Jake Bidwell (1 Viewer)

lord_garrincha

Decent wage with decent tenure.

But now we have a) 'potentially' a monster LWB; and b) with Panzo & Doyle, the left side of a back 3 is covered.

Was this a good use of our very limited resources?

CovLis86

All the bashing is massively OTT. Don't know why he's been picked as the latest boo boy. He's certianly no world beater, or prem class. But he's absolutely a mid to high mid champ which is where we would like to place ourselves, so I don't get the abuse. People act like he's Keith o'neill stealing a wage.

baldy

I’m not convinced by that knuckle dragger lummoxing down that left wing as a wing-back - maybe better in the back three but nowhere near good enough at wing-back yet for us

stupot07

Think it still could be, the track record with him is good.
One of the main reasons he was ineffective in the first half is that Panzo, McFadzean and the midfield kept passing behind him, meaning he was having to control it facing his own goal making him go backwards. He is never going to take lots of players on but if we put it into space he gets in decent positions. His crossing was gash today though, although he was the only cov player that managed a single accurate cross all game, he did have 7 attempts.

I think you have to give the winger credit to managing to create that space against him.

He was a 6/10 today, no better no worse.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

One of the main reasons he was ineffective in the first half is that Panzo, McFadzean and the midfield kept passing behind him, meaning he was having to control it facing his own goal making him go backwards. He is never going to take lots of players on but if we put it into space he gets in decent positions. His crossing was gash today though, although he was the only cov player that managed a single accurate cross all game, he did have 7 attempts.

I think you have to give the winger credit to managing to create that space against him.

Pretty much this, there were worse players today

Jamesimus

I know people on here love to jump to his defence based on his experience. And this isn't to single him out because he wasn't the worst today at all.

However, he's not a wing back. Certainly not within the way we play. He doesn't look to pass the ball progressively often enough, not particularly quick, he certainly doesn't look as comfortable as most of the other players with the ball at his feet. Got caught flat footed a few times today. One occasion where he chose to press at a daft time getting bailed out by Panzo.

I don't think he is an awful player, but he's definitely not the answer. I could forgive Maatsen's misgivings based on his age and aggressive desire to attack. With his experience I think what everyone who criticises him is saying is we should be expecting more from Bidwell.

Brighton Sky Blue

Also needs remembering players are going to be especially rusty with the early season start. Bidwell hasn’t been here even a year, and we need flexibility if we are to stand a better chance of adapting to different opposition and game scenarios.

Daft to write him off just yet, which to be fair the OP wasn’t.

Briles

I think he's a LB more than a WB. He doesn't worry me defensively but offers little going forward. Problem is we are comparing him to maatsen who was the opposite.

NorthernWisdom

Meaningless that now though, is it not? Waghorn was a top player once, Gyokeres couldn't get in the Swansea team once...
I'll listen to the argument that he doesn't fit our style, but it's the ones saying he's not a wing back that need it pointed out that he is a wing back, as he's been a very successful one in the Championship over a number of seasons.

Anyway, one game does not make a summer.

David O'Day

Meaningless that now though, is it not? Waghorn was a top player once, Gyokeres couldn't get in the Swansea team once...
No, it shows he can play LWB at a good level.

He's not a player in decline Waghorn and the fact Cooper didnt fancy Vik has no baring on anything,

David O'Day

I'll listen to the argument that he doesn't fit our style, but it's the ones saying he's not a wing back that need it pointed out that he is a wing back, as he's been a very successful one in the Championship over a number of seasons.

Anyway, one game does not make a summer.
This, he can play wingback well.

Is he the wingback we need is a different conversation.

mmttww

Massive overreaction today. He wasn't great, but he wasn't awful. Got in to some good positions but fluffed two really good chances to set someone up. If he has five games like that to start the season, fine, criticism will be deserved but seeing him getting slated after today just shows how much people want to find scapegoats and moan.

Jamesimus

This, he can play wingback well.

Is he the wingback we need is a different conversation.

Let's settle on, he's not the wingback for us :)

I do still think if we opt for the 4-3-3 more often this season he may come into his own. I think having attacking players within closer proximity to him and down the channels will help.

Jamesimus

Massive overreaction today. He wasn't great, but he wasn't awful. Got in to some good positions but fluffed two really good chances to set someone up. If he has five games like that to start the season, fine, criticism will be deserved but seeing him getting slated after today just shows how much people want to find scapegoats and moan.

Please don't confuse my posts with slating him, many players weren't great today. My opinion of him is based upon last season too, so I'm hoping five games in this season, you'll be quoting me, pointing out how stupid I am!

Hobo

Decent wage with decent tenure.

But now we have a) 'potentially' a monster LWB; and b) with Panzo & Doyle, the left side of a back 3 is covered.

Was this a good use of our very limited resources?

Did you have this typed up before the game?

It is one game he did okay.

Godden is on a decent wage missed a sitter.

We got a very good away point today with lots of slightly below par performances.

Evo1883

Think its the opening day and he will have much better matches for us .. although you'd imagine the palace lad might not give him the chance too

Users who are viewing this thread