Jodi (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSam01

One of the problems is you need to take tissue from elsewhere to remodel into a new ACL every time you do surgery - first port of call is usually from the knee cap as that is the most reliable, if that fails they usually use a hamstring tendon... No idea what they try after that but each site can only be used once

clint van damme

One of the problems is you need to take tissue from elsewhere to remodel into a new ACL every time you do surgery - first port of call is usually from the knee cap as that is the most reliable, if that fails they usually use a hamstring tendon... No idea what they try after that but each site can only be used once

Sounds like this non surgical approach you mentioned in your previous post may be worth investigating

Moff

The club need to support him in everyway they can over the next year. Not just medically but with his mental health as well.

I wish there were some way the club could let him know of the good wishes and support from us the fans.

Personally if the prognosis was good, and his recovery went well, I would love the club to offer him another year if he came back to fitness. If he cant the Club should help him find his feet outside the playing world. I sincerely hope the latter isn't the case.

Evo1883

Another difference between jodi and alot of other players mentioned is he's only 22... To have 3 ACL injuries at 22 is something you probably won't see too often in the professional game

Evo1883

The club need to support him in everyway they can over the next year. Not just medically but with his mental health as well.

I wish there were some way the club could let him know of the good wishes and support from us the fans.

Personally if the prognosis was good, and his recovery went well, I would love the club to offer him another year if he came back to fitness. If he cant the Club should help him find his feet outside the playing world. I sincerely hope the latter isn't the case.

I think emotion aside, it would be insane for the club to offer him a contract that wasn't pay as you play after he recovers and his contract runs out

Jodi has had his previous 2 injuries almost straight after recovery which doesn't bode well

Moff

I think emotion aside, it would be insane for the club to offer him a contract that wasn't pay as you play after he recovers and his contract runs out

I was thinking along those lines, or something aligned to fitness and appearances.

Evo1883

I was thinking along those lines, or something aligned to fitness and appearances.

It seems from the outside in, that jodi is much like Michael Owen in a sense that his body just isn't up to it for whatever reason

SkyBlueSam01

Sounds like this non surgical approach you mentioned in your previous post may be worth investigating

I would certainly try it! It would mean less time out than a full post-ACL surgical protocol (4-6 months compared to 9-12 months off the top of my head). Could prove to be a complete waste of time and would be risky but his surgical history makes it worth a try imo

Paxman II

This is a devastating blow for him and the club. Nursed back to what was looking like some good pre season form and then this.
Clearly he has a physical issue at this high level of intensity, and you only hope against all odds he can make it back again. But the likelyhood of getting a career out of football seems to be over...certainly at this level. What he has is youth, at what 22? It really depends of the extent of the damage I suspect. I wish him well.

higgs

Best of luck Jodi with your operation and recovery you were looking very sharp in pre season the repaired knee was doing good you can get back there again. Keep the chin up lad you have the talent to make it you are still young

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

SkyBlueSam01

It seems from the outside in, that jodi is much like Michael Owen in a sense that his body just isn't up to it for whatever reason

Can't remember but didn't Owen end up with all sorts of injuries?
Its a topic with a lot of grey area and not as many solid answers as we would like in the sports medicine field... but here are a few thoughts presented in a pretty scatty manner:

Unfortunately there isn't too much concrete evidence on ACL injuries to pinpoint exactly why we are getting so many. I believe the club had an internal investigation into it last season but I don't know what the conclusion was.

Some athletes are certainly more predisposed to ACL injuries due to things like having weak hamstrings compared to their quads etc. but that is something that would have been rectified by the medical team with Jodi considering his history... Other things such as the wideness of your hips may play a part 🍑, but again there isn't too much evidence about it and this can't be trained out anyway.

HOWEVER

I would be optimistic for Jodi and his career... depending on the collateral damage sustained to the other structures in his knees. There are various recent cases of real top level athletes (I'm talking Premier League wingers and fly halves in Rugby Union) who have suffered fully ruptured ACLs but elected to have conservative treatment (essentially just physio and strength and conditioning) rather than surgery to fix the ACL, and basically gone on to have long successful careers without the ligament really being there at all! It's an approach that is gaining some traction atm, and although (as per) there isn't much, if any, evidence about it in elite athletes, it's a route I would expect Jodi and the people around him to really think about, especially considering the lack of success he has had going the surgical route.

Having said that the article says he will be operated on by the best surgeon in Europe... So maybe there have been issues with previous operations that he and the club are aware of and believe they can do better. Even if they do go for surgery to fix his ACL again, and it goes AGAIN, he does have options beyond surgery!

Basically, his future career depends more on the general state of his knees (cartilage, bone and other ligaments etc.) rather than the fact he keeps doing his ACLs...

Grendel

Jodi has had his previous 2 injuries almost straight after recovery which doesn't bode well

It would be. The likes of Emerson and Oakey were great players. I saw Oakey and his career ending day. I’m afraid it’s the way it goes and it is just unlucky

Skyblueweeman

Absolutely devastated for him. What an absolute shocking thing to come back from TWO ACLs and be playing well and then for it to happen again. I was so sure he would make an big impact for us this season.

Genuinely gutted for the lad. As if 2020 could take a bigger shit on your doorstep.

As Moff said, hopefully (and I'm sure they will) the club will stick by him especially from the mental side of things. He deserves all the support we can give him and if he's career is over (fingers crossed its not), we can give him some sort of role within the club.

Keep your chin up Jodi if you read this.

SkyBlueSam01

Owen played at a top level from an early age to be fair and had a few good years before he became really injury ravaged.

Definitely a difference between someone like that and a player who has one specific problem like Jodi. Don't recall him having other injury problems so IF someone can sort his ACLs out for him he stands a good chance!

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Awful news poor kid. In terms of players who have come back from 3+ ACLs, the only one I can think of is Matthew Bates the ex Middlesbrough defender. Think he had about 5 in total but still managed to have a career and play on as recently as 2018 So hopefully there is light at the end of the tunnel for Jodi

bringbackrattles

Danny Thomas suffered a career ending knee injury and had to pack in at just 26.
Feel for Jodi Jones he obviously will be devastated no doubt.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

If he does come back which I hope he does I think he will have to alter his game somehow in a way which leaves him a better chance of not getting a career ending injury.
Whether this is possible I know not but still it would be worth a shot

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Could depend on what league we’re in next season. If the championship we can give him pay as you play. In league one with the salary cap - we can’t possibly renew his contract.

better days

To give a bit of background Jodi got clattered in a tackle on Friday, not malicious, just a slip as the opponent went in
The medical team checked him out & he had a full range of movement and was able to do a full squat and hop on the leg (his right)
And jog without much pain or discomfort
He was sent home with ibruprofen and told to ice the knee
It improved overnight and the medics thoroughly checked everything again on Saturday then again on Monday
Initial thoughts were that it was a knock that would maybe mean a few missed training sessions
But he went for a scan as a precaution
It was only then that the ACL damage was discovered
It's heartbreaking for the lad and he will need a lot of support
Andy Williams will do the op - he did his last one on his left knee
He's probably the best knee surgeon in the UK
If anyone can come back from this it's JJ

Alkhen

The first 2 were the same knee. Did once then broke down. This is one is in the other knee. If he is lucky he could be alright. He will know what it takes to get through rehabilitation. Some say a repaired ACL can be stronger, not sure if this is the case.

He has a lot of work ahead of him. So sad for him

Grappa

Poor lad.

I was reading the other day about AS Roma, 20 ACLs in 6 seasons between 16 players. The average in Serie A is 0.4 per season so you'd expect 2.4 ACLs over the course of 6 seasons.

There was a suspicion that it was the training ground grass but the whole complex was redone last year and the injuries continue.

5 different managers in that time so unlikely that the training regime is to blame.

Maybe it's all just bad luck?

False9

Terrible news.

Sounds like he's taken this very badly so hopefully he gets support from the club.

Marty

So disappointed for him, I was unsure if the club we correct to offer him a contract but he looked very good in pre-season, and I was excited to see what he could do, unfortunately his body just doesn't seem cut out for professional football. Needs to spend the next year creating a life for himself outside of playing pro football in case hes unable to find another club, luckily for him hes earnt good money the past few years so should be fairly secure financially.

BornSlippySkyBlue

They looked after Busst pretty well AFAIK. He’s had a career in football at least.

Londonccfcfan

Just seen this...still can't comprehend it.
Heart gos out to him and his close family who will be more devastated than us.

The lad had the world at his feet was hands down the best player in league 2 when it happened. Was actually there at Stevenage when the first one happened.

As alot have already said mentally he will need alot of support.

Will always be a genuinely loved sky blue favourite.

Users who are viewing this thread