John Sillett (1 Viewer)

SuperFred

Bit of a random one but just remembering my favourite moment from Wembley - after the game when Sillett was on the big screen and everyone started cheering in unison, the look on his face when he realised it was for him was priceless then he started punching the air. The perfect end to the perfect day!

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Fantastic moment that was, watched it back on tv and they missed the cheering as they were talking over the top of the pictures in the studio, shame because it was one of the loudest cheers of the day!

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Yes , pretty much everyone does.

In all honesty , is there anyone more popular than him? Tommy Hutch perhaps?
Not being unkind to Jimmy Hill but he couple of black marks against him so for me John is tops.

Great that he was there on Monday. I am sure he enjoyed it.

Nick

Administrator
Imagine Michael Doyle at that age coming to watch us.

giphy.gif

Otis

Even my son cheered with huge enthusiasm at Sillets image on the big screen. He was born in 1988 !
He looks a lot, lot older to be honest

Maybe he had a very hard life, but it would also mean he couldn't have managed us in 1987, as he was born a year later.

Or are you talking about your son?

Grendel

The club should never have just disposed of Sillett. Despite his jocular image he did his homework on opponents and was well respected.

Fans were turning on him unfortunately but it was madness not to retain him in a director of football capacity and work with a new manager rather than appoint the hapless butcher and see the implosion.

Probably the lowest point on this forum was the abuse certain posters directed at him accusing him of being drunk, senile and a sisu puppet.

covcity4life

The club should never have just disposed of Sillett. Despite his jocular image he did his homework on opponents and was well respected.

Fans were turning on him unfortunately but it was madness not to retain him in a director of football capacity and work with a new manager rather than appoint the hapless butcher and see the implosion.

Probably the lowest point on this forum was the abuse certain posters directed at him accusing him of being drunk, senile and a sisu puppet.
wasnt nice seeing gould disrespected either but you did that iirc

Monners

It would be refreshing to keep the thread upbeat in regards to a club legend, rather than it descend into attention seeking nonsense (not directed at you CC4L).

Like I state earlier, it was brilliant to see Sillett at the game, and explain to may lad who the great man was.

NorthernWisdom

Watch the DVD of the cup final every year. Bore anyone else who's in the house at the time, but... I know I'm biased, but it's still one of the best cup finals in living memory. Lovely sunny day, entertaining football, no rolling over when fouled, and genuine joy as the underdogs win out.

Sillett (and Curtis, let's not forget!) gave us our day in the sun and even if you weren't there, even if you weren't born(!) just go and watch the game and see what our club was and can be.

stevefloyd

I have levelled many names at Butcher and hapless wasn't anywhere near as bad as the names I called him

Otis

When was this? I don't recall that at all.

chiefdave

My Dad used to go for lunch regularly at a pub Sillett used to go to. Said without fail he would be talking about the club and not particularly his time at the club, more what was happening at the current time.
The end of Sillett's reign was when I was at Uni and pre-internet days so my knowledge isn't great but even if you just look at the records from the era it starts to go downhill when he's got rid of. Seemed to be the end of it being a family club, for want of a better term, with everyone playing for each other.

Replacing Sillett with Butcher was one the biggest mistakes the club ever made. Changed our direction overnight and we never recovered to the level when he left.

NortonSkyBlue

John Sillett, Sky Blues legend but another manager who was hounded out?
John Sillett and George Curtis deserve a statue when we have a grounfd to place it.
There was a time when fans were rejoicing at the appointment of Butcher and Howe as Sillett had began to stink the place out. There was talk of Cyrille Regis and Peake taking the management roles and Sillett moving upstairs. Removing Sillett also forced Regis and Peake out of the club.
I can remember the first home game for Butcher 5-4 game v Forest in the league cup and the positive vibes that we had got a World Cup legend in our team, in our club. Well that didn't last long.
Jimmy Hill was the exception to the rule, get out whilst you are ahead!

M&B Stand

In Sir Alex Ferguson’s book he mentions Sillett in glowing terms.
Absolute legend, real football people get what a good manager he was.

Grendel

wasnt nice seeing gould disrespected either but you did that iirc

You do realise that idiot Gould sacked Sillett and the only reason we got him back was when the idiot himself was sacked and Don Mackay begged Sillett to return?

singers_pore

You do realise that idiot Gould sacked Sillett and the only reason we got him back was when the idiot himself was sacked and Don Mackay begged Sillett to return?

Doesn't sound right to me. Gould wasn't involved when Sillett was sacked. The decision was made by John Poynton.

Grendel

Doesn't sound right to me. Gould wasn't involved when Sillett was sacked. The decision was made by John Poynton.

He was sacked as coach / scout and re employed when Gould himself was sacked

covcity4life

They had their issues yes. But gould clearly loves the club. Also i remember his stint in 90s more. Just dont hate him

singers_pore

He was sacked as coach / scout and re employed when Gould himself was sacked

That is not enough to support your earlier assertion that "Gould sacked Sillett". It's well known that they didn't always get along but those decisions were made by Poynton.

Grendel

That is not enough to support your earlier assertion that "Gould sacked Sillett". It's well known that they didn't always get along but those decisions were made by Poynton.

As was the decision to re recruit him the minute Gould was shown the door?

Also didn’t Poynton take over at around the same time Sillett was sacked from Iain Jameson?

skybluetony176

Wasn’t Gould manager of QPR when Sillett was sacked? Not sure how he could have got the Coventry manager the sack while working for a different club. That’s before you even factor in that he was replaced with Butcher.

Grendel

Wasn’t Gould manager of QPR when Sillett was sacked? Not sure how he could have got the Coventry manager the sack while working for a different club. That’s before you even factor in that he was replaced with Butcher.

Tony you are all over the place.

Gould and Sillett didn’t get on - hill employed Sillett as a coach in the late 70’s. Sillett was a manager at Hereford and achieved promotion I think to what’s now the championship so he had pedigree.

Gould removed Sillett from the club. The only reason he came back and we had the success we had is that Gould got the boot after a series of defeats including a complete hammering at Leicester during which he ran on the pitch during play to try and confront the referee.

His assistant - Don Mackay - re-appointed Sillett and the rest is history.

ovduk78

I can remember the first home game for Butcher 5-4 game v Forest in the league cup and the positive vibes that we had got a World Cup legend in our team, in our
Butcher's first home game was a 1-0 loss to Liverpool. We might have sneaked a lucky 0-0 draw if he hadn't kicked the ball out of Oggy's hands straight to Beardsley who smashed it home. The Forest game was the week after

skybluetony176

Tony you are all over the place.

Gould and Sillett didn’t get on - hill employed Sillett as a coach in the late 70’s. Sillett was a manager at Hereford and achieved promotion I think to what’s now the championship so he had pedigree.

Gould removed Sillett from the club. The only reason he came back and we had the success we had is that Gould got the boot after a series of defeats including a complete hammering at Leicester during which he ran on the pitch during play to try and confront the referee.

His assistant - Don Mackay - re-appointed Sillett and the rest is history.

Already been explained. Do keep up.

Rusty Trombone

Good honest interview from a couple of years ago. It's pretty long, but worth watching. Mentions bribing the Wembley groundsman to let us practice before the Cup Final, and says he probably made a mistake in buying Speedie (also includes a couple of mistakes, but I blame Bob Hall for them).

Users who are viewing this thread