'Jimmy's Hill' protests having the desired effect! (2 Viewers)

skybluebeduff

Brilliany day with my son on the hill, can't believe this thread has had over 5000+ views, yet most were slagging us off for attending it, hypocrites!!!

Astute

Write-up in the Guardian - apols if already posted: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/sep/08/coventry-city-colchester-league-one

Coventry off bottom after beating Colchester but fans anger continues

In normal times a big city football club fielding an attractive, free-scoring team featuring a number of young, locally-born players would not expect to be watched by the lowest home crowd in the club's 94 years in the Football League.

But these are anything but normal times for Coventry City. This was the third match the Sky Blues have, ludicrously, hosted 30 miles down the road at Northampton Town, and outstandingly well though they are playing, the boycott of the arrangement by the club's supporters is holding very firm.

For the record, and a sorry record it is, the crowd for the first game, against Bristol City, was 2,204, the second, against Preston, 2,068. The attendance this time round was 1,789, "beating" the 2,059 who came to Highfield Road to watch City draw 1-1 with Crystal Palace in Division Three (South). "Thank you for your continued support", said the man on the Tannoy, with rather less irony than the cheer that greeted his announcement.

Up on the hill behind the north stand – nicknamed Jimmy's Hill for the occasion, in affectionate tribute to City's former chairman whose statue stands outside the club's former home, the Ricoh Arena – a group of perhaps 60 City fans looked on.

Most were members of The Not One Penny More group, whose aim is to force Sisu, the company which despite taking the club into administration, League One and Northampton, somehow remains in control of its destiny, to give up by starving it of income.

It may be a long job. The club's chief executive, Tim Fisher, recently told the local paper Sisu would absorb any losses while the club plays in Northampton, and in the meantime, having apparently ruled out any further attempt to negotiate a return to the Ricoh, build a new stadium in the Coventry area. Three to five years is the estimated timescale, which seems optimistic.

While the circumstances in which the City manager, Steven Pressley, finds himself working to overcome the handicap of the 10-point deduction with which they started the season are less than ideal, the quality of his squad is such promotion remains perfectly feasible. As Pressley acknowledged, they ripped Colchester to pieces.

Coming into this match having scored 18 goals in their six previous games, City should have increased that tally by at least three before the 30-minute mark. That they did not was down to a couple of smart saves from the Colchester goalkeeper Sam Walker – from Leon Clarke and Callum Wilson – and Clarke's own profligacy. In between hitting the foot of Walker's left-hand post from close range, and the top of his bar with an angled drive, the 28-year-old striker also contrived to head a Carl Baker cross wide from the six-yard line.

At the other end Alex Gilbey put a header and then a half-volley over the bar, but the Essex side were increasingly hanging on and duly went behind six minutes before half-time. Blair Adams, advancing from full-back, fired in a low drive which Walker could only parry, and the ball was turned across the line by Wilson, a seventh goal in seven appearances this season for the 21-year-old local boy – local, that is, to Coventry.

The striker confirmed his position at the top of the League One goalscorers list on the hour mark, combining with Clarke before rounding Walker and slotting the ball into the empty net. The win lifted them off the bottom of the table and to within nine points of the play-offs but Pressley expects the supporter boycott to continue. "We understand the situation, and I think regardless how well we play the supporters will not come and watch until we are back in Coventry, which is after all what everyone wants."

He said that fending off transfer window interest in the likes of Wilson, Clarke and Cyrus Christie had been vital. "It was the most important thing for me, and none of our players will be allowed to go out on loan either. Nor will we be selling in January. It's important to be off the bottom and making progress but we've achieved nothing."

Whether those decisions remain in his hands remains to be seen, because off the field City are far from out of the woods. On it, positivity abounds – albeit that not many are watching.

Yet some say we won't be noticed or mentioned about on the hill.

How many of the SISU investors read the Guardian? How long will it be before they get unhappy with the way SISU are ruining things?

Monners

Good coverage (although if I were the pedantic type I would say that there were 130 - 140 on the hill).

jimmyhillsfanclub

Yet some say we won't be noticed or mentioned about on the hill.

How many of the SISU investors read the Guardian? How long will it be before they get unhappy with the way SISU are ruining things?

I'd hazard a guess that whilst many SISU investors may well read broadsheet newspapers, I doubt many read the 3rd division match reports....

Astute

I'd hazard a guess that whilst many SISU investors may well read broadsheet newspapers, I doubt many read the 3rd division match reports....

Even if you were losing money on one of the clubs? Also this time there were no higher up clubs playing. So they all stop reading at the end of the financial pages.....that stop just before the sport ones?

The more they see what is happening the more they will question what is going on. It isn't a game to them. It is their money. They invest to make money, not lose it. And future investors will be scared away. SISU will know this. That is why Joy normally keeps out of the spotlight.

BTW I am an investor. But I wouldn't touch a hedge fund. My biggest was just under 14k in one company. I was buying their shares at about $34 four and a half years ago. They also pay good dividends. I sold £3.5k worth a couple of months ago. They were then $103 each. They have since dipped just over 10%. I still have about 12K in them though. I would be able to prove this to Nick if he was happy for this and you think I don't have a clue about investing. Everyone who invests keeps an eye on what is happening. But you seem to think this is not so.

@richh87

Even if you were losing money on one of the clubs? Also this time there were no higher up clubs playing. So they all stop reading at the end of the financial pages.....that stop just before the sport ones?

The more they see what is happening the more they will question what is going on. It isn't a game to them. It is their money. They invest to make money, not lose it. And future investors will be scared away. SISU will know this. That is why Joy normally keeps out of the spotlight.

BTW I am an investor. But I wouldn't touch a hedge fund. My biggest was just under 14k in one company. I was buying their shares at about $34 four and a half years ago. They also pay good dividends. I sold £3.5k worth a couple of months ago. They were then $103 each. They have since dipped just over 10%. I still have about 12K in them though. I would be able to prove this to Nick if he was happy for this and you think I don't have a clue about investing. Everyone who invests keeps an eye on what is happening. But you seem to think this is not so.

You're right, it's extremely naive for people to think that SISU's investors don't follow exactly what is going on with CCFC.

The sums of money these people plow in are huge. They won't all be individuals either, some will be institutional investors.

I work for an Investment Bank, and investment decisions are based on the research of teams of people, and progress is tracked all day, every day - it's too much money not to!!

If we keep bashing their reputation, and make the investment look doomed, then it will harm SISU - as well as Sepalla's reputation.

ajsccfc

That thread contains plenty of posts mocking it, but a lot of that is repetition from a small number of people. The idea that most people were slagging off anyone going is a vast exaggeration. A lot more people who weren't convinced were either saying 'not for me' or suggesting alternatives, which is hardly dog's abuse.

Astute

That thread contains plenty of posts mocking it, but a lot of that is repetition from a small number of people. The idea that most people were slagging off anyone going is a vast exaggeration. A lot more people who weren't convinced were either saying 'not for me' or suggesting alternatives, which is hardly dog's abuse.

Maybe not most, but just about all that say SISU should get the Ricoh cheaply and not worry about the future. Most of if not all of us want our club to own the Ricoh, but most of us are thinking of the future once SISU have gone. They have already been with us much longer than planned. They don't want us forever. Just want to earn a quick buck however they can and go........or keep the money coming in once they have left our club.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then....

I didn't actually state anywhere that you don't have a clue about investing did I??

Still, I suppose it gave you the opportunity to boast about your investment successes....well done you.

PS: I'm a self made man...well done me. :p

Astute

Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree then....

I didn't actually state anywhere that you don't have a clue about investing did I??

Still, I suppose it gave you the opportunity to boast about your investment successes....well done you.

PS: I'm a self made man...well done me. :p

Boast? If I wanted to boast I would have mentioned so a long time ago. Just had enough of you knowing everything about nothing. Investing is all luck, but you try and shorten the odds. SISU are becoming a long shot investment fund. Not good for their future. But you don't seem to get it.

Self made man? Should have made yourself a better brain then :whistle:

jimmyhillsfanclub

Boast? If I wanted to boast I would have mentioned so a long time ago. Just had enough of you knowing everything about nothing. Investing is all luck, but you try and shorten the odds. SISU are becoming a long shot investment fund. Not good for their future. But you don't seem to get it.

Self made man? Should have made yourself a better brain then :whistle:

What the fuck are you on about....

I just made the point that I doubt many financial institutions read a 3rd division football match report in the Guardian.....hardly the city boys newspaper of choice is it?

....and you go off on a little rant about how you're ace at investing & that I need a new brain....

...Well, I guess you must be correct about 1 thing.....investing must be about luck as you seem to be doing alright at it....:whistle:

Astute

What the fuck are you on about....

I just made the point that I doubt many financial institutions read a 3rd division football match report in the Guardian.....hardly the city boys newspaper of choice is it?
Maybe just the ones losing money on the investment made in our club?

....and you go off on a little rant about how you're ace at investing & that I need a new brain....

So you brag you are a self made man.........failed to make yourself a decent brain :D Yet you say I have a rant about being an ace investor when I say it is mainly luck but you try and reduce the risk.......what drugs are you on?

...Well, I guess you must be correct about 1 thing.....investing must be about luck as you seem to be doing alright at it....:whistle:

​I agree, but did you just contradict yourself as one second I am an ace investor whilst saying it is a lot to do with luck?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I stand by my original "guess" that not many investors will read the match report.

I never mentioned anything about your ability in investments initially.....that was all in your imagination....but you went into great details about how successful your previous investments had been.

My quip at being a self made man was clearly that.....a quip in response to your investment bragging...

I think you'll find its actually you who contradicts himself.....you tell us all you're an investor & therefore you know about investing.......you tell us all how much money one of your deals has made to date......and then you only mention luck when I draw attention to your bragging.

If I was you....I'd leave it now as anyone reading through this will see whats what.

.....and I've not had any drugs since yesterday.....so there !!:D

Astute

I stand by my original "guess" that not many investors will read the match report.

I never mentioned anything about your ability in investments initially.....that was all in your imagination....but you went into great details about how successful your previous investments had been.

My quip at being a self made man was clearly that.....a quip in response to your investment bragging...

I think you'll find its actually you who contradicts himself.....you tell us all you're an investor & therefore you know about investing.......you tell us all how much money one of your deals has made to date......and then you only mention luck when I draw attention to your bragging.

If I was you....I'd leave it now as anyone reading through this will see whats what.

.....and I've not had any drugs since yesterday.....so there !!:D

Is that right?

I also see you pick and choose the threads you contribute to carefully. If you can have a go without having to state facts you do. Try joining this one.............http://www.skybluestalk.co.uk/threads/36810-What-did-CCC-ACL-do-wrong

How can you twist this one whilst being slightly truthful?

jimmyhillsfanclub

Ha. I'd hardly say I'm selective. .. there are just way too many threads to comment on them all so I comment on a fairly random basis. As for posting on yet another sisu v ACL type thread.. . It bores me shitless...I'm past caring about dissecting the fuck ups of the past. .. its dull beyond belief and pointless in the extreme.

RoboCCFC90

It's called "Poetic Licence" you fuckwit! Some examples for you.........
Trafalgar Square, London. Trafalgar is not in London
Bull Ring, Birmingham. No Bull fighting stadium there. :thinking about:
Cleopatra's Needle, London. She was from Egypt.
.......and there's hundreds more.

Ooh Fuckwit that's a new one on here..

Just because its poetic licence doesn't mean it sits on the correct side of the moral line, but having resorted to an infantile term you wouldn't understand.

RoboCCFC90

Why, after a day of such positivity on and off the pitch, do you and Nick pursue such a pedantic and probably inaccurate line of reasoning?

I gave my positivity on the match thread.

RoboCCFC90

Yet you would still tolerate/endorse them obtaining the Ricoh?

If they can reunite the club and the Arena, why would anyone not tolerate or endorse that?

RoboCCFC90

A sense of irony perhaps Robo?
In other posts you put the emphasis on ACL to negotiate, why not SISU. You also say its the business practice you expect from a hedgefund; my answer to that is expecting and accepting are two different things.

You seem very reassured and confident about everything Joy says. When Ann Lucas offered to have a meeting (couldn't be better than the council leader to negotiate with) she was busy travelling on business...well set a date for the future then!

The thing is Robo when people call SISU's bluff they twist and turn. So you have to accept we are in Northampton because SISU took us there.

Just like if certain protesters want to refer to a part of Northampton as Jimmy Hills hill you have to accept that too. Just like I have to accept there will be people who believe SISU are trying to build a new stadium, it will solve the clubs problems long term and the club are going in the right direction.

One thing I do know is SISU don't abide to contracts with CCC, don't have regard for FL rules, don't publish accounts on time (more than one SISU company)

The only people who can stand up to them are the fans of this club. The fans who don't want their club to be taken away from them and also don't want it to be associated with owners like SISU however deep their pockets are.

I don't agree with the sentiment that ACL should be the only side of this argument to make inroads in to getting these two sides negotiating.

Admittedly we are there because SISU have put us there however I would say there are events that have transpired to the point where we are.

I would like to think the fans could do something to make an impact regarding the ownership of the club, however I can't see SISU being forced out like that.

I don't also follow Joy and SISU word for word or religiously.

ajsccfc

You really want me to highlight the vast majority on here who said it was a pathetic idea? Just read the threads on it, it's clear to see i'm not wrong.

Feel free. Most people weren't dead against it so much as ambivalent, and certainly not any vast majority of naysayers hurling criticism your way.

Users who are viewing this thread