Jack burroughs (1 Viewer)

blunted

Surprised Howley was ahead of Burroughs at the Dons as he is more a midfielder. Burroughs looked good at Watford last season on his debut at LWB then dropped a couple of poor matches at RWB. Loans at his stage of development are crucial to see if he can cut it playing regularly at quite a high level. If you think Burroughs is better than Eccles at RWB, look back at the matches last season (Sunderland away apart for Eccles).

SleepyGinger

Were Shipley and Bayliss better than the current crop of youngsters or were they just lucky they broke through when they did?

shmmeee

If Gus does go and we end up bringing 2 CMs in, do we let Eccles go out as well? Get a full L1 season playing every week. Leave Kelly to cover Sheaf this season.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I'm guessing you're having a laugh with that suggestion.

Eccles played 38 games last season, starting 29 of them. And we did pretty well last year from memory. So even if we did end up with one extra CM if we sold Gus I'd rather him in the squad than Kelly.

shmmeee

No. Eccles is good enough to start games in midfield. I think he'll improve this year again. Smart player. I'd rather Eccles cover Sheaf than Kelly.

Just think while Kelly is there he won’t get the games he needs to really kick on. Would rather he went and bossed L1 than got twenty mins here and there. Injuries aside we don’t tend to swap out CMs much.

Somerset Sky Blue

Sentiment contract , hopefully he isn't on a lot of money but with the way the squad has and is evolving it looks more and more one that we could regret .
Kelly will provide lots, especially if he isn't injured. We will get injuries, loss of form and the midfield will sometimes need an experienced head (like fadz at the back). Kelly can come on, settle the team and provide guidance. A good option - we frequently won't have our first eleven and will need options for MR.

Martin180

Kelly will provide lots, especially if he isn't injured. We will get injuries, loss of form and the midfield will sometimes need an experienced head (like fadz at the back). Kelly can come on, settle the team and provide guidance. A good option - we frequently won't have our first eleven and will need options for MR.
Perhaps I was overly harsh, he does still have a role within the club

Somerset Sky Blue

Once MvE is properly up and running Eccles will be above Kelly in the midfield pecking order
I think Eccles will be above Kelly this season, but Kelly will still have a vital role to play this season - occasionally as a starter, more often as a sub to settle the team or provide support/direction from MR and also on the training ground.

Martin180

I think Eccles will be above Kelly this season, but Kelly will still have a vital role to play this season - occasionally as a starter, more often as a sub to settle the team or provide support/direction from MR and also on the training ground.
Still would like another option in midfield, maybe a loanee to offer something different

SBT

Eccles played 34 Championship games last season - what’s he going to learn in League One?

Hincha

He's currently 3rd choice CM & 2nd choice RWB (will play until MVE gets up to speed).

If we sell Gus and sign a CM he'll be no worse off. Even if we sign 2 CM's ahead of him to replace Gus he'll still get plenty of game time but more likely at RWB.

larry_david

Read this second half of the thread about 3am as couldn't sleep and thought I was dreaming. Some very bizarre takes!

TomRad85

Because he needs game time in his favoured position and it looks like he’d be third behind Kelly and Sheaf based on robins selections so far.
I can't think he's behind Kelly, more that he's just been needed as RWB more atm. Rather we just get MVE up to speed there personally and have Eccles coming on in the middle rather than Kelly, but i'm not the manager... which is probably a good thing.

Hertsccfc

Because he needs game time in his favoured position and it looks like he’d be third behind Kelly and Sheaf based on robins selections so far.
Eccles will play the majority of our games as he did last season. Surely he played virtually every game from about November until the play offs.

shmmeee

Eccles will play the majority of our games as he did last season. Surely he played virtually every game from about November until the play offs.

January, but yeah he did. And we were playing 3 CMs and one forward most of that time out of necessity.

I just can’t see who he gets in ahead of in the team if we’ve got proper cover everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread