Jimmy's Statue (1 Viewer)

letsallsingtogether

Then hopefully our fans can accept that League 1 is going to be as good as it gets and look forward to their football club playing second fiddle to a London rugby club
But they are different sports I could understand that stance if they both played football..
Why not spend some of that money on the squad first then you can think of a new stadium when we have reached the dizzy heights.
At the moment we would probably loose another 50% of our fan base if we move they wont make any money then no matter bow many carboots they hold.

NorthernWisdom

I must admit, I would think twice about lumping another £30-40m debt onto CCFC just because Wasps own ACL.

It seems a lot of people have a vested interest in arguing for a new stadium, just to argue with italia..... ;)

Well, tbh I wish we'd move away from the financial arguments - they're the domain of SISU. I would however look at what's best for the integrity of the football club as a football club, and to my mind that's certainly not having its brand washed over and becoming subservient to something completey different. The club's been bad enough at looking after *that* as it is over recent years, but a comedy cartoon elephant badge at least bears some kind of link to the past and what it is.

I'd have never moved from HR. Once we did move we criminally undervalued the past and tried to escape it... now we've little chance of maintaining that link where we are, so moving on is to my mind the best option for both city and club. Unfortunately, as we're owned by SISU, the chances of holding a rational argument and reducing it back to what a football club should actually be, rather than what it is, is a bit hard to conduct.

shmmeee

Well, tbh I wish we'd move away from the financial arguments - they're the domain of SISU. I would however look at what's best for the integrity of the football club as a football club, and to my mind that's certainly not having its brand washed over and becoming subservient to something completey different. The club's been bad enough at looking after *that* as it is over recent years, but a comedy cartoon elephant badge at least bears some kind of link to the past and what it is.

I'd have never moved from HR. Once we did move we criminally undervalued the past and tried to escape it... now we've little chance of maintaining that link where we are, so moving on is to my mind the best option for both city and club. Unfortunately, as we're owned by SISU, the chances of holding a rational argument and reducing it back to what a football club should actually be, rather than what it is, is a bit hard to conduct.

Moving from HR is easy to knock in hindsight, but I doubt many would've been saying that if we'd stayed in the Prem (which was a reasonable assumption). The fact is the relegation and the collapse of ITV Digital fucked us as much as anything else. It was just bad luck (and bad management once we went down of course).

But as you say, we are where we are. Sisu have already dropped £60m (or whatever the latest figure is) of debt onto the club and only given us a relegation to see for it. I honestly don't see them ever recovering their money so really we shouldn't care too much about the figures I guess. Either Sisu are going to stick around, we'll get sold with a large portion of the debt written off, or we go bust. When you look at it like that, we may as well spend their money now on a stadium (as long as it doesn't end in another farce like the Ricoh ownership).

A new stadium is actually a great tool to reengage fans as well, get us onboard with the design, etc. Shame that seems to have been quietly dropped.

Got to agree with LAST a bit as well, whatever the stadium it'll only work if there's a decent football team playing in it. If Sisu leave us with a new ground and the current squad, I'm not sure anyone could claim we're better off than we were 7 years ago.

italiahorse

Then hopefully our fans can accept that League 1 is going to be as good as it gets and look forward to their football club playing second fiddle to a London rugby club

You really need to pull out this downer.
The stadium looks more like ours than Wasps. Blue seats, blue exterior and the brick walls and garden.

However if Wasps call Sisu's bluff that will change. Just like CCC called it.

Sisu need to stop mucking everyone around. At the very least they should be able to tell us how the new stadium will be financed and what incomes we will be getting.. Other than location what other information can't they tell us and why ?

italiahorse

Forget the finances ?
Surely it's no risk to Sisu if it's left in the club. We could be left with £40M extra debt and no way of paying it back.

italiahorse

Got to agree with LAST a bit as well, whatever the stadium it'll only work if there's a decent football team playing in it. If Sisu leave us with a new ground and the current squad, I'm not sure anyone could claim we're better off than we were 7 years ago.

We could end up like Arsenal ? ;)

olderskyblue

Agree with the principle NW, And as nice as it would be to have a stadium that was truly ours, to brand how we wanted, (In Coventry preferably) it would still leave the club with an even more enormous debt, and I doubt that 365 use is really viable, and also how much CCFC would actually gain from that. Be good to actually see some believable numbers to base judgement on, although I guess that would just spawn the inevitable disagreements on here... :)

I don't think moving in itself was the problem, providing CCFC were able to fund the Ricoh themselves. If they had, then maybe, just maybe, a lot of this crap would have been avoided.

History shows us we should have stayed put.

NorthernWisdom

I don't think moving in itself was the problem, providing CCFC were able to fund the Ricoh themselves. If they had, then maybe, just maybe, a lot of this crap would have been avoided.

History shows us we should have stayed put.

What Highfield Road did have was a strong 'brand' of its own if harnessed right - 60s games, first televised screening of an away game, first prefab stand... first all-seater in England! I struggle to accept the general consensus that it wasn't able to expand. The area's hardly renowned for pricey houses ;) sure if the will was there, things could have been done...

But, there we are. Can't go back, even if we wanted to. We're not alone in losing that branding either - corporate naming sponsorship dilutes that even more. The main handicap with us building our own isn't the building in itself - if Scunthorpe and Bristol Rovers can do it (although the latter haven't yet, of course!) then so can we. They did of course have grounds to sell, although Rovers built back after being homeless and playing in Bath of course... and Bristol already had Ashton Gate, so the 'only need one ground in a city' doesn't apply (sure, Bristol's bigger, but Cardiff's not much bigger than us and has a rather obvious pair of stadiums).

Still think if they were truly genuine about it, the way forward's in partnership with the University of Warwick. If Birmingham Uni can build an Olympic sized swimming pool, after all...

Oh and as for the Ricoh, the problem was as the budget got cut it lost all its USPs and identifiers. It became generic flat-pack. That's a curse that befalls many, many English grounds. If only we could do something like this:

Stade_Oc%C3%A9ane_nuit.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

What Highfield Road did have was a strong 'brand' of its own if harnessed right - 60s games, first televised screening of an away game, first prefab stand... first all-seater in England! I struggle to accept the general consensus that it wasn't able to expand. The area's hardly renowned for pricey houses ;) sure if the will was there, things could have been done...

But, there we are. Can't go back, even if we wanted to. We're not alone in losing that branding either - corporate naming sponsorship dilutes that even more. The main handicap with us building our own isn't the building in itself - if Scunthorpe and Bristol Rovers can do it (although the latter haven't yet, of course!) then so can we. They did of course have grounds to sell, although Rovers built back after being homeless and playing in Bath of course... and Bristol already had Ashton Gate, so the 'only need one ground in a city' doesn't apply (sure, Bristol's bigger, but Cardiff's not much bigger than us and has a rather obvious pair of stadiums).

Still think if they were truly genuine about it, the way forward's in partnership with the University of Warwick. If Birmingham Uni can build an Olympic sized swimming pool, after all...

Oh and as for the Ricoh, the problem was as the budget got cut it lost all its USPs and identifiers. It became generic flat-pack. That's a curse that befalls many, many English grounds. If only we could do something like this:

Looks nice but couldn't be added to so wouldn't allow for growth so would either start off to big or end up (hopefully) to small. But it does look a lot better than The Ricoh.

shy_tall_knight

Partnership with Warwick Uni why would a top university want to get involved with coventry city - the clue is in thier name Warwick University which is in Coventry. WASPS will never take the name of Coventry either PS I live in Coventry but just being realistic

letsallsingtogether

Would look better in Black and Orange though:whistle:

Users who are viewing this thread