Jodi Jones (2 Viewers)

kg82

Ok let’s make it more evidence based then shall we?

The championship - the level we play at
JJ starts - 0
Total minutes played - 32

The management clearly believe him to be below the level required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thought he looked sharp yesterday when he came on. Couple of nice touches. Sold their defender and won a free kick.
Sure, not enough to give him a starting place. But, after 3 years out, getting minutes in the division above the one he last played in and not looking entirely out of his depth, I’m pleased for him. Also, don’t think we can afford to send him on loan!

long way home

The staff will have a plan for him and will be watching him closely every week in training. Every week he trains and every minute he gets on the pitch will give them and him more confidence about where he is and when he can be pushed on. We know he is a good player and at this stage I think the staff have managed him well. He will start to get more minutes and would think he will be here after Jan building up time on the pitch. It's a process for him and I'm sure the longer he stays fit he will get his chances to shine which is only going to be good for us.

I'd keep him and follow the process as I'm sure he will be worth it.

Last edited:

CovBrummie94

I don’t think he will cut it in the Championship but I’d rather see him on the pitch than Shipley. Happy to keep him around until the end of the season if we don’t bring in an upgrade in Jan. After that a few seasons in League 1/2 are needed to get back to his best. It’s been a long time out and it will take a long time for him to fully recover.

slowpoke

I don’t think he will cut it in the Championship but I’d rather see him on the pitch than Shipley. Happy to keep him around until the end of the season if we don’t bring in an upgrade in Jan. After that a few seasons in League 1/2 are needed to get back to his best. It’s been a long time out and it will take a long time for him to fully recover.

He has recovered.

Grendel

We need him here. He's on the cusp of being picked as a starter. O'Hare is going to need a rest.

There is zero chance of Jones fulfilling the O Hare role.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

If we start playing the box away a bit more I think I'd like to see him next to O'Hare instead of Allen, who works hard but isn't likely to really set the game alight. JJ and O'Hare could be a real handful together. It'd be far more suitable for him than WB anyway.

I'm not certain if he has what it takes at this level, but I'd like to see him get a decent chance to find out.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Ok let’s make it more evidence based then shall we?

The championship - the level we play at
JJ starts - 0
Total minutes played - 32

The management clearly believe him to be below the level required

Or believe he isnt good enough to start yet as he has spent a long time out if the team, but clearly they see something as he is often on the bench

duffer

If he adds to our match day squad, even off the bench, then I don't think it makes sense to put him out on loan. If he's nowhere near the squad, then it's a different story.

As with most things, I think MR has managed it well. In the words of that old cliché, it could be that come Jan/Feb it'll be like making a new signing. :)

I think the one thing that's without doubt is that we'll get full commitment from JJ; I don't think there are many questions about the bloke's character. I hope for him and us, it all works out.

DannyThomas_1981

If we start playing the box away a bit more I think I'd like to see him next to O'Hare instead of Allen, who works hard but isn't likely to really set the game alight. JJ and O'Hare could be a real handful together. It'd be far more suitable for him than WB anyway.

I'm not certain if he has what it takes at this level, but I'd like to see him get a decent chance to find out.
That would certainly be an interesting set up in certain game situations. Would be an absolute nightmare for defences.

One thing I would say is that JJ has even higher potential to be a game changer in terms of goal threat/taking on the last man - O’Hare is of course essential to the way we play. They offer different qualities in the10 role.

One thing in games recently; O’Hare has been the dominant player on the pitch for the first 20-39 minutes. Slightly less influential after that. We might need to tweak our tactics mid game to counter whatever the oppo is doing to shut down O’Hare.

DannyThomas_1981

Don’t get the obsession with some wanting JJ to go on loan. Robins clearly thinks he’s class by having him in the squad from day 1 this season but wants to bring him back over the course of the season. Loaning out one of our most skillful and technical players to be kicked by L2 thug defenders on heavy pitches over the winter is madness.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Don’t get the obsession with some wanting JJ to go on loan. Robins clearly thinks he’s class by having him in the squad from day 1 this season but wants to bring him back over the course of the season. Loaning out one of our most skillful and technical players to be kicked by L2 thug defenders on heavy pitches over the winter is madness.
For once I agree with you

slowpoke

So what do you say about Liam Kelly then ? Got a serious knee injury at the back end of last season and wasn’t back until last month and in my opinion is just getting back to his normal self. Let’s see how Jones does when he gets longer game time

steve101

I imagine he is not just working on strength, fitness and confidence on the training field. He will be adapting his game from a fast and tricky winger, prior to his injury, to an attacking midfielder. Whenever he comes on he keeps the ball well, very rarely gives the ball away. I do wonder psychologically whether him being in the match squad boosts the team. He was on the pitch for the 2-goal comeback v Forest and again was on the pitch for the finale v Bournemouth. He does give us something different than our other options. There will be some doubt about his ability to make it in the championship until he can get more minutes on the pitch.

clint van damme

yeah, and given his injury history I think the club might want him where are own medical team can keep an eye on him.
Would like his next cameo to be a bit longer, gives us a better indication of where he's at.

lord_garrincha

Lucky he didn't play last Tuesday then!

Paxman II

I would say Shipley is a better candidate for a loan than Jones
There is zero chance of Jones fulfilling the O Hare role.

Not the O'Hare role in the same way, but as a number 10 certainly. O'Hare lacks a goal threat, Jones would supply that threat behind Godden and Gykores. Is he good enough? Yes, and in a good team (like we have) he could flourish there. Time will tell but I could see it happening. It's a long season and he is hunger to be back.

Grendel

Not the O'Hare role in the same way, but as a number 10 certainly. O'Hare lacks a goal threat, Jones would supply that threat behind Godden and Gykores. Is he good enough? Yes, and in a good team (like we have) he could flourish there. Time will tell but I could see it happening. It's a long season and he is hunger to be back.

Well again you said hillsner could fulfil the role

JAM See

I don't know enough about football at Championship level to comment on whether he's good enough.

However, from what I hear about his appetite in playing for the U23s in order to get game time, I wish him all the best.

I've seen him a couple of times for the U23s and he looked hungry and up for it.

Seems a credit as a young man.

fatso

I just wonder if JJ would of scored more goals, and contributed more assists than O'hare, if he'd of had the same number of starts?

As I say ..... just a thought 🙄

steve101

It's great that this debate is being had given his rotten luck with injuries. A year ago if he could envisaged this being discussed I am sure he would have been delighted.

Users who are viewing this thread