Kastaneer, the new Kevin Malaga? (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueCRJ

my god, "critique".. we have a bunch of wannabe Barry Normans on here, dissecting and deliberating over everything thats possible to turn into a negative

You do realise that there's a stark difference between finding something to criticise for the sake of it and criticising something that warrants criticism, don't you? In my book it's far better to have an educated opinion on something rather than be a conformist. So to be honest I'd take being a 'wannable Barry Norman' any day of the week over considering Badlan et al. completely omniscient, thank you.

Ring Of Steel

You do realise that there's a stark difference between finding something to criticise for the sake of it and criticising something that warrants criticism, don't you? In my book it's far better to have an educated opinion on something rather than be a conformist. So to be honest I'd take being a 'wannable Barry Norman' any day of the week over considering Badlan et al. completely omniscient, thank you.
You'll need an education before you start making educated opinions m8

shy_tall_knight

I remember Malaga's header in an evening game at the Ricoh - very bad, often wonder what scouts can't see that the average fan spot very quickly

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Somehow Jobello seems to have anti-Ponticelli syndrome. With Ponticelli the longer he went without playing, the better he became in some fans mind. With Jobello it appears he was now poor and has somehow done us an injustice, when he did perfectly fine up until his injury. Was a mainstay in an unbeaten team offering an outlet out wide. Took to moving to another country/culture without speaking the language well. Harsh to bring him into the same conversation as Kastaneer.

clint van damme

Somehow Jobello seems to have anti-Ponticelli syndrome. With Ponticelli the longer he went without playing, the better he became in some fans mind. With Jobello it appears he was now poor and has somehow done us an injustice, when he did perfectly fine up until his injury. Was a mainstay in an unbeaten team offering an outlet out wide. Took to moving to another country/culture without speaking the language well. Harsh to bring him into the same conversation as Kastaneer.

he was improving every time he played.

Sick Boy

Yeah I felt that we really missed him when he first got injured.

torchomatic

Totally agree. I thought he was starting to make an impact and you could see why the scouts had recommended him to Robins.

SkyBlueCRJ

I wouldn't go as far to say Jobello was poor, but he wasn't exactly ripping up trees either - which I'd argue is a fair assessment given he'd only registered 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 games. Equally, from seeing him play he didn't have the quality that Badlan had originally implied.

My particular grievance wasn't with Jobello's quality though as I thought he was OK given the circumstances that you stated in your post. It was more directed towards Badlan's thought process of bringing in a player who had suffered 2/3 ACL injuries previously in his career - when we'd already been bitten more than once by the same injury in previous seasons (nearly derailing our season in League 2 I might add). You could argue that perhaps it's slightly harsh to put that on Badlan's head as this is football and Robins realistically would've had the final say - however in my opinion it was still a naive decision.

Last edited:

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

I wouldn't go as far to say Jobello was poor, but he wasn't exactly ripping up trees either - which I'd argue is a fair assessment given he'd only registered 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 games. Equally, from seeing him play he didn't have the quality that Badlan had originally implied.

My particular grievance wasn't with Jobello's quality though as I thought he was OK given the circumstances that you stated in your post. It was more directed towards Badlan's thought process of bringing in a player who had suffered 2/3 ACL injuries previously in his career, when we'd already been bitten more than once by the same injury in previous seasons (nearly derailing our season in League 2 I might add). You could argue that's perhaps it's slightly harsh to put that on Badlan's head as this is football and Robins realistically would've had the final say - however in my opinion it was still a naive decision.
Possibly, but you like many others, are hoping and suggesting that someone might come in for Wilson, who has also suffered the same fate of 2 ACL injuries. I wouldn't personally say it was naive of a club to take a risk on Wilson, it would be a calculated risk. We took one with Jobello, and unfortunately for us, but more unfortunately for him, it hasn't paid off this time, so far.

PVA

Jobello did fine. He showed some real glimpses and also some things he could improve on.

However, his injury has actually led to this new formation and he wouldn't get in the side at the moment.

I think that's another thing that is holding back and working against Kasta. We aren't playing with wingers, so he really doesn't have much chance of getting in now. If we were still playing with wingers I am certain we would have seen more of him.

SkyBlueCRJ

Jobello did fine. He showed some real glimpses and also some things he could improve on.

However, his injury has actually led to this new formation and he wouldn't get in the side at the moment.

I think that's another thing that is holding back and working against Kasta. We aren't playing with wingers, so he really doesn't have much chance of getting in now. If we were still playing with wingers I am certain we would have seen more of him.

Certain? Baring in mind even after Jobello's injury, Robins still stuck to the same formation for a few games and preferred to put a midfielder on the wing instead of Kastaneer. What makes you so certain he'd start now when he's not even featuring for the U23's?

SkyBlueCRJ

I didn't say he would start now.

Way to take 2 and 2 and make 10!

"If we were still playing with wingers I am certain we would have seen more of him"

Did you make that clear in your post? Plus, how is that taking 2+2 and making 10? He wouldn't feature at all

PVA

No, I didn't make it clear. But 'feature more' does not equate to 'he would start now' does it?

I said if we still played with wingers he'd have featured more. Reason being we have no reason to put him on the bench now as he doesn't fit the formation. But if we still played with two wingers he'd be worth a place on the bench to chuck on for the last few minutes for a tiring winger. MR isn't going to send on Westbrooke or Allen or Biamou to replace a winger is he, but he might send on Kastaneer.

I never said he would start, nor am I claiming he's a brilliant player or anything. Why are people so tetchy on here recently!? You'd think with our recent success everyone would be more chilled out.

Reactions: vow

SkyBlueCRJ

Possibly, but you like many others, are hoping and suggesting that someone might come in for Wilson, who has also suffered the same fate of 2 ACL injuries. I wouldn't personally say it was naive of a club to take a risk on Wilson, it would be a calculated risk. We took one with Jobello, and unfortunately for us, but more unfortunately for him, it hasn't paid off this time, so far.

Perhaps that may be the reason none of the top clubs came in for him in the summer? Wouldn't be so much of a calculated risk if £40M is on the line. So I think the differential between what's considered naivety and what's believed to be a calculated risk is, and will be Wilson's price tag.

SkyBlueCRJ

I said if we still played with wingers he'd have featured more. Reason being we have no reason to put him on the bench now as he doesn't fit the formation. But if we still played with two wingers he'd be worth a place on the bench to chuck on for the last few minutes for a tiring winger. MR isn't going to send on Westbrooke or Allen or Biamou to replace a winger is he, but he might send on Kastaneer.

I never said he would start, nor am I claiming he's a brilliant player or anything. Why are people so tetchy on here recently!? You'd think with our recent success everyone would be more chilled out.

I'm not getting tetchy I'm simply asking what's the basis for your argument that he'd be certain to feature more for the first team when he's not even featuring for the U23's? This is what I'm taking issue with. As I genuinely think at the minute Robins would rather put Sky Blue Sam on the bench over Kastaneer.

Even if we reverted back to that formation (which we wouldn't because we haven't got the players for it) surely he'd rather put O'Hare on the right and reconsider his view of Hiwula and start him on the left? As he did against MK Dons, Tranmere and Fleetwood. Then on the bench he'd surely be forced to choose Jones as an impact sub. Where's the sense in putting an unfit player on the bench when he won't be used?

Last edited:

Londonccfcfan

I’m pretty sure it’s got nothing to do with Kastaneer ‘settling in’. I think it’s just that he’s not very good at football...whether he’s at home or abroad.

I think Its more fitness issues. Hes been trying to get fit without carrying any injuries for 6 months now!

If as a pro footballer you cant get up to speed after a couple of months training. Theres something wrong.

Terry_dactyl

I think Its more fitness issues. Hes been trying to get fit without carrying any injuries for 6 months now!

If as a pro footballer you cant get up to speed after a couple of months training. Theres something wrong.
If that’s True He must not be looking after himself. Has he actually been injured?

better days

The real problem with Kasteneer is that he's not a team player
Give him the ball and he'll either try to barrel his way through the entire opposition 11 until he loses it and puts us under pressure
Or he'll have a thunderous shot miles over the bar from 40 yards when he has unmarked, pissed off team mates free on either side of him
Not being able to get fit is the cherry on the cake

mark82

What we don't know is whether there is some lingering effect from the injury he suffered over the summer. It's easy to criticise and write him off but we don't know the full details.

cc84cov

The real problem with Kasteneer is that he's not a team player
Give him the ball and he'll either try to barrel his way through the entire opposition 11 until he loses it and puts us under pressure
Or he'll have a thunderous shot miles over the bar from 40 yards when he has unmarked, pissed off team mates free on either side of him
Not being able to get fit is the cherry on the cake
Shame our scout didn’t find out that small piece of info lol

stevefloyd

No manager has a 100% success rate with signings
in fact 50% is probably a good achievement - even consider some of the bums that Alex Ferguson signed
I remember Fergie signing Juan Veron ...that turned out well then he conned Chelski into signing him oops
The fact that we are even discussing one bad signing, shows what a great squad we have assembled

Users who are viewing this thread