It's your favourite foreign movie... (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

Too many to choose from, but these are the ones I've watched more than once and would happily watch again:

- Three Colours Trilogy (Polish)*
- Diner de cons (French) - this is the vastly superior original of the US remake 'Dinner for Schmucks'
- Das Leben der Anderen (German)
- Au bout de souffle (French) - also remade by Hollywood I think.

* The director made a TV series called Dekalog which is even better but doesn't count as it's not a film.

Grendel

I rarely watch foreign films but the quality of many European series is very high

The Cabin - a french production - scored 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and is a great production

skybluetony176

Been a big fan of martial arts films for as long as I can remember. Got a soft spot for Sonny Chiba films, the Street Fighter series being the obvious ones.

Marty

The chaser, oldboy and bittersweet life, all great Korean films.

jimmyhillsfanclub

Wow...forgot all about city of God. I watched that a couple years before going to Rio for a mates wedding....

....i went on a fucking massive hike around some well dodgy areas trying to catch bus 174.....against all advice from my mate who lived there.

....I was fine (lucky) while he got mugged at a cah point at gun point a week later.....

I've recently watched "parasite" which is a cracking.

clint van damme

Wow...forgot all about city of God. I watched that a couple years before going to Rio for a mates wedding....

....i went on a fucking massive hike around some well dodgy areas trying to catch bus 174.....against all advice from my mate who lived there.

....I was fine (lucky) while he got mugged at a cah point at gun point a week later.....

I've recently watched "parasite" which is a cracking.

Really didn't get on with parasite at all.
It came with an amazing amount of hype which can sometimes be a problem.
So many people I know really rate it. Perhaps I need to give it another go

jimmyhillsfanclub

Just had to Google cos couldn't remember the name but waltz with Bashir is powerful, moving and horrifying.....not for anyone already feeling down tho

ajsccfc

Really liked The Wave, a German film about a teacher proving to sceptical students how the public could easily learn to accept the actions of the Nazis during WW2. Also increasingly timely for today

Grendel's bang on about TV series, so much good stuff being made. The Walter Presents section on All4 is a little goldmine

mrtrench

The quality of TV series has improved massively over the past 10 years or so. HBO started the trend, I think, but Netflix and others have really raised the bar across the board.

However, personally I think the BBC has got worse over that time. Last Christmas we struggled to find anything we wanted to watch. I remember when we couldn't possibly watch everything we wanted to. In fact, we watch live TV so little now that I was considering getting rid of our license and aerial.

skyblueusername

Really liked The Wave, a German film about a teacher proving to sceptical students how the public could easily learn to accept the actions of the Nazis during WW2. Also increasingly timely for today

Grendel's bang on about TV series, so much good stuff being made. The Walter Presents section on All4 is a little goldmine
Totally agree with you and grendel about the quality of some European TV series and Walter presents has had some good stuff, I posted in the lockdown tv thread that I'm currently watching an Italian series at the moment that I'm thoroughly enjoying and would highly recommend.

Sbarcher

Seem to remember alot of “Swedish Bluies” circulating at work in the 80’s.

Last edited:

Covstu

Got loads of martial arts films, some absolute classics such a onk bak, crouching tiger, house of flying daggers

mrtrench

Got loads of martial arts films, some absolute classics such a onk bak, crouching tiger, house of flying daggers

Love the last two - so beautiful... I'm not interested in martial arts per se but both of those are brilliant films. Haven't heard of the first - is it similar?

skybluetony176

Stephen Chow films are worth a look. If you like martial arts films Kung Fu Hustle is a masterpiece. Some Kung Fu royalty star in it too.

ajsccfc

Banlieue 13, really fun big dumb action film made to show off the main fella's fancy parkour. There's a sequel that's not quite as good but more of the same

wingy

There was a Brilliant Danish black comedy on channel 4 Late last night called Men and Chicken.

skybluetony176

Stumbled across Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon yesterday evening on Sky movies. Haven’t seen it in years, great film.

Sbarcher

The Painted Bird - prepare to be shocked!

derbyskyblue

Watched a film the other night called Is Paris burning. Basically about the nazi plot to blow up paris as the allies were approaching.
Interspersed with the film though was actual footage of the street fighting between nazis , french resistance, and the french army. quite interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread