John Cleese (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

I've lived in London. Much of it is overcrowded and poor. I owned a one bed flat in a council block and was very lucky to have been able to get a foot on the ladder. For millions that's not possible in London. I don't really get why you don't understand those of us who see London for what it really is beyond Buckingham palace and the west end.

Spent 2 weeks in shepards Bush on a health and safety course, beggars everywhere, absolute tip and not a place I would be comfortable raising a family

stupot07

They're moving out because they can no longer afford to live in the area in which they were born. That includes second and third generation immigrants.

The chances of someone actually born in London and who has lived there all their life qualifying for a subsidised home within the M25 are now tiny.

[Source: Most of the housing documentaries on Channel 4 and Channel 5]

You could say the same about places like Devon and Cornwall, etc. That's down to the middle and upper classes buying second homes pushing prices up, rather than immigration.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

skybluetony176

You could say the same about places like Devon and Cornwall, etc. That's down to the middle and upper classes buying second homes pushing prices up, rather than immigration.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

In Wales too. I remember Welsh Nationalists burning down the second homes of wealthy English people on a regular basis in the 80’s and 90’s.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's the answer to Cleese's comments? Interesting to hear from the right wingers on here as globalised trade means a globalised workforce...
Sadiq Khan said that London's strength is it's diverse culture. A round about way of agreeing with Cleese's comments if you ask me.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I wonder why multicultural is better ? Perhaps its a myth.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm sure there would have been people 1000 years ago who were saying the same thing about Mercia, Anglia, Wessex etc all becoming 'England' with all these different cultures being smashed together into one.

And give me dull over fear of foreigners with their different cultures. Without all these different cultures virtually every music style like rock n roll, soul, R&B etc wouldn't exist and our diet would be pretty much just cabbage and onion. Even a generation ago it'd be meat and a veg boiled to within an inch of its life without seasoning - no Italian, Indian, Asian etc let alone all the subtle differences from individual counties.

We've got a far more interesting and diverse lifestlye now because of multiculturalism that previous generations could only dream of.

skybluetony176

I wonder why multicultural is better ? Perhaps its a myth.

Without it there would be no British culture. It’s all either been furnished on us by us being invaded, us invading others or trade, especially the Silk Road bringing us such things as tea, football ect ect. Stopping the clock on this process is the least culturally British thing anyone could do.

skybluetony176

The trouble with multi-cuturalism Is that it could end up that everywhere is virtually the same atmosphere = dull.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Have you ever traveled out of England to even Scotland or Wales before? If you have then surely you realise what a ridiculous statement you’ve just made.

skybluetony176

I'm sure there would have been people 1000 years ago who were saying the same thing about Mercia, Anglia, Wessex etc all becoming 'England' with all these different cultures being smashed together into one.

And give me dull over fear of foreigners with their different cultures. Without all these different cultures virtually every music style like rock n roll, soul, R&B etc wouldn't exist and our diet would be pretty much just cabbage and onion. Even a generation ago it'd be meat and a veg boiled to within an inch of its life without seasoning - no Italian, Indian, Asian etc let alone all the subtle differences from individual counties.

We've got a far more interesting and diverse lifestlye now because of multiculturalism that previous generations could only dream of.

It’s famously said that Britain was an empire built on tea. Now, I hate to be the party pooper for all the what has multiculturalism ever done for us mob but Yorkshire Tea is not cultivated in Yorkshire.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Without it there would be no British culture. It’s all either been furnished on us by us being invaded, us invading others or trade, especially the Silk Road bringing us such things as tea, football ect ect. Stopping the clock on this process is the least culturally British thing anyone could do.
Depends on how far you want to take "multiculturalism".

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Have you ever traveled out of England to even Scotland or Wales before? If you have then surely you realise what a ridiculous statement you’ve just made.
Which part of Wales are alluding to ?

Users who are viewing this thread