Jake Bidwell (1 Viewer)

Martin180

Had a decent game today I thought , needs to improve his delivery but a solid performance

no_loyalty

Got done far too easily for the goal, didn’t do too bad after that but doesn’t seem to suit the WB role.

stay_up_skyblues

He’s ok. Don’t think he will ever have a shocker but neither will he have a blinder. First choice LB for us, probably. But at LWB in games we are looking to win I’m hoping the lad from Palace is mustard and takes the shirt.

Liquid Gold

Was terrible last season but it was said he was carrying an injury and needed to adjust to our system.

He wasn’t much better today but nobody was at it really.

Still a fresh slate for him as far as I’m concerned. I do want to see more though.

slowpoke

2566813, member: 1385"]
Decent wage with decent tenure.

But now we have a) 'potentially' a monster LWB; and b) with Panzo & Doyle, the left side of a back 3 is covered.

Was this a good use of our very limited resources?
was what good use of limited resources ?

Greggs

But he hasn't a a full pre-season........oops

lord_garrincha

Interesting to hear...

It's day one... Chill out! Get that.

Then... Players bought mid season aren't used to our system... Well, you are a LWB for most of your career, shouldn't that be easy???

I think the mixed opinion says it all... sadly not every signing is a pearler... but surely he will be an asset over the season(s).

fatso

Think its the opening day and he will have much better matches for us .. although you'd imagine the palace lad might not give him the chance too
Agree, I think it won't be long before we see the Palace lad given a chance.

Both our wingbacks struggled to give us an outlet, especially Eccles, and Bidwell sold himself far too easily for the build up to their goal.

On a plus note, Panzo had a very good debut, and looks like he could go on to be a step up from JCS.

Evo1883

He’s a rubbish, end of story
Agree, I think it won't be long before we see the Palace lad given a chance.

Both our wingbacks struggled to give us an outlet, especially Eccles, and Bidwell sold himself far too easily for the build up to their goal.

On a plus note, Panzo had a very good debut, and looks like he could go on to be a step up from JCS.
Eccles was absolutely atrocious today , unless dabo was injured that's a ridiculous team selection for me

NorthernWisdom

Eccles was absolutely atrocious today , unless dabo was injured that's a ridiculous team selection for me
They said on the Sky comms he hadn't fully recovered from his hamstring issues of last season. Given his previous couple of seasons, I'd rather get him right than have him out for half a dozen games if that's true, and Eccles had done enough to not think he'd be quite as bad as he was today.

Anyway, it gave us a chance to see just how good Dabo is when he came on ;)

skybluepm2

agreed. He’s always impressed me previously, but today just woeful. Hopefully we can put it down as a bad day at the office and he can get back to how he was playing in spells last season.

Like you, I’m still waiting for clarity on why the hell Dabo was on the bench. You’d have thought Clive might’ve seen the sense in asking the question, the silly sheepdog.

Great_Expectations

Yep, still not convinced. I get it’s one game, but he’s had a full pre-season, plus half last year to understand how we play.

He has a good pedigree and at LWB, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it’s LWB in a very different system.

He lacks pace and most importantly (I’ve said it since he signed) dynamism. He isn’t going to take us forward and up the pitch, in fact he almost looks nervous on the ball.

His defending for the goal was also absolutely horrific.

In his defence; his more defensive mindset will have been highlighted more today as the RWB also wouldn’t be pushing on, meaning we lacked outlets both sides.

I really do hope he comes up, his history suggests he should and he looks in great condition too. But so far I’ve not idea how his career has been at LWB and not LB.

lordy_87

Not writing him off hopefully he'll come good but that defending for their goal was shite

Terry Gibson's perm

Bidwell is a decent steady player he’s not as good as Maatsen going forward but as a defender he is way ahead, yes he got beaten today but that will happen.

Martin180

Bidwell is a decent steady player he’s not as good as Maatsen going forward but as a defender he is way ahead, yes he got beaten today but that will happen.
That's the thing he did get beat but it wasn't why they scored , they scored cause Moore made a massive error . I thought he was solid today , delivery was disappointing at times but he wasn't our worst player by any means today

samccov1987

We play 3-5-2 but signed Bidwell and Kane on decent money who are conventional fullbacks. Not their mistake but ours - decent players out of position at an age too late to be fluid.

SkyBlueScottie

Not the greatest player, but is useful for a small squad due to being able to play LB, CB, LCB, LWB. Based on how we usually play, Im not sure he is the answer at LWB. ( would suggest based on the loan signing, Robins agrees)

Esoterica

The issue isn’t with Bidwell as a footballer. He’s a solid Championship level player. It’s his skill set as a LWB within the formation we play. You can’t have two defensive minded wingbacks in a 3-5-2 that also has two sitting midfielders and play expansive attacking football. It either needs wing backs who are more comfortable in possession around the box or for one of Hamer or Sheaf to have more freedom to get forward. That’s not the Robins way though, at least, not in the first half of games. Keep it tight to half time and then gradually release the handbrake.

Brighton Sky Blue

The issue isn’t with Bidwell as a footballer. He’s a solid Championship level player. It’s his skill set as a LWB within the formation we play. You can’t have two defensive minded wingbacks in a 3-5-2 that also has two sitting midfielders and play expansive attacking football. It either needs wing backs who are more comfortable in possession around the box or for one of Hamer or Sheaf to have more freedom to get forward. That’s not the Robins way though, at least, not in the first half of games. Keep it tight to half time and then gradually release the handbrake.

That seems a contradictory way to play, first half anyway.

Jamesimus

Yep, still not convinced. I get it’s one game, but he’s had a full pre-season, plus half last year to understand how we play.

He has a good pedigree and at LWB, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it’s LWB in a very different system.

He lacks pace and most importantly (I’ve said it since he signed) dynamism. He isn’t going to take us forward and up the pitch, in fact he almost looks nervous on the ball.

His defending for the goal was also absolutely horrific.

In his defence; his more defensive mindset will have been highlighted more today as the RWB also wouldn’t be pushing on, meaning we lacked outlets both sides.

I really do hope he comes up, his history suggests he should and he looks in great condition too. But so far I’ve not idea how his career has been at LWB and not LB.

I think Swansea have played a much slower possession based game where as we look to move the ball forwards much quicker, so perhaps that's what he isn't adapting to? He is an absolute unit and defo looks the part.

Out of possession he's largely okay. The way he got done for the cross was daft, but as someone else said, that will happen to anyone at times and the reason that went in was down to Moore.

I think he has a part to play closing games out or against the better teams where we see less of the ball maybe? But even then, we rely on quick counters and last season were at our best attacking from deep very direct and quick.

But yeah, neither wingback was any good yesterday. The issue is, one of them was playing out of position and was considerably younger with less "championship pedigree".

Esoterica

I’m not a fan of it. Seems counter intuitive to me to try and win a game in half the time available. Think he likes to try and take the sting out of games, especially away from home but it puts the team under a lot of pressure when games are always tight first half and we’ve needed a lot of incredible second halves last season to come away with points. Would love to hear more from him on that side of the game but he doesn’t give very long interviews and the focus is always on other areas. Normally how good the opposition are. 😀

Sky Blue Harry H

Sunderland often play with Roberts and Clarke (2 very attack minded wingers - maybe MR wanted the slightly more defensive attributes of Eccles and Bidwell, although that seemed to hamper us attacking wise - plus Roberts didn't start!)

NorthernWisdom

I’m not a fan of it. Seems counter intuitive to me to try and win a game in half the time available. Think he likes to try and take the sting out of games, especially away from home but it puts the team under a lot of pressure when games are always tight first half and we’ve needed a lot of incredible second halves last season to come away with points. Would love to hear more from him on that side of the game but he doesn’t give very long interviews and the focus is always on other areas. Normally how good the opposition are. 😀
If he thinks our fitness is better than most (and the number of late goals suggests he might have a point) then letting the opposition burn themselves out has a certain merit.

It'd have more of a point if we could stop bungling goals for the opposition...

Users who are viewing this thread