John Cleese (1 Viewer)

duffer

Why do you hate your own country so much?

Common or not common, it doesn't matter. An abundance of halal butcheriours, knife crime and acid attacks are not what you would call a forward thinking and progress society.

I don't care where you come from, but if the mother culture is lost from a place, it isn't that 'place' anymore. A lot of people who are not from the UK have moved there and have started taking liberties. How can you deny that?

London as well as many other parts of the UK have lost their way. People like you have contributed to that but criticising anyone who doesn't like this as 'racist'.

Pathetic.

I love my country mate, I had more than one go at joining up to fight for it. As did others in my family. So you can fuck right off with that assumption pal. I just don't want a country where hatred and fear of 'the other' become acceptable.

What's pathetic is this terror of people who aren't white or don't speak with the right accent, which is what this is really about.

All because you don't really see them as being 'British'. Do you really, honestly think that acid attacks and knife crime are down to people not being British? Are you kidding yourself that British people don't commit those kind of crimes?

And 'Mother culture', seriously? Again, anyone who thinks that London and most big cities haven't always had different cultures within them is an idiot without any grasp of history or geography.

Your solution is what, racial and cultural purity, a place where we all have to look and sound the same? I've heard that shite somewhere before; what you're propounding is a version of the Great Replacement theory. I'll let you google it...

Otis

The key word here is 'English' and the interpretation of what he means by that, as NW has already alluded to.

Personally I have no problem with what John Cleese has said and I think some trigger happy people have just jumped all over it.

In many ways I would say that Foleshill Road doesn't feel English, if we are using that same context.

I don't have any problem with immigrants coming in as long as they contribute and integrate.

duffer

No it's hypocritical considering he's moved somewhere where he's in the minority and is himself an immigrant.
May be he is racist ist, I don't know though I doubt it but he is a hypocrite.

I can help with this. If you're British and move to a different country for work purposes, usually whilst still retaining elements of your culture, you're an ex-pat.

If you're not British and do this, then you're an immigrant. Hope this helps. :)

SkyblueBazza

To be fair, he never said anything about colour
Neither did Clint...at least in the post ypu responded to.

Maybe thst is indicative of how we have all been affected (& become hyper-sensitive) by this ever-evolving language & terminology.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I'm not the one complaining, define it or stop being a bitch about losing something you can't even put your finger on. I love my country, hate that there are more and more backwards twats in it at the moment.

Then stop importing people from third world countries that can't assimilate? Or I suppose because they aren't white British, that's fine.

You asked me to define a 'How long is a piece of string' question, because essentially you conceded that you had lost the argument by saying 'It's a non issue really' after having previously tried to argue that nothing of the sort was going on.

The more denial from people like you, the more Tommy Robinsons there are.

Macca

I lived in London 1994 and went back couple of months ago. I loved it as much but definitely had zero English feel to me with the exception of the traditional tourist sights. I heard 2 "London" accents in 3 days. Didn't bother me as life changed but have to agree with JC observation. To be fair outside of zones 1 & 2 absolute hole

Liquid Gold

Then stop importing people from third world countries that can't assimilate? Or I suppose because they aren't white British, that's fine.

You asked me to define a 'How long is a piece of string' question, because essentially you conceded that you had lost the argument by saying 'It's a non issue really' after having previously tried to argue that nothing of the sort was going on.

The more denial from people like you, the more Tommy Robinsons there are.
So you can't answer. Nice one.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I love my country mate, I had more than one go at joining up to fight for it. As did others in my family. So you can fuck right off with that assumption pal. I just don't want a country where hatred and fear of 'the other' become acceptable.

What's pathetic is this terror of people who aren't white or don't speak with the right accent, which is what this is really about.

All because you don't really see them as being 'British'. Do you really, honestly think that acid attacks and knife crime are down to people not being British? Are you kidding yourself that British people don't commit those kind of crimes?

And 'Mother culture', seriously? Again, anyone who thinks that London and most big cities haven't always had different cultures within them is an idiot without any grasp of history or geography.

Your solution is what, racial and cultural purity, a place where we all have to look and sound the same? I've heard that shite somewhere before; what you're propounding is a version of the Great Replacement theory. I'll let you google it...

Do they not have some sort of basic intelligence tests for people signing up to the forces? Your whole statement was ridiculous.

No one has said there needs to be 'racial purity'. This is more manufactured bullshit and it's lazy.

As for mother culture, of course it is important, otherwise you just get a melting pot everywhere. What would then be the purpose of travelling? Why would anywhere have an identity?

Also, look up the stats on stabbings. The offenders are 73% non white-british. Why import more crime when we have enough of it here already? I suppose that's ok is it, because white British people commit crime too? How diverse of you.

You're absolutely clueless. I suppose you for a few social justice points though!

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I lived in London 1994 and went back couple of months ago. I loved it as much but definitely had zero English feel to me with the exception of the traditional tourist sights. I heard 2 "London" accents in 3 days. Didn't bother me as life changed but have to agree with JC observation. To be fair outside of zones 1 & 2 absolute hole

Racist!

Liquid Gold

I told you, Folesil Road.

Why don't you tell me why it's important to have knife crime and acid attacks as part of our culture? I'm waiting.
Never said it was. Why do you think because people think we can cope with migration they support knife crime (an incident that is mainly a problem in groups born in this country). Your head is fucked by all this far right media mate. It's a shame because you seem like a decent bloke but when your world is if something doesn't equal one thing it must equal another you're never going to get anywhere.

Let's play your moronic game about Foleshill road, if it is the definition of Britishness how is being eroded?

skybluetony176

You probably think blacks were the original inhabitants?

The indigenous people of the the Caribbean were wiped out by illness’ that were foreign to them so their immune systems couldn’t cope with them. Imported by white slave traders, plantation owners and the slaves they displaced there.

skybluetony176

No, why would I?

The Ancient Brits were a Celtic tribe but no-one is certain what they looked like and they didn't inhabit the whole of the British Isles.

(But you probably knew that already being the expert on ethnicity you clearly are?)

The original settlers of Europe and the U.K. mainland (the mainland U.K. was still connected to Europe at that point) arrived here following the receding ice floes at the end of the the ice age. So were therefore almost certainly black.

Reactions: vow

Liquid Gold

The indigenous people of the the Caribbean were wiped out by illness’ that were foreign to them so their immune systems couldn’t cope with them. Imported by white slave traders, plantation owners and the slaves they displaced there.
Fake news. Pirates fucked them all up.

skybluetony176

Why do you hate your own country so much?

Common or not common, it doesn't matter. An abundance of halal butcheriours, knife crime and acid attacks are not what you would call a forward thinking and progress society.

I don't care where you come from, but if the mother culture is lost from a place, it isn't that 'place' anymore. A lot of people who are not from the UK have moved there and have started taking liberties. How can you deny that?

London as well as many other parts of the UK have lost their way. People like you have contributed to that but criticising anyone who doesn't like this as 'racist'.

Pathetic.

To deny multiculturalism to this country is an insult to exactly what shaped this country.

NorthernWisdom

I'm not the one complaining, define it or stop being a bitch about losing something you can't even put your finger on. I love my country, hate that there are more and more backwards twats in it at the moment.
What's great about Britain is it's tolerance, acceptance, and open-mindedness. Loving Britain means fighting to keep that, and against those who want to destroy it. They are pathetic weasels.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Quoting a few tourist attractions doesn't change anything.

Having a few foreign voices isn't an issue. Having British people as a minority in their own capital is in my view.

So much of it is a dump and so much of it looks nothing like England. Go out and explore it. If you did, you wouldn't be able to come back on here and pretend as if it's all teacakes and polo.

But what happens with the children of the immigrants born in this country? They will be British, so the percentage of British will increase. Just as many other people in this country have their ancestry from elsewhere but are now English, myself included. In fact a lot of the people you'd consider to be quintessentially English were actually born abroad in places like India, South Africa etc. Joanna Lumley, Boris Johnson, Richard E Grant. Loads of English cricketers over the years have been 'foreigners'.

Loads of us have ancestry from the Romans/Germans/Vikings/Normans. Most of our language is derived from Latin and French, with bits of Scandinavian and German in there along with the odd bit of Greek. If you want to hear what would be 'proper English' the closest you'll get is Cornish, Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

EDIT: Btw most of London has always mainly been a dump, right back over the last 2000 years. Mostly made up of slums of workers making a living from a very small number of extremely wealthy people.

Last edited:

skybluetony176

But what happens with the children of the immigrants born in this country? They will be British, so the percentage of British will increase. Just as many other people in this country have their ancestry from elsewhere but are now English, myself included. In fact a lot of the people you'd consider to be quintessentially English were actually born abroad in places like India, South Africa etc. Joanna Lumley, Boris Johnson, Richard E Grant. Loads of English cricketers over the years have been 'foreigners'.

Loads of us have ancestry from the Romans/Germans/Vikings/Normans. Most of our language is derived from Latin and French, with bits of Scandinavian and German in there along with the odd bit of Greek. If you want to hear what would be 'proper English' the closest you'll get is Cornish, Welsh, Scottish and Irish.

Scandinavian especially. Most of our common words (adjectives, nouns and connectives) are even spelt the same, they sometimes pronounce them a little different as they tend to wrap their tongues around vowels but the commonality is one reason why Scandinavians tend to speak English and well too, through generations.

ccfctommy

Saw a video on Twitter of this kid in Northern Ireland called Mohammed. He is basically a refugee from Syria. But has been in NI for so long that he has developed a Jim McDonald accent! So the children of these immigrants become British surely?

skybluetony176

Saw a video on Twitter of this kid in Northern Ireland called Mohammed. He is basically a refugee from Syria. But has been in NI for so long that he has developed a Jim McDonald accent! So the children of these immigrants become British surely?

I remember going to Northern Ireland visiting family as a kid and a Chinese takeaway opened up in the town where my family are from . It was ran by a husband and wife, first generation who spoke broken English. Was over a couple of years ago and got a takeaway from the Chinese and it’s now run by their children who have full Northern Irish accents. Just no way you can say that they’re not British.

Marty

I'm not sure, I think it depends on how you're brought up. Being born in this country and always living here, but I feel I was given different values to those with 2 British parents. I wouldn't say just because you're born within a countries borders that makes British.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm not sure, I think it depends on how you're brought up. Being born in this country and always living here, but I feel I was given different values to those with 2 British parents. I wouldn't say just because you're born within a countries borders that makes British.

But what we now think of as British was once considered foreign. Just over time it becomes assimilated into society and becomes part of Britishness. I doubt even Victorians would think of us as 'British' with our taste in clothes, food, language, manners, vulgarity etc.

Westendlad

They're moving out because they can no longer afford to live in the area in which they were born. That includes second and third generation immigrants.

The chances of someone actually born in London and who has lived there all their life qualifying for a subsidised home within the M25 are now tiny.

[Source: Most of the housing documentaries on Channel 4 and Channel 5]
Then how come the newly arrived immigrants can afford to live there ?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Then how come the newly arrived immigrants can afford to live there ?
Good point. 15 in a two bed flat in New Cross. Or a point block in Hammersmith and Fulham.

Westendlad

That puzzles me greatly. You don't feel like London is in your country?

So much of the centre of London is so quintessentially English. The Tower of London, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, all the museums and galleries, Hamley's, Fortnum and Mason and Selfridge's, all the theatres, Buckingham Palace etc. etc.

We go to London a lot and travel all over London for my daughter's auditions and castings and it still all feels like London to me. Just with more foreign voices.

But in Coventry you also hear so many different languages nowadays.
Otis. The places in London you mention are lovely, travel a couple of miles in either direction and its a shite hole. Its depressing even driving around these dumps.

Sick Boy

I love London and am immensely proud that it’s the capital city of the country of where I was born. Those who don’t like it could perhaps adopt Sunderland or some other shithole as their de facto capital.

Westendlad

I love London and am immensely proud that it’s the capital city of the country of where I was born. Those who don’t like it could perhaps adopt Sunderland or some other shithole as their de facto capital.
I love Coventry but its a shithole now............

Otis

I love Coventry but its a shithole now............
Used to be, but it is now evolving and getting better. There seem to be new cafes and restaurants sprouting up everywhere now.

The Burges has a new bubble tea place and opposite that is going to be a Wok to Walk. Further down past the Cross there is going to be another Chinese place, Oodles and opposite that, in the old Metro pub is going to be another restaurant.

Work is due to start anytime soon on behind the Burges, where it will all be opened up and the river Sherbourne widened and there will be lots of Riverside cafes.

Also just been announced that big e-gaming cafe is moving into Cathedral Lanes and this is only the second in the country after London from its owners.

Another Chinese tea place is opening next to Holland and Barrett in Broadgate and anytime soon the opening of the link between Broadgate and Hertford St is due to open. The Wave water park is opening in about 3 weeks. That should bring loads of people into the city and they are working on a 5th platform at the train station.

There is loads going on and loads being built and I am always down town and I can see it constantly improving.

I certainly don't see it as a shithole now and there are so differing cuisines now to be found too, including Vietnamese, Korean, Lebanese, Japanese etc.

There's a new steak restaurant on Corporation St and another two next door to that are due to open soon (South American restaurant and a cafe/piano bar).

The City of Culture thing will help immensely too.

There seems to be so much stuff going on lately as well. Weekend before last it was a road race and food festival and comedy festival and a dining club at the cathedral too. There was a big queue to get into that.

I think it is a motofest this weekend.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's great about Britain is it's tolerance, acceptance, and open-mindedness. Loving Britain means fighting to keep that, and against those who want to destroy it. They are pathetic weasels.
Well said. The danger however is that tolerance can lead to losing ones sense of who you are where others actively take advantage of that to change are what we are they don't agree with it. We let it happen because to say no is deemed to be intolerant.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I've lived in London. Much of it is overcrowded and poor. I owned a one bed flat in a council block and was very lucky to have been able to get a foot on the ladder. For millions that's not possible in London. I don't really get why you don't understand those of us who see London for what it really is beyond Buckingham palace and the west end.

Users who are viewing this thread