It's just banta innit (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Yeah, thats a bit more than just a joke you would get somebody like Frankie Boyle saying. When it's THAT Specific and also about a particular person it crosses the line.

I just cant see how they intend to expect to walk around the campus without getting a beating every time? Probably more the one who was giving it the racism.

OffenhamSkyBlue

It's NOT fucking banter (I hate that word too, FWIW) - it is fucking offensive and abhorrent reprehensible behavior. It IS an offence under the Public Order Act, and they should be sent to fucking prison for it. THEN they'll understand what rape is all about, stupid little mummy's boys!!
I work at the Uni (and did my degree there many moons ago), and I am FUCKING APPALLED by this decision. I have written to the Provost to tell her so (not in so many words, mind you!).

I think it is really telling that the Heads of two very highly-regarded departments have written to the Vice-Chancellor to express their dismay about this. That in itself should ring MASSIVE alarm bells for the management.

Can you imagine what would happen to a member of staff who made those kind of comments (whether in a private chat-room or not)? Their fucking feet wouldn't touch the ground, they'd be out the door so quick!

I sincerely hope there is some kind of social media campaign to boycott Warwick, so it hits them the only place they know - the wallet!

ajsccfc

There is a #shameonyouwarwick hashtag picking up on Twitter as well as a petition on change.org, how much impact they'll have is questionable but I'd really like to see more departments step forward - WMG or WBS as particular heavy-hitters could add some real weight to the voices.

Having the press director investigate really stinks considering we've got wellbeing, mental health and sexual support professionals on campus, but instead the PR guy does it. What the fuck.

chiefdave

I think it is really telling that the Heads of two very highly-regarded departments have written to the Vice-Chancellor to express their dismay about this. That in itself should ring MASSIVE alarm bells for the management.
Can see that gathering pace. At least one other department has done similar now and the SU have made it pretty clear that their reps involved in the disciplinary didn't agree and were outvoted. Obviously they can't say it explicitly as its a confidential process but its easy to read between the lines of their statement.
I sincerely hope there is some kind of social media campaign to boycott Warwick, so it hits them the only place they know - the wallet!
Already seeing people on social media saying they've withdrawn their applications or reversed their acceptance of a place.
Having the press director investigate really stinks considering we've got wellbeing, mental health and sexual support professionals on campus, but instead the PR guy does it. What the fuck.
From the sound of things he wasn't just part of the investigation he was leading it! Surely that should have been flagged up as a conflict of interest.

ajsccfc

The press officer in charge of Warwick’s reputation was also in charge of the group chat investigation

According to this girl's account of the investigation you can see where his priorities lie, as if they shouldn't be causing trouble by making a big deal out of intimidating suggestions of being sexually assaulted

"We were just told that it would be an interview about the chat that we found. But when we got there, it was very aggressive questioning. It was as if we were on trial. We were made to feel the entire time that we had to justify why we were upset by this. We were made the whole time to feel like, we had to clarify our stories."

The good thing is none of this is quietly going away as I assume was hoped.

Nick

Administrator
Were they allowed to take anybody independent with them? A parent or something.

It's all a bit strange.

torchomatic

ajsccfc

A student not too long ago was discovered to be the leader of some kind of fascist nazi group and was confirmed to be in breach of the university's dignity policy and left immediately. Looking back over it though, that student chose to withdraw rather than be kicked out which makes me wonder exactly what it would take for someone to actually be fucked off?

EDIT: bloody hell, it was five years ago Fascist fresher makes a swift exit from Warwick Uni

Nick

Administrator
Imagine being a fascist fresher.

Are these people actually back there yet? How will have the front to stroll around the campus.

It's all really strange.

ajsccfc

If nothing changes they're free to return to study in next academic year, so from October onwards. Considering three of them are studying history which is one of the departments who oppose the decision, I'd be surprised if they do return.

OffenhamSkyBlue

They'll have trouble completing their course from intensive care!!!

As for the disciplinary proceedings, WHY were the girls even questioned at all????
My view of how the process should have gone ...
Q: Did you or did you not make those remarks in those posts?
A: I did
Get out, and don't come back. And don't even think of trying to appeal! c**t!
(Process ends!)

It's good that UCU, the union representing academic and administrative staff, has also made a statement condemning the University's process and decision.

OffenhamSkyBlue

If nothing changes they're free to return to study in next academic year, so from October onwards. Considering three of them are studying history which is one of the departments who oppose the decision, I'd be surprised if they do return.
One of the Provost's mealy-mouthed justifications for that timing was that the named victims would have finished her studies by then. What if she wished to stay on to study for a PhD or something? It would effectively be discriminating against her ability to make that decision.

It's all a fucking mess, and NO-ONE would have given a shit if these little cunts were never seen again!

ajsccfc

Oh God yeah that part was so bad, that idea that if the specifially named girls aren't still at the university then the idiots talking about gang rape and mutilation and also 'fresher fucks' and year 10 GCSE girls surely can't be a worry for any other girls still on campus or those looking to join. It's spectacularly mishandled from top to bottom.

chiefdave

Despite all the complaints the Uni still don't seem to get it. Their response today was
All those who were interviewed as part of the investigation were asked about whether there were prior or existing relationships with those also involved. The detail of any relationship was neither questioned or explored.
Why is the question even being asked? It has nothing to do with anything. They've got this completely wrong and are now just digging a bigger hole for themselves.

Reactions: vow

Sky Blue Pete

Wasn't it on a private group chat?

Have comedians like Frankie Boyle who also joke about rape performed at Warwick Arts Centre?

Not saying it's in good taste but on the other hand don't see the massive outrage / offence.
I think it goes way beyond banter. They are a bunch of super entitled knobs who need to grow up before they end up in prison and blame everyone else for how they’ve been badly treated

Nick

Administrator
Despite all the complaints the Uni still don't seem to get it. Their response today was

Why is the question even being asked? It has nothing to do with anything. They've got this completely wrong and are now just digging a bigger hole for themselves.

The question I want to know is if they were wearing short skirts when they got interviewed.

giphy.gif

Macca

I think we have all been in a drunken laddish environment when we have said outlandish stuff to show off or push parameters. I know I have. However this is far more deliberate and sinister and can't say I have been guilty of this or indeed see it as banter.

OffenhamSkyBlue

In the face of a rising tide of reputational damage, a 70,000 signature petition, and pressure from Heads of Departments and Matt Western (MP for Warwick & Leamington), the Vice Chancellor has confirmed just now that the two students "will NOT be returning to the University". He doesn't say that this is because of the reversal of the decision or whether they fear retaliation and reprisal (showing the true courage that they really have). But a good outcome, if not for the right reasons!

ajsccfc

My initial guess is that nothing was really done but the two have decided not to come back, which is the sensible option for them and conveniently saves a lot of bother for the exec team. I hope the part about reviewing their process is genuine though for when this kind of ugliness rears its head in future.

chiefdave

From what was said on the radio, and I only caught the end of it, certainly sounded like the two had decided not to come back for their own safety rather than the uni actually doing anything.

shmmeee

Here’s where we disagree. I don’t think the state should step in to stop you being upset. I don’t think it should be a crime to doubt a serious allegation.

They had no reasonable expectation that the things they said would be seen by the person they were saying it about. So what that person thought is irrelevant.

I’ve joked with mates about rape. Including mates who were rape victims. I’ve jokes about race and weight and sexuality and everything else because it’s a closed circle and we all know each other and aren’t taking anything too seriously. Should we all be prosecuted if someone new comes along and doesn’t like or understand it? No.

If anything the publicity this case has got has caused infinitely more damage to the victims wellbeing than the original chat.

Just wanna say that I got this well wrong.

Seen the screenshots now and it’s not just joking about rape, it’s pretty fucked up shit and the girls involved have a right to attend uni without knowing those guys are around. Glad to see they won’t be coming back even is an example hasn’t been made.

Users who are viewing this thread