Judging players (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Not true at all. He's playing to a similar standard but is now scoring goals.

He always worked hard and won headers. We're a far better side when he's in the team.

I bet you liked Sean Flynn

Otis

It's not the Coventry way at all. It's football. The same arguments will take place amongst the fans of all clubs.

Max did play well on occasion during the first part of the season, but he was clearly finding it difficult. I remember away at Barnet really feeling for the lad, because he was doing OK but it justing wasn't happening for him in the key moments.

In the end he found his feet, and what has emerged is a player that is not just full blooded, but who has ability. He has good technique, he is stong, good in the air, holds the ball up well; someone who is an asset at this level. Surprises me how some people couldn't see that, but hey, we're all shit armchair pundits at the end of the day.
If people cannot see how better a player Max Biamou has become as the season has worn on, then they cannot know much about football at all.

He looked raw when he first came in, but now looks a lot more accomplished, confident and understands his role in the team.

He has come on in leaps and bounds.

rupert_bear

If people cannot see how better a player Max Biamou has become as the season has worn on, then they cannot know much about football at all.

He looked raw when he first came in, but now looks a lot more accomplished, confident and understands his role in the team.

He has come on in leaps and bounds.
I have stuck up for Max Biamou from the first time I saw him, he had a quality in him that is more apparent the more he plays. He was playing for Sutton United last season ffs! Missed chances early on and took an age to get his first goal like a certain Ian Rush years ago at Liverpool, but has come good and will get better.
With Grimmer and Haynes for that matter imo I think both would be better playing in front of the full backs but neither are useless.
Our goalie! Has improved immensely this season has around 20 clean sheets and made it into the pick of division 2 team. Goalkeepers are notoriously late developers, but of course those constantly slagging him on here are never wrong are they.

Astute

Goalkeepers are notoriously late developers, but of course those constantly slagging him on here are never wrong are they.

How about considering what is really said by the vast majority on Burge.

What is said is that he makes good saves. But his kicking can be poor. He tries catching the ball instead of punching it. He comes for balls that he won't reach. He could also command his area better.

Do you disagree with any of this?

He is getting better. But I still get worried when the ball comes into our area.

Otis

I have stuck up for Max Biamou from the first time I saw him, he had a quality in him that is more apparent the more he plays. He was playing for Sutton United last season ffs! Missed chances early on and took an age to get his first goal like a certain Ian Rush years ago at Liverpool, but has come good and will get better.
With Grimmer and Haynes for that matter imo I think both would be better playing in front of the full backs but neither are useless.
Our goalie! Has improved immensely this season has around 20 clean sheets and made it into the pick of division 2 team. Goalkeepers are notoriously late developers, but of course those constantly slagging him on here are never wrong are they.
He's definitely changed his style. Earlier in the season he simply wasn't punching enough and it's clearly evident now that he is doing so on numerous occasions.

*That's Burge I'm talking about, not Biamou.

Evo1883

I think In relation to biamou , we have pretty much gone 80% of a season without him getting in on the goals .
The negativity towards him especially 35 games In was more than justified .
He has however scored 6 in the last 10 games so naturally people will say I told you so .
But we needed goals from him earlier , the fact he took so long to find his stride cost us points .

We go up nobody cares
I’m more than happy with his recent form but let’s be real mcnulty with 28 goals gets far less praise on here than biamou with 9

Last edited:

Grendel

“Maddison is overrated and won’t cut it in the championship”

“Biamou is the worst forward I have ever seen play a sustained amount of games for Coventry”

Ok then mate

Nope didn’t say he wouldn’t cut it in the championship.

If we had a real centre forward all season we’d now be promoted

I acknowledged he would probably make it as a premier league player

Last edited:

Evo1883

“Maddison is overrated and won’t cut it in the championship”

“Biamou is the worst forward I have ever seen play a sustained amount of games for Coventry”

Ok then mate

Statistically and goals per minute and the level we are playing at , he is one of the worst is he not ?
His recent form is good but won’t paper over a relatively poor season.

Like I said , get promoted nobody will care and I for one appreciate his contribution this late on

Grendel

Statistically and goals per minute and the level we are playing at , he is one of the worst is he not ?
His recent form is good but won’t paper over a relatively poor season.

Like I said , get promoted nobody will care and I for one appreciate his contribution this late on

Correct he is the worst and correct if we cross the line in the end it doesn’t matter

If we don’t the signing of him and allowing Beavon to stay will be the factors that cost us

Warwickhunt

Any opinions on JCH? I for one think there is a reasonably good centre foward in there but MR needs to shake him up and stop this dropping/diving every time someone touches him. it makes him not concentrate on his first touch as he is concentrating more on expecting to be hit.If he changed his game into Dele Adebolaesque type of play and use his muscle and upper body he would start to turn people's heads when he gets on the ball​

skybluetony176

Burge is a league 1/2 goalkeeper and is at a league 1/2 club surprisingly. I keep making the point that if he was as good as some people think he should be he wouldn’t be here, he’d be playing in the championship at least

Max’s problem is he was bought as a striker and his goal tally would indicate (if you’re going to use that as your yard stick) that he’s not necessarily a good one. BUT, and it is a big BUT there’s enough to his game to get over that. He was immense on Friday and not just his goals. He made things happen and kept the pressure on Notts County and that contributed to us dictating the game.

Haynes is the only one that I can’t muster a defence for. I don’t dislike the lad but his decision making is his problem. For me he’s slow to make one and he then loses us initiative, slowing play and opportunity. For me his stay with the club is done.

Colin Steins Smile

It is interesting to see how some players have improved through the season & this has to be connected to how coachable they are .... whilst there are a couple of players,who despite being in the same environment have not moved on . In short there has been some good work by the coaching staff in some key areas.

Astute

I think In relation to biamou , we have pretty much gone 80% of a season without him getting in on the goals .
He has however scored 6 in the last 10 games so naturally people will say I told you so .
But we needed goals from him earlier , the fact he took so long to find his stride cost us points .

We go up nobody cares
I’m more than happy with his recent form but let’s be real mcnulty with 28 goals gets far less praise on here than biamou with 9
Biamou had a lot to learn when he first got into the team. You could see that he had potential though. Now a season later he has learned a lot. He is now getting goals as still showing the potential.

Some people need to give our younger players time. They need experience against seasoned players before working out how they can beat them. But some expect them to be the finished article without much playing time.

Some said the same about Wilson. Look how much he improved in his second season. But a fair few wouldn't have been bothered if we had let him go befire the season started.

Evo1883

JCH is a better footballer than max biamou and was starting to score , he doesn’t seem to respond well when being dropped and his performances have weakened since Robins first pulled him out .
Could be really good at this level but needs somebody to work on his mentality with him.

Lee burge , doesn’t matter what I say fans will find a way to say he is unbelievable but the fact remains he’s cost us points and there is some serious work needed on hos commanding of his box and the basics of goalkeeping .
He’s a decent shot stopper but so is O’Brien , O’Brien was dropped very quickly and despite some serious errors from burge never got back in

Great_Expectations

He didn’t play well - STP is spot on - people like you would always support Biamou above players like John and Joachim because you mistake running and chasing for quality

It’s the coventry way

The two aren’t necessarily independent of one another, a player can have a good work rate and still have quality.

It is frustrating when people do that though, a little bit like people mistake the fact a strikers sole purpose is to score goals.

Astute

It is interesting to see how some players have improved through the season & this has to be connected to how coachable they are .... whilst there are a couple of players,who despite being in the same environment have not moved on . In short there has been some good work by the coaching staff in some key areas.
You can't polish a turd.

Not all players will make it. Some have the ability but don't put the effort in. Some put the effort in but don't have the ability. Then you have those who have a chance of making it.

Sky Blue Pete

I agree McNulty doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He is one of the main factors of us being in a chance to go up

Evo1883

And James Maddison , saw a video of him the other day and he’s a hell of a player now , much improved from his time at Coventry where he was relatively good anyway

Evo1883

I agree McNulty doesn’t get the credit he deserves. He is one of the main factors of us being in a chance to go up

He’s the best striker in league 2 , he had a slow start but if he came out firing he would have scored 35

stupot07

JCH is a better footballer than max biamou and was starting to score , he doesn’t seem to respond well when being dropped and his performances have weakened since Robins first pulled him out .

JCH has only scored 3 from open play 20 appearances the last of which was 12 games ago. Robins pulled him because he wasn't even looking like scoring and his performances had declined, in the 7-8 games before being dropped.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Liquid Gold

Biamou was training a couple of evenings a week and playing on a 3G pitch at Sutton last year part time. Seeing him change from the player coming on in the first game of the season who didn’t know where he should be to one that is dictating games and scoring goals had been one of the best things of the season.

Irish Sky Blue

We go up nobody cares
The negativity towards him wasn’t justified as in many of the games he played, he played well. All that was missing was the goals. The work rate, the touch, the ability to pick a pass (Notts at home first game of the season, Luton away) were all there. He has looked a good player in most games he has played. Because like Burge and Haynes he is on the “can never do anything right list”, a lot of people chose to ignore what was happening on the pitch.

Irish Sky Blue

Could be really good at this level but needs somebody to work on his mentality with him.

Lee burge , doesn’t matter what I say fans will find a way to say he is unbelievable but the fact remains he’s cost us points and there is some serious work needed on hos commanding of his box and the basics of goalkeeping .
He’s a decent shot stopper but so is O’Brien , O’Brien was dropped very quickly and despite some serious errors from burge never got back in
I disagree with this too. I have been disappointed with the performances of JCH. It would seem that Robins agrees otherwise he would never have left him out. I can’t think of one area in their respective games where JCH outshines Biamou. I hope we aren’t locked into a deal to take him next season as on the evidence of the past few months there would surely be better options out there.

Adge

The negativity towards him wasn’t justified as in many of the games he played, he played well. All that was missing was the goals. The work rate, the touch, the ability to pick a pass (Notts at home first game of the season, Luton away) were all there. He has looked a good player in most games he has played. Because like Burge and Haynes he is on the “can never do anything right list”, a lot of people chose to ignore what was happening on the pitch.
Can never do anything right list? Come on, how long do we give Haynes? Shall we give him another 2 years to see if he can “maybe” step up to the plate? Haynes must have now played 100 or so games, whereas with Biamou it took him 25 or so games to get going and you can see the improvement. Can’t see I’ve seen an improvement in Haynes over the same period or you could say longer period.

Irish Sky Blue

Can never do anything right list? Come on, how long do we give Haynes? Shall we give him another 2 years to see if he can “maybe” step up to the plate? Haynes must have now played 100 or so games, whereas with Biamou it took him 25 or so games to get going and you can see the improvement. Can’t see I’ve seen an improvement in Haynes over the same period or you could say longer period.
The problem is for those three players that some posters could never acknowledge when they have had a good game. There have been times this season when all three have played well but because they are who they are, this will never be recognised. For what it is worth, I don’t think that Haynes is the answer at left back (I am not sure that Stokes is either), Robins has given him a chance with a couple of extended runs in the team and he has failed to take them. It doesn’t mean that he or the other two can never have good games.

Adge

The problem is for those three players that some posters could never acknowledge when they have had a good game. There have been times this season when all three have played well but because they are who they are, this will never be recognised. For what it is worth, I don’t think that Haynes is the answer at left back (I am not sure that Stokes is either), Robins has given him a chance with a couple of extended runs in the team and he has failed to take them. It doesn’t mean that he or the other two can never have good games.
I remember Dion Kelly Evans having a couple of good games once upon a time.

Evo1883

Ultimately people have to accept that not everybody likes the same players .
Who is good in ones eyes may not be good in another .
Like I said get promoted and nobody will care , the squad will have done its job

Astute

Because like Burge and Haynes he is on the “can never do anything right list”.

This is just so wrong.

The vast majority mention the mistakes made by Burge. And then you have his usually poor distribution. But I can't think of anyone who doesn't mention the good saves he makes. Some of them after one of the mistakes he makes.

Or are we not allowed to point out weak spots on players anymore?

Even the Exeter supporters are asking if we still have that dodgy keeper. And if you were at that game you would know why.

But whatever he does wrong there are people ready to defend him.

He fully gets my backing when on the pitch. But I shit myself every time the ball comes into our area. But he finally seems to be getting better.

stevefloyd

The thing what links those 3 together is that their playing style would be described as laid back. Some football supporters tend to prefer players who just aimlessly chase the ball and then that means their a great player and can't be criticised because at least they give it their all. Andy Morrell and Stern John come to mind of players at opposite ends of the spectrum. Kelly's first 45 mins last night was the best CCFC performance from a midfielder I've seen for a long time, his contribution sometimes gets overlooked
Paul telfer used to run around a lot and I couldn't stand him

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

He didn’t play well - STP is spot on - people like you would always support Biamou above players like John and Joachim because you mistake running and chasing for quality

It’s the coventry way
This. Same with Hughes/Doyle, and Clingan to some extent.

Hughes and Clingan were far better players than Doyle, but Doyle got off lightly for years because he ran around a lot.

Must admit though, he’s what we’ve missed this season. However I feel that he’s just found his level.

Thing with Burge is, he had games like Wembley and Friday night - you just know he’s due a howler and that always worries me

covcity4life

This is just so wrong.

The vast majority mention the mistakes made by Burge. And then you have his usually poor distribution. But I can't think of anyone who doesn't mention the good saves he makes. Some of them after one of the mistakes he makes.

Or are we not allowed to point out weak spots on players anymore?

Even the Exeter supporters are asking if we still have that dodgy keeper. And if you were at that game you would know why.

But whatever he does wrong there are people ready to defend him.

He fully gets my backing when on the pitch. But I shit myself every time the ball comes into our area. But he finally seems to be getting better.
well said

and as for biamou hes had loads of support from the fanbase even when not looking like he would ever score

so stfu OP

Users who are viewing this thread