It's just banta innit (1 Viewer)

hill83

Mine have grown up having a big sister who isn't white. They don't even notice until they are older. Then when they do notice they also know that everybody's the same. The only difficulty I have ever had is one of my lads getting into trouble a few times for not liking what was said in front of him.

A lot of it is down to how parents were as they grew up and then bravado amongst friends.

Just like what started this thread off.

I hear racist stuff all the time. I'm mixed race myself as I've said on here many times but to the untrained eye look like a white bloke with a mediocre tan. I ALWAYS call people out on it.

NorthernWisdom

Only one I can find is pretty standard mates banter. And it looks like a WhatsApp group, which is a private conversation you need to be invited into.
I dunno, I went off and found them. Was originally along the lines that what someone says in private should stay there, but it's kind of... personal and pretty unnerving about some of them. Casting doubt about whether people actually *were* sexually assaulted is beyond the pail really, too. And yeah sure, it may have been a private group, but the lesson surely is that as soon as you write something down, you can be quoted and there are consequences.

If it had been a one-off joke in bad taste, that again would have been pretty different.

If I were the subject of any of those messages, I'd be disturbed and upset and slightly scared - and that crosses the line.

Covstu

I cannot stand the term banter, I hear this lots at work (construction) and it’s just an excuse for people to be offensive or racist to others. Fuckers got what they deserved

Nick

Administrator
I dunno, I went off and found them. Was originally along the lines that what someone says in private should stay there, but it's kind of... personal and pretty unnerving about some of them. Casting doubt about whether people actually *were* sexually assaulted is beyond the pail really, too. And yeah sure, it may have been a private group, but the lesson surely is that as soon as you write something down, you can be quoted and there are consequences.

If it had been a one-off joke in bad taste, that again would have been pretty different.

If I were the subject of any of those messages, I'd be disturbed and upset and slightly scared - and that crosses the line.

That's the thing, they have written it down which is a bit of a mistake.

It's the same as when a celebrity (or wannabe) writes something down and then 10 years later it pops up to bite them on the arse.

I'd dread to read some of the conversations we had back in the day between mates, can guarantee they wouldn't have been PC.

Nick

Administrator
I must lead a sheltered life as I'm pretty sure I've never chatted with my friends about how someone we knew drugged a girl and raped her or how great Hitler was.

I was about to edit saying 1 thing I can't remember being discussed like that was Rape in that context. Can only remember the word rape being used for showing people up. I must have only seen some of the screenshots from them I think as I havent seen the drugging bit.

Again with Hitler, don't think Ive heard anybody say they love him. Heard plenty of jokes about Nazis etc though.

Still lots of stuff that wouldn't be PC that would be frowned upon.

Although I don't agree with the things Ive seen them saying and some of it could well be them trying to give it billy big bollocks in a group chat they will have hopefully had a reality check now and a dose of grow up.

There is still the difference of it being a private discussion compared to them shouting it in the street for example which is what I was trying to get at.

Last edited:

Astute

I hear racist stuff all the time. I'm mixed race myself as I've said on here many times but to the untrained eye look like a white bloke with a mediocre tan. I ALWAYS call people out on it.
Your skin tone sounds similar to my daughters. When she goes away with her husband he comes back with a better tan than her. She looks light against those with fake tans on though.

I also have black hair and tan very quickly. I have darker skin than my daughter half the year. So people don't have a clue when they meet us for the first time. And as you say the comments are not rare. I always pick people up on what they say unless I am with my daughter. She wants to do it herself. She looks so sweet until someone pisses her off. Then she makes them feel so small.

covcity4life

lol people defending them

these lads are clearly a bunch of cunts

you can have free speech,but you say thats tuff out loud you will get arrested or knocked out. now someone has grassed on you with proof you gotta accept the consequences

banter in a whatsapp group is fine. even terrible comments are private,thats on you and your mates. but be aware if someone takes a screenshot you can get in trouble. it shouldnt be a case of oh its online i should be exempt

like i said if you said that stuff to your mates in pub you might be alright, or someone might overhear you and all hell kicks off.

different medium same issues

in this case who gives a fuck they clearly knobs

ajsccfc

The crux of it for me is that if it was a private group exclusively filled with like-minded edgy dangerous oh no you di'nt say that types there'd be no problems, just a load of pricks chuckling to themselves. In this case it seems as though there are a number of people with access to the group who really didn't like what was being said, which veers away from it being invasion of privacy territory.

NorthernWisdom

The crux of it for me is that if it was a private group exclusively filled with like-minded edgy dangerous oh no you di'nt say that types there'd be no problems, just a load of pricks chuckling to themselves. In this case it seems as though there are a number of people with access to the group who really didn't like what was being said, which veers away from it being invasion of privacy territory.
Although the chat was called "Fuck Women, Disrespect them all", so it wasn't likely to have been all about nice afternoon teas at Coombe Abbey.

Nick

Administrator
Could have just been that somebody had fallen out or was pissed off with somebody else so they grassed them up, rather than offence if they were in a group named that.

ajsccfc

Although the chat was called "Fuck Women, Disrespect them all", so it wasn't likely to have been all about nice afternoon teas at Coombe Abbey.

Can you change group names on it? Never used it myself, but you could see them calling it all kinds of hilarity if that's a feature.

shmmeee

Here’s where we disagree. I don’t think the state should step in to stop you being upset. I don’t think it should be a crime to doubt a serious allegation.

They had no reasonable expectation that the things they said would be seen by the person they were saying it about. So what that person thought is irrelevant.

I’ve joked with mates about rape. Including mates who were rape victims. I’ve jokes about race and weight and sexuality and everything else because it’s a closed circle and we all know each other and aren’t taking anything too seriously. Should we all be prosecuted if someone new comes along and doesn’t like or understand it? No.

If anything the publicity this case has got has caused infinitely more damage to the victims wellbeing than the original chat.

ajsccfc

It's come out that the two who were banned for 10 years have had it reduced to one on the quiet, so four of the five who were messaging about gangraping and mutilating specific named girls and their friends will be allowed in the same seminars as them come September.

Otis

Very odd. Saw this earlier and found it puzzling.

It's quite specific and sustained isn't it and not just one throwaway comment.

ajsccfc

They carried on with another similar chat after the first was closed too, not giving the slightest shit ‘Let’s do it all again’: Second Warwick boys group chat exposed

People are having a go at the uni on Twitter in particular for a weak 'we can't comment' stance and I've seen some emails that people are sending in thanks to a few people CCing absolutely every warwick email address they can humanly find. It's hard to disagree with them, the victims of whatever you'd consider the chat content to be haven't been considered here at all.

chiefdave

It's come out that the two who were banned for 10 years have had it reduced to one on the quiet, so four of the five who were messaging about gangraping and mutilating specific named girls and their friends will be allowed in the same seminars as them come September.
Unless there's something we don't know about, and its hard to imagine what that could even be to justify the change, this is a very poor move from Warwick Uni.

Even if they were going to scale back having them back while the girls they targeted are still there is appalling. If they're going to do anything why not at the very least get them transferred to another uni.

Somethings not right here and the only thing I can think of is they have rich and / or powerful parents who have pulled some strings.

ajsccfc

There was some kind of appeal over the summer so I don't know if it was decided then and has just come out or what's gone on, but I agree with you that a transfer away is the best option, this sends a horrible message to the subjects of their material. I'd hope that there's at least some kind of clarification coming.

ajsccfc

Statement by University of Warwick Provost Professor Christine Ennew on the recent investigation and subsequent disciplinary action

Privacy considerations mean that we are not able to disclose the specific details on which the decisions were made; however the panel reached the view that there were clear reasons to require that the punishments imposed should be comparable across all of those individuals sanctioned by the major disciplinary process.

As a consequence, all those students for whom the major disciplinary cases were proven have broadly comparable penalties, and those penalties were set to allow the complainants to complete their studies before the disciplined students were given the opportunity to return (and there are a range of conditions imposed on that return). The penalties imposed combine direct punishment for the deeply offensive and threatening comments made during the chats, future behavioural restrictions and a requirement to engage in processes to enable them to learn from their past unacceptable behaviours.

We would like to reiterate that this behaviour goes completely against our values as a community.

chiefdave

Like how there's a load of meaningless waffle then "We would like to reiterate that this behaviour goes completely against our values as a community". She might as well have just posted this

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The reduction does seem pretty lenient and I think it's about time a lot of the students got some kind of perspective on actions having consequences - it's becoming far too common nowadays that they'll whinge about something or other being extenuating factors for poor results, or poor lecturers, or some such waffle. Never explain how others with the same things manage to do really well.

I also think there's very much an elitist element here. If it'd been a load of the labourers doing building work around the campus there'd be calls for them to be sacked from their jobs.

Chances are it is just a load of macho bravado bullshit, and put most of them in a real world environment and they're actually pretty intimidated by it, but there are some notorious frat houses around so you never know.

It's not just men capable of this. I've spent a fair amount of time working in female-dominated office environments and they can be just as filthy. I've heard conversations about who they think does and doesn't have a big cock, what they'd do to them in the stationery cupboard etc, ask male members of staff if they had the stamina to take them all on etc. I've had three women ask me to guess how big their tits are (imagine if I'd asked them to guess the size of my cock) - one even showed me them - and even had an offer to see an 'intimate' tattoo.

I'd also like to remind some people that this very forum has it's own "not so obvious babes thread" with it's banta.

skybluegnome

Well I'm guessing you guys wont mind if it's your daughter that they're talking about - or one of her flat mates especially if she was a p**ki ! I cant believe anyone can believe this is just banter - or even it's fine as its locker room banter or on a private platform. This is the way these morons think about women - all women, your wives, daughters girlfriends etc etc. I hope they get kicked out.
Finally, the voice of reason. It sickens me how these people can think it is banter, locker room stuff etc. Whoever at Warwick Uni decided to let them come back should should hang their head in shame. And this is supposed to be one of the top universities in the country....Unbelievable.

SBAndy

The reduction does seem pretty lenient and I think it's about time a lot of the students got some kind of perspective on actions having consequences - it's becoming far too common nowadays that they'll whinge about something or other being extenuating factors for poor results, or poor lecturers, or some such waffle. Never explain how others with the same things manage to do really well.

I also think there's very much an elitist element here. If it'd been a load of the labourers doing building work around the campus there'd be calls for them to be sacked from their jobs.

Chances are it is just a load of macho bravado bullshit, and put most of them in a real world environment and they're actually pretty intimidated by it, but there are some notorious frat houses around so you never know.

It's not just men capable of this. I've spent a fair amount of time working in female-dominated office environments and they can be just as filthy. I've heard conversations about who they think does and doesn't have a big cock, what they'd do to them in the stationery cupboard etc, ask male members of staff if they had the stamina to take them all on etc. I've had three women ask me to guess how big their tits are (imagine if I'd asked them to guess the size of my cock) - one even showed me them - and even had an offer to see an 'intimate' tattoo.

I'd also like to remind some people that this very forum has it's own "not so obvious babes thread" with it's banta.

Where do you work, chief?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Don't work there anymore I'm afraid - got too knackered keeping up with it all ;)

Plus I was a fair bit younger and had my youthful looks and a flat stomach.

Nick

Administrator

Ever seen a Fireman go into an office with women in it?

giphy.gif

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Yep - like one of those 80's Diet Coke ads. You'd have thought the Chippendales had turned up.

One of the women I worked with was actually married to a fireman - cue lots of sliding down a fireman's pole comments

shmmeee

Wasn't it on a private group chat?

Have comedians like Frankie Boyle who also joke about rape performed at Warwick Arts Centre?

Not saying it's in good taste but on the other hand don't see the massive outrage / offence.

It’s not like a Frankie Boyle joke. It’s literally just saying “I’m going to rape this named person”. And that named person has to go to uni each day with them.

I’m not sure about the private chat thing. By that logic we shouldn’t arrest terrorists we find plotting on the Internet.

Nick

Administrator
It’s not like a Frankie Boyle joke. It’s literally just saying “I’m going to rape this named person”. And that named person has to go to uni each day with them.

I’m not sure about the private chat thing. By that logic we shouldn’t arrest terrorists we find plotting on the Internet.

Yeah I saw some of the content afterwards!

ajsccfc

Yeah the big thing is that there are a number of current students who know that things like 'I'm going to rape the german girl in my flat while everyone watches', '____ looks like a rape victim' and '____ deserves hair straighteners on her flaps' are specifically about them. The English and History (at least one of the four is studying history too) departments have so far opposed the University stance, I hope more will join them.

Otis

Yeah the big thing is that there are a number of current students who know that things like 'I'm going to rape the german girl in my flat while everyone watches', '____ looks like a rape victim' and '____ deserves hair straighteners on her flaps' are specifically about them. The English and History (at least one of the four is studying history too) departments have so far opposed the University stance, I hope more will join them.
I sincerely hope they do.

I don't get this sudden leniency at all.

ajsccfc

I remember a few years ago there was a furore about campus security getting heavy-handed on some protesting students which was notable but this seems so much bigger. Alumni, current students and staff and probably most importantly from a business point of view prospective students and their parents are all seeing what can easily be considered the condoning of this kind of thing.

hill83

All over bbc news today. Interviews with the women who were targeted.

Users who are viewing this thread