Jon Sharp - BPA (2 Viewers)

Astute

I am not saying you didn't say that though. You also seem annoyed that Wasps did the same you didn't want SISU to do....
Absolutely pissed off that they did. We lost the Ricoh and instead of it giving a way out for SISU we still have them and no stadium.

clint van damme

What is ambition? Building a stadium that is too big for you in the vague hope that somehow the fickle people of Coventry will fill it every week? That went well with the Ricoh when we moved there, similar seems to be happening with Wasps.

I would probably just agree that 15k is on the small side and perhaps 20k would be about right.

I think we need something around 30k and with a bit of ambition we should be able to fill it every week.

The club needs rebuilding so I'm not suggesting 30k crowds are just around the corner but it would definitely be what I would aim for.

Bear in mind that if we ever got to the prem (don't laugh), the away following would be 5,000 per game.

Astute

What is ambition? Building a stadium that is too big for you in the vague hope that somehow the fickle people of Coventry will fill it every week? That went well with the Ricoh when we moved there, similar seems to be happening with Wasps.

I would probably just agree that 15k is on the small side and perhaps 20k would be about right.
15k is enough for where we are now. But after one promotion it wouldn't be. And we would also lose some of that to segregation.

Astute

I think we need something around 30k and with a bit of ambition we should be able to fill it every week.

The club needs rebuilding so I'm not suggesting 30k crowds are just around the corner but it would definitely be what I would aim for.

Bear in mind that if we ever got to the prem (don't laugh), the away following would be 5,000 per game.
We don't need a 30k stadium unless we get back to the Prem. If we ever do the Sky money would mean that we could purchase the coffin dodgers home next door and expand on one side.

Grendel

Premier league games against the likes of palace, burnley, Boro, Sunderland, Bournemouth wouldn't attract anywhere near they level of attendance.

Grendel

Premier league games against the likes of palace, burnley, Boro, Sunderland, Bournemouth wouldn't attract anywhere near they level of attendance.

clint van damme

not based on recent history, but I think you've got to show a bit of ambition.

Albion,Stoke,Leicester and Blues all get/got crowds of between 25-30,000 in the prem.

We were on a par with all of them attendance wise when we were all in the old first division back in the day.

If we ever had a run like Albion or Stoke where we had a couple of promotions to get the interest going there would be plenty of demand.

duffer

Bournemouth have got, what, 11,500? They're in the prem. Straight question, not a trap, why do we need a 25,000 seater stadium?

Otis

Bournemouth have got, what, 11,500? They're in the prem. Straight question, not a trap, why do we need a 25,000 seater stadium?
Because that is what would be needed if and when we got to the Premier.

Top of my head, as it stands now in terms of teams in the Premier, we would get 25,000 or very, very close to it against Man U, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal.

Reckon we would get 20,000 against West Brom too.

Stoke, Palace, Burnley, Hull and Middlesbrough would be quite a bit less.

Astute

We would need bigger than 15k in the Championship. We would need the income to compete. We wouldn't need it in the Prem as the gate money would be quite insignificant. But it would be good if we could all watch the good times after what we have been through after getting relegated from the Prem.

clint van damme

Their owners throw money at the team, unless we get taken over by billionaires we won't have that luxury.

chiefdave

I'm not disputing that Otis. I'm just saying any 15k capacity stadium, isn't big enough to accomodate the crowds that CCFC could potentially generate
Given the situation we're in at the moment a 15K ground that we can fill a few times a season might be a better option. We need to see the business plan for that compared to staying at the Ricoh.
Nothing to say we have to stay there forever and can't move or expand in the future if the demand is there.

Otis

Given the situation we're in at the moment a 15K ground that we can fill a few times a season might be a better option. We need to see the business plan for that compared to staying at the Ricoh.
Nothing to say we have to stay there forever and can't move or expand in the future if the demand is there.
Well yep, Dave, at the moment, but just one promotion and we would be in the Championship.

We can easily get 15,000 in League One against a few sides if we are the right end of the table.

In the Championship we would easily surpass 15,000 against Newcastle, Forest, Villa, Birmingham, Derby, Leeds, Sheffield Weds and Wolves for starters.

skybluetony176

They have very rich money men willing to make up the difference and then some from the lack of capacity. We don't.

skybluetony176

The scent of the possibility of success last season was enough to make 15k inadequate, heavens forbid if we had some real success.

Besides league rules is 10% available for away so now were down to 13.5k plus segregation call it 13k for home fans. Not exactly adequate let alone ambitious.

Astute

If they didn't have a very rich owner that put untold millions into the club would they have reached the Prem with an 11,500 capacity ground?

stupot07

20k would be about perfect. No point building with the view of one off games.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

The majority would though. Even then mid 20k is more than possible. With away allocation and segregation anything less than 25k is a stupid idea.

fernandopartridge

Home fans wise, we've had 2-3 games with a home support of more than 25k or more in 11 years at the Ricoh (Crewe, Gillingham - both cheap tickets and Chelsea), maybe that Middlesbrough cup match too.

Astute

The majority would though. Even then mid 20k is more than possible. With away allocation and segregation anything less than 25k is a stupid idea.
Not stupid. Just could be better. But would be much better than where we are now.

Sky Blue Kid

Home fans wise, we've had 2-3 games with a home support of more than 25k or more in 11 years at the Ricoh (Crewe, Gillingham - both cheap tickets and Chelsea), maybe that Middlesbrough cup match too.

# Match Tournament Date Attendance Ref

Coventry City 0–2 Chelsea FA Cup quarter-final 7 March 2009 31,407 [76]
Coventry City 0–3 Crewe Alexandra Football League Trophy area-final 5 February 2013 31,054 [77]
Coventry City 2–3 Leeds United Football League Championship 6 November 2010 28,184 [83]
Coventry City 0–5 West Bromwich Albion FA Cup Fifth Round 16 February 2008 28,163 [85]
Coventry City 1–1 Middlesbrough FA Cup Fourth Round 28 January 2006 28,120 [86]
Coventry City 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 26 April 2008 27,992 [87]
Coventry City 1–0 Gillingham Football League One 5 September 2014 27,306 [88]
Coventry City 0–1 Birmingham City Football League Championship 31 October 2006 27,212 [89]
Coventry City 2–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 2 January 2006 26,851 [90]
EDF Energy Cup Semi-Finals 28 March 2009 26,744
Coventry City 1–1 Leicester City Football League Championship 17 April 2006 26,672 [91]
Coventry City 1–1 Leeds United Football League Championship 18 March 2006 26,643 [92]
Coventry City 0–1 West Bromwich Albion Football League Championship 28 April 2007 26,343 [93]

Which is why I say we need at least 25k Capacity Stadium!

Astute

Where have we been for nearly all that time?

And there would certainly be a big boost if we got 2 quick promotions.

And just think of all them supporters that would have a new ground to cross off their list ;)

fernandopartridge

The table shows the top 20 attendances at the Ricoh Arena for sporting events, in order of attendance.

Coventry City 0–3 Crewe Alexandra Football League Trophy area-final 5 February 2013 31,054 [77]
Coventry City 2–3 Leeds United Football League Championship 6 November 2010 28,184 [83]
Coventry City 0–5 West Bromwich Albion FA Cup Fifth Round 16 February 2008 28,163 [85]
Coventry City 1–1 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 26 April 2008 27,992 [87]
Coventry City 0–1 Birmingham City Football League Championship 31 October 2006 27,212 [89]
Coventry City 2–0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Football League Championship 2 January 2006 26,851 [90]
Coventry City 1–1 Leicester City Football League Championship 17 April 2006 26,672 [91]
Coventry City 1–1 Leeds United Football League Championship 18 March 2006 26,643 [92]
Coventry City 0–1 West Bromwich Albion Football League Championship 28 April 2007 26,343 [93]

I even highlighted HOME SUPPORT in bold, your denseness really is unbelievable. The away end at the Ricoh holds 5800 I believe. Apart from Middlesbrough, Crewe and Gillingham, for all of those other games the away end was full, ergo. Take 5800 off the overall attendance figure to calculate how many home supporters turned up.

Sky Blue Kid

N

I even highlighted HOME SUPPORT in bold, your denseness really is unbelievable. The away end at the Ricoh holds 5800 I believe. Apart from Middlesbrough, Crewe and Gillingham, for all of those other games the away end was full, ergo. Take 5800 off the overall attendance figure to calculate how many home supporters turned up.

Yo! Your thickness, The home attendance for the MATCHES is what I look at, the same as everyone else! You can't take off nearly 6k for away support... not all of those teams brought that many fans.

Otis

Yeah, 11 years of dismal failure.

Success will boost attendances dramatically.

fernandopartridge

Yo! Your thickness, The home attendance for the MATCHES is what I look at, the same as everyone else! You can't take off nearly 6k for away support... not all of those teams brought that many fans.

Yes they did, I was at virtually all of them.

The reason why I discount away fans is that the club shouldn't be building a stadium for the benefit of 5-6k away fans. The attendances you quote actually help mask the point that the Ricoh is far too big for the club. It should be building a stadium on the basis of its general level of home support + 10% for away fans. Around 20-25k would be more than sufficient (though I think we actually agree on that)!

Sky Blue Kid

Yes they did, I was at virtually all of them.

The reason why I discount away fans is that the club shouldn't be building a stadium for the benefit of 5-6k away fans. The attendances you quote actually help mask the point that the Ricoh is far too big for the club. It should be building a stadium on the basis of its general level of home support + 10% for away fans. Around 20-25k would be more than sufficient (though I think we actually agree on that)!
Don't know about you, but I can't see where I've written 30-31k to allow for away fans... err no, I didn't!

After saying all that..... Minimum 25k is what I said isn't it? Or are you like certain other posters that read something that hasn't been written?

rupert_bear

When we were at Highfield Road the home support was a 19000 maximum, away 4050. we rarely got that 19000 but more offen than not the away was full. The question for BPA how do you segregate numbers like that at the Butts

Frankley

Which is why I say we need at least 25k Capacity Stadium!

So... in a time period in excess of a decade, during which the club has payed more than 260 competitive senior games at the Ricoh Arena, there's been an attendance of more than 25,000 on just 12 occasions. Those figures mean that for more than 95% of games a stadium with a capacity of less than 25,000 would have been fine.

Otis

So... in a time period in excess of a decade, during which the club has payed more than 260 competitive senior games at the Ricoh Arena, there's been an attendance of more than 25,000 on just 12 occasions. Those figures mean that for more than 95% of games a stadium with a capacity of less than 25,000 would have been fine.

Yep, fine for a team on a spiral of decline.

You have to think in terms of what the attendances would be if we were successful. Or are we just assuming we never will be and will just float endlessly around midtable on League One?

We have been in perpetual decline. We do well on the pitch you will see attendances rise dramatically.

It's quite simple really. Everyone seems to only be focusing on the here and now and our neverending failure and not on a prosperous future.

Users who are viewing this thread