Jodi Jones (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

His mentality is quite remarkable.

Even if it's not with us I really hope he goes on to have a great career. Few deserve it more.

Brian Clough kept Steve Stone on after 3 breaks because of the mental strength he showed during his set backs and he went on to have a great career.

Nice to see him back training, but personally I think we should cut our losses with him, I'm guessing he'll likely receive a new deal though which needs to be weighted heavily in the clubs favour.

I'd imagine it will be, makes sense.

KenilworthSkyBlue

Brian Clough kept Steve Stone on after 3 breaks because of the mental strength he showed during his set backs and he went on to have a great career.

I don't particularly mind if we retain him or not as I think for me it's gotten to the point where it's whatever's in Jodi's best interests that matters. More than happy to see him stay as it's likely he'll be on fairly minimal wages and would be relatively low risk, but given how long he's had out of the game, he needs game time to kick on with his career. If Robins can't offer him that then there's not much sense in him staying.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

I think you're right on all counts
The club has an anti gravity treadmill now so I believe Jones has been using that for a while
Robins and his team have invested a lot in his recovery
We have a far better medical team than we had in the past and the club used one of the best knee surgeons in the world for the op
Things are looking good.
The lad deserves a change of luck.
He's certainly put the work in to give himself and the club the best chance of a positive outcome

Yes believe it was Andy Williams

For others context, same surgeon who did Van Dijk's surgery and most Premier League ACL cases

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Did they have 3 ACL’s ?

For me his body isnt up for the job of a pro footballer he was ok in league 2 not proven in league 1 or the champ...unless it’s pay as you play and a small basic maybe then for me it’s time to call it a day we need all hands on deck with the budget we can’t be paying people wages who don’t play
He was proven in League 1 and was a good player when he played in League 1 hence why we permanently signed him after the loan in the first place

Frostie

I think some people forget or perhaps don't realise, but his move to Leeds was all but agreed before the injuries - this wasn't the usual paper talk or agent links player to bigger club etc.

So whilst yes he'd not proved it at Championship level the signs of his significant potential were obvious.

I think he'll get a new deal if he can get back to an appropriate level of fitness. His wage will be tiny for the level we're at now but can be incentivised for performance related bonuses etc. so that it's a win win all round.

Can you imagine the reaction on here a social media if we release him having helped him recuperate & then he ends up absolutely smashing it elsewhere?

cc84cov

I think some people forget or perhaps don't realise, but his move to Leeds was all but agreed before the injuries - this wasn't the usual paper talk or agent links player to bigger club etc.

So whilst yes he'd not proved it at Championship level the signs of his significant potential were obvious.

I think he'll get a new deal if he can get back to an appropriate level of fitness. His wage will be tiny for the level we're at now but can be incentivised for performance related bonuses etc. so that it's a win win all round.

Can you imagine the reaction on here a social media if we release him having helped him recuperate & then he ends up absolutely smashing it elsewhere?
How do you know it was 100% accurate and not paper talk ?

steve101

add the fact he hasn't improved at all over the last 3 years. too. Perhaps worth a conservative deal if we get relegated.
Players can improve in other ways from long term injuries. Listening to Matty James is a good example - appreciating every training session and every minute on the pitch. For Jodi it would have been different if he was a tackler to start with. It is not as if he is a lightweight on the ball. He is pretty strong and knows how to hand off a defender, as one of his pre-season goals demonstrated. I reckon there would be enough fans willing to club together to fund a 12 month contract if needed!

ccfc92

You'd hope that would be the case.

We signed him on a 4 year deal didn't we? I know we have supported him, as we should tbf, but he does owe us as a club something back for the investment in him.

Not sure what to suggest if he has a 4th tear though.

clint van damme

You'd hope that would be the case.

We signed him on a 4 year deal didn't we? I know we have supported him, as we should tbf, but he does owe us as a club something back for the investment in him.

Not sure what to suggest if he has a 4th tear though.

I'd imagine he'd have to seriously start thinking about calling it a day.
Hopefully doesn't come to that.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Really pleased for Jodi Jones, did wonder if it was a bit risky going out immediately on to snowy / icy ground though.

Agree. Seemed like an odd choice of when to let him try outdoors. Mind you heavy ground when its thawed won't be without its risks.

Speedies_Chips

I don't particularly mind if we retain him or not as I think for me it's gotten to the point where it's whatever's in Jodi's best interests that matters. More than happy to see him stay as it's likely he'll be on fairly minimal wages and would be relatively low risk, but given how long he's had out of the game, he needs game time to kick on with his career. If Robins can't offer him that then there's not much sense in him staying.
Good post (apart from 'gotten') :)

Great_Expectations

Not as big a Jones fan as others, but I don’t see why we wouldn’t sign him.

For me he has it all to prove - he had a great season in L2 and was a real stand out. However, the season before in L1 wasn’t overly inspiring, but equally he was stepping up a division in only his third season as a pro in a poor team. Either way, the potential is there for all to see as is his commitment.

Footballers don’t have an obligation to clubs - their careers are short and like many of us money will be a driving factor in their decisions - however you get the sense Jones will want to repay the support we’ve provided. And for us, it’s a low cost, potentially very high reward gamble.

It would be awesome to see him terrorising defences for us and a real feel good story for all involved.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Not as big a Jones fan as others, but I don’t see why we wouldn’t sign him.

For me he has it all to prove - he had a great season in L2 and was a real stand out. However, the season before in L1 wasn’t overly inspiring, but equally he was stepping up a division in only his third season as a pro in a poor team. Either way, the potential is there for all to see as is his commitment.

Footballers don’t have an obligation to clubs - their careers are short and like many of us money will be a driving factor in their decisions - however you get the sense Jones will want to repay the support we’ve provided. And for us, it’s a low cost, potentially very high reward gamble.

It would be awesome to see him terrorising defences for us and a real feel good story for all involved.

Similarly clubs don't have obligations to players. Just because he's been injured for three years and unable to prove his worth doesn't mean the club are duty bound to offer him a new deal just so he can have that opportunity.

On a personal note I would like to see what he can do but I think his lengthy absence has lead to another case of a player getting better in the eyes of fans the longer he doesn't play. I would offer him a pay-as-you-play deal for the year with the promise of upgrading it to a proper contract if he makes a certain number of appearances.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Why on earth would he accept that?

Didn't say he had to. I said that's what I'd offer him. If someone else was willing to take the risk and offered him a permanent deal and he decided to take that up fair play to him.

Given he's been out for three years injured most players would be amazed at being offered a new deal at all.

Frostie

Didn't say he had to. I said that's what I'd offer him. If someone else was willing to take the risk and offered him a permanent deal and he decided to take that up fair play to him.

Given he's been out for three years injured most players would be amazed at being offered a new deal at all.

No young player would ever accept anything like that. He's on very little money with us anyway & given his potential he'd have plenty of lower league clubs willing to take a chance if we don't.

Brighton Sky Blue

A one year contract on L1 wages with extension in the club’s favour. He’d take it and if he comes good we’re covered.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

No young player would ever accept anything like that. He's on very little money with us anyway & given his potential he'd have plenty of lower league clubs willing to take a chance if we don't.

That's his prerogative. We renewed his contract this year and he's been injured for the whole of it. So subsequently that's one player less we can have on the wage bill who could've be on the pitch making a difference.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

A one year contract on L1 wages with extension in the club’s favour. He’d take it and if he comes good we’re covered.

And if he breaks down again we've got one less wage available for a player who could be on the pitch.

That's the argument that was used for the extension last year and look how it's turned out.

That solution is all favouring Jodi and the club taking all the risk.

shmmeee

And if he breaks down again we've got one less wage available for a player who could be on the pitch.

That's the argument that was used for the extension last year and look how it's turned out.

Who are we going to get in for those wages?

Brighton Sky Blue

There is little risk, it’s a cheap contract that wouldn’t stop us pursuing players at our level. If we go down, less sure.

Users who are viewing this thread