners than gambling with their own money

CCFCSteve

Whilst I don't agree with how sisu have handled the running of the club since becoming owners I'm not sure what fans expect ?! We are losing money and they won't keep chucking more in, most clubs in the league are selling clubs, keoghs got a year left on his contract(and not signing a new one) and we need other players to strengthen the squad.

Unless there's a fairy godmother out there, this is reality !

I've been more upset but some of the sales and lack of replacements in the past ie last summer and then the juke but at least we're getting some players in now !

torchomatic

Oh give it a rest. We've always done it and we always will.

Every single one of your posts slags off your fellow fans.

Users who are viewing this thread