Jon Sharp - BPA (1 Viewer)

skybluetony176

Yep.

Tottenham
Emirates
I think the new AFC Wimbledon one is close to houses, not as extreme as HR with them on the front door

Just a couple I can think of.

Plough lane stadium is surrounded by industrial and retail land. The nearest houses are to the front right hand corner of the current car park as you look at the stadium site from plough lane. Next to that it's probably the flats built on the site of Wimbledon's old ground. There's only really access into the stadium from two sides, but then the capacity isn't anywhere near 25k either.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
on another thread there was a you tube interview with Jon Sharp, seemed to be looking at something more modest from what he was saying

Frankley

Plough lane stadium is surrounded by industrial and retail land. The nearest houses are to the front right hand corner of the current car park as you look at the stadium site from plough lane. Next to that it's probably the flats built on the site of Wimbledon's old ground. There's only really access into the stadium from two sides, but then the capacity isn't anywhere near 25k either.

Here's an image of the proposed finished development at the AFC Wimbledon ground...

_88910367_11-3468e28002.jpg

The completed ground is to be pretty much surrounded by flats (602 of them according to the BBC).

skybluetony176

Here's an image of the proposed finished development at the AFC Wimbledon ground...

_88910367_11-3468e28002.jpg

The completed ground is to be pretty much surrounded by flats (602 of them according to the BBC).

The flats are pretty much the current car park plus some industrial land.

chickentikkamasala

Talking about the Telegraph... what the hell has happened to the website? it has turned into a huge picture book with tiny headlines under each photo :muted: Stopped reading the paper version cause it was :wtf:, now the website exceeds it!

Nick

Administrator
We really need to stop talking about whether or not a ground can be redeveloped at the BPA, it will never happen. Anyone who thinks SISU will throw money at such a project is living in cloud cuckoo land.
I think the opposite, call them out on it.

Didn't the trust also say it was worth exploring?

Nick

Administrator
Aren't the others close?

Astute

But the Wimbledon plans demonstrate that others believe football stadiums can co-exist with housing, don't they.
People in London will pay £250,000 to live in a broom cupboard. So reasonable priced properties will always sell. And is it them trying to build a stadium around flats that have been there many years?

shmmeee

Yes, in fact many coexist because of housing in that clubs have developed housing to help pay for the stadium. Sometimes in the vicinity sometimes not.

That's a different proposal though. You can't have neighbour complaints if the houses haven't been built.

Still don't see how you can get a ground on there. All the more reason I want to see the planning docs, pure curiosity as to how they'd do it.

Otis

That's a different proposal though. You can't have neighbour complaints if the houses haven't been built.

Still don't see how you can get a ground on there. All the more reason I want to see the planning docs, pure curiosity as to how they'd do it.
Smoke and mirrors, Shmmeee, smoke and mirrors.

Frankley

It's one development. Totally different to building a new 25k stadium on the site of a 3k stadium in the middle of an existing residential area.

It's not really that different, is it:

- Butts Park Arena is an existing stadium and the suggestion is a replacement stadium be built there - AFC Wimbledon's proposal is to take an existing stadium site and build a replacement stadium there.

- There's quite a lot of housing close to Butts Park and the area around Plough Lane is fairly densely populated too (there are rows of terraced houses close to both sites).

Interestingly, I would suggest the transport infrastructure around Butts Park is superior to that of Plough Lane.

Frankley

People in London will pay £250,000 to live in a broom cupboard. So reasonable priced properties will always sell. And is it them trying to build a stadium around flats that have been there many years?

The flats aren't there at the moment - I understand the idea is to build the stadium and the flats. Also, apparently the site is a difficult one - it's former marshland.

shmmeee

It's not really that different, is it:

- Butts Park Arena is an existing stadium and the suggestion is a replacement stadium be built there - AFC Wimbledon's proposal is to take an existing stadium site and build a replacement stadium there.

- There's quite a lot of housing close to Butts Park and the area around Plough Lane is fairly densely populated too (there are rows of terraced houses close to both sites).

Interestingly, I would suggest the transport infrastructure around Butts Park is superior to that of Plough Lane.

Not followed this, are we talking about where they play now or the greyhound stadium site in Plough Lane?

shmmeee

You said they don't build near houses, you got some examples and it's smoke and mirrors?

I think it's more the fact that we haven't seen anything concrete. Rather than us all sat around measuring Google Maps and assessing housing in London, it's be easier if we just had a planning doc.

Frankley

Not followed this, are we talking about where they play now or the greyhound stadium site in Plough Lane?

I was writing about Wimbledon Stadium (the greyhound stadium site), not where AFC Wimbledon play at the moment. I believe 'SkyBlueTony' was also writing about the greyhound stadium site.

Nick

Administrator
I think it's more the fact that we haven't seen anything concrete. Rather than us all sat around measuring Google Maps and assessing housing in London, it's be easier if we just had a planning doc.
That's why we would encourage it and call them out...

Frankley

That's why we would encourage it and call them out...

DISCLAIMER - I don't work for SISU, CCFC or anyone connected with them. I am not saying any detailed plans exist for BPA (because I have no idea if they do).

But... if it is accepted that the football club believes it is being frozen out of the city, can't people understand why they would want to keep any plans they have secret until the last possible minute?

Gint11

I tell you what though, if I was coming in as a new owner (assuming sisu agreed to sell) and was willing to plough money in I would find a location in cov and build a ground replicating a modern highfield rd. Get the fans on board straight away. Of course I know it's not that simple and would be lots of red tape and £££ but it's a nice idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

But the Wimbledon plans demonstrate that others believe football stadiums can co-exist with housing, don't they.

Don't you understand the residential development help pay for the stadium, there isn't much spare land at the Butts, it is either a smaller stadium and residential or a large one and no residential. I think it is obvious Cov will need to use much of the existing car park for residential. They'll need to incorporate c.100 residential units to raise £15M.
AFC Wimbledon's plans include the construction of 602 residential units
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37486594

Astute

The flats aren't there at the moment - I understand the idea is to build the stadium and the flats. Also, apparently the site is a difficult one - it's former marshland.
Exactly. They are not having to try and get planning permission to build right next to people's homes. They want to build a stadium and homes around it. They are desperate for homes in that location. So that will help the local council decide to pass the plans.

Nothing like trying to get permission at the Butts and build right next to already existing old people's homes. And it also doesn't have access problems like the Butts.

skybluetony176

DISCLAIMER - I don't work for SISU, CCFC or anyone connected with them. I am not saying any detailed plans exist for BPA (because I have no idea if they do).

But... if it is accepted that the football club believes it is being frozen out of the city, can't people understand why they would want to keep any plans they have secret until the last possible minute?

Not really. CCC don't have the final say in planning. Any appeal goes to Westminster so the locked out, political embargo talk is bollocks really. If they are serious they need to get the ball rolling. These means that they need to be doing the things that they've already done regarding developing Ryton. I.e. talking to the local authority and local community.

Limey

No, show us how it would work. Get fans behind it and create pressure on those who apparently resist it.

At the moment the whole concept is simply regarded as pie in the sky, sisu stalling tactic nonsense whilst they play out the JR and hope wasps fail.

Frankley

Exactly. They are not having to try and get planning permission to build right next to people's homes. They want to build a stadium and homes around it. They are desperate for homes in that location. So that will help the local council decide to pass the plans.

Nothing like trying to get permission at the Butts and build right next to already existing old people's homes. And it also doesn't have access problems like the Butts.

But there has been a stadium (of sorts) on the site since the 1880s. Nobody still living was around when there wasn't a stadium at the Butts. What you are presenting is similar to the argument used by those who move next door to an airport and then complain that there is an airport next to their home.

clint van damme

But there has been a stadium (of sorts) on the site since the 1880s. Nobody still living was around when there wasn't a stadium at the Butts. What you are presenting is similar to the argument used by those who move next door to an airport and then complain that there is an airport next to their home.
it's not really is it?
If you spend a chunk of your pension pot on a retirement flat next to a stadium that hosts events with crowds of a couple of thousand there's every chance you won't be happy if those crowds increases ten fold.

It's not going to happen anyway, sisu have done nothing in their time here to suggest they're prepared to stump up the investment needed for a project like this.

Frankley

Not really. CCC don't have the final say in planning. Any appeal goes to Westminster so the locked out, political embargo talk is bollocks really. If they are serious they need to get the ball rolling. These means that they need to be doing the things that they've already done regarding developing Ryton. I.e. talking to the local authority and local community.

If you really don't recognise how a local authority can deliberately act with malice towards a particular business, or how it can manipulate the planning system, you're very naive.

Frankley

it's not really is it?
If you spend a chunk of your pension pot on a retirement flat next to a stadium that hosts events with crowds of a couple of thousand there's every chance you won't be happy if those crowds increases ten fold.

It's not going to happen anyway, sisu have done nothing in their time here to suggest they're prepared to stump up the investment needed for a project like this.

Some of those living in the retirement village may not be happy, but it comes down to due diligence on their part doesn't it. As I said, there's been a sports stadium there since the 1880s.

skybluetony176

Makes no odds. Look into the issues that Mildenhall stadium has had over the last decade with new residents moving into the area. It's not only cost the owners (ironically a family by the name of Coventry. I kid you not) a hell of a lot of money to defend (over a million I was told) they lost and have had to make all sorts of concessions just to continue operating. Don't underestimate the power of the local resident.

Users who are viewing this thread