It's down to 2 candidates (4 Viewers)

Covstar

If it is Mowbray, I think this is a major coup for our club in this league and in our dire situation. He is the sort of manager that will get respect from the players and I can see the players putting in that extra shift to impress him. Very good appointment IF the rumours are true.

Last edited:

FRY-CCFC

Having a negative net spend and having to only deal with freebies and loans is a whole different challenge

I agree but Mowbray spent a lot of his time cutting the wage bill due to Strachan's horrendous spell at Boro. He didn't have an extortionate budget compared to other teams.

rupert_bear

Has contacts galore and a respected coach/manager sort of old school in the Mick McCarthy mould, but I said that about Peter Reid !!

stupot07

I agree but Mowbray spent a lot of his time cutting the wage bill due to Strachan's horrendous spell at Boro. He didn't have an extortionate budget compared to other teams.

They had the 6th largest wage bill in 11/12 and money to spend, the follow my season had the 10th largest wage bill. That's enough resource to offer decent wages. Like I said I'd be happy with his appointment, but I do worry he's not really been in a position to properly need to wheel and deal, and scavenge for players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

kg82

They had the 6th largest wage bill in 11/12 and money to spend, the follow my season had the 10th largest wage bill. That's enough resource to offer decent wages. Like I said I'd be happy with his appointment, but I do worry he's not really been in a position to properly need to wheel and deal, and scavenge for players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Where do you get those figures from? Genuinely curious

CCFC_Charlie

Isn't that basically just us in this league?

stupot07

Isn't that basically just us in this league?

Pretty much, but behind be back drop of no transfer fees, Mowbray did have some money to spend. We also have a squad which although better than the current position, doesn't translate to top 6 quality - we're over paying a number of players.. Another major overhaul is needed in the summer, which will be against the backdrop of another reduction in the wage bill (attendances have dropped, no big cup tie revenue, no star player to sell for £2-3m to bump up the turnover).

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Whilst we're talking about finances, Cardiff City are now £170 million in debt to Vincent Tan. If we ever manage to get back in the championship will we even be able to compete. Its becoming premier league II.

Can only imagine how much clubs like Fulham, Wigan, Reading, Bolton, Cardiff, Blackburn, Norwich, Middlesbrough are still paying from their premier league days. As well as clubs like Brentford/Bournemouth who are strongly backed

junglej13

Mowbray in the circumstances would be an absolutely terrific appointment. Im genuinely amazed that he would take the job under the current owners.

woody11462

I can't help but think that Mowbray must know about the situation of this club and what we have gone through recently and you think that might put someone like him off if he is not being paid silly wages and does not have a decent transfer/wage budget.

But then I think back to when Pressley referred to things changing this summer in terms of money available and times changing for the club. Maybe the finances are going to advance this summer to a point we can improve (I know, wishful thinking) but maybe Mowbray has been promised a chance to do something in the summer if he keeps them up??? Probably more chance of it snowing on Xmas day but there has been rumours of things improving this summer before Pressley left.

Ccfc1979

I can't help but think that Mowbray must know about the situation of this club and what we have gone through recently and you think that might put someone like him off if he is not being paid silly wages and does not have a decent transfer/wage budget.

But then I think back to when Pressley referred to things changing this summer in terms of money available and times changing for the club. Maybe the finances are going to advance this summer to a point we can improve (I know, wishful thinking) but maybe Mowbray has been promised a chance to do something in the summer if he keeps them up??? Probably more chance of it snowing on Xmas day but there has been rumours of things improving this summer before Pressley left.

McFarlane also said in programme notes that thanks to Pressley cutting back wages, etc, the new manager will be in a different, better position this summer.

higgs

With our squad we should be challenging for top 6 we were badly managed not knowing what was our best formation etc if we appoint an experienced manager then he will have learned from his mistakes elsewhere as opposed to sp making them with us. Once we do stay up I'd be confident of us having a right good go at the top 6 next season if we get some momentum going under the right manager and the crowds start to increase then the sky's the limit for us pusb

Evo1883

In 2011/12 finished 7th
His players in were

Players in

PlayerFromFee
England Curtis MainFree AgentFree
France Malaury MartinFree AgentFree
Nigeria Carl IkemeWolverhampton Wanderers Three-month loan[1]
Argentina Julio ArcaFree AgentFree
Belgium Faris HarounFree AgentFree
England Alex NimelyManchester City Three-month loan[2]
Nigeria Bartholomew Ogbeche Free AgentFree[3]
England Adam Hammill Wolverhampton Loan til End of Season[4]

I dont see how thats any different to us ..loans frees etc ..higher wages yes but the same principle

Last edited:

stupot07

In 2011/12 finished 7th
His players in were

Players in

PlayerFromFee
England Curtis MainFree AgentFree
France Malaury MartinFree AgentFree
Nigeria Carl IkemeWolverhampton Wanderers Three-month loan[1]
Argentina Julio ArcaFree AgentFree
Belgium Faris HarounFree AgentFree
England Alex NimelyManchester City Three-month loan[2]
Nigeria Bartholomew Ogbeche Free AgentFree[3]
England Adam Hammill Wolverhampton Loan til End of Season[4]

I dont see how thats any different to us ..loans frees etc ..higher wages yes but the same principle

They signed Juke off us for £1.5m.

And those transfers added to an already quality squad, with the likes of Emnes, Thompson, Robson, Bates, Bennett, Bailey,

Last edited:

steveecov

Whilst we're talking about finances, Cardiff City are now £170 million in debt to Vincent Tan. If we ever manage to get back in the championship will we even be able to compete. Its becoming premier league II.

Can only imagine how much clubs like Fulham, Wigan, Reading, Bolton, Cardiff, Blackburn, Norwich, Middlesbrough are still paying from their premier league days. As well as clubs like Brentford/Bournemouth who are strongly backed

After O'Leary nearly got European success with Leeds, 4 years later they were still paying ex players' wages; and couldn't afford promotions, as extra payments to ex players would have been triggered.

Now they ARE what you call a sleeping giant.

With our foundations; where, what, how to build.

FRY-CCFC

They signed Juke off us for £1.5m.

And those transfers added to an already quality squad, with the likes of Emnes, Thompson, Robson, Bates, Bennett, Bailey,

He got rid of Thompson, Bates and Robson the year after. Released Bates and Thompson.

stupot07

He got rid of Thompson, Bates and Robson the year after. Released Bates and Thompson.

Yep, because of the wage bill, they were all decent earners. Rumours that Thompson was on c£35k pw in the championship. They finished 16th that season. Like I've said he would be a decent appointment, but the financial constraints are a lot tighter than at middlesborough, he was at least able to offer frees/loans decent wages.

steveecov

McFarlane also said in programme notes that thanks to Pressley cutting back wages, etc, the new manager will be in a different, better position this summer.

This summer, SP will certainly be in a cosy spot methinks.....Baldrick, pass that brochure.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Does he mean in a position where we've only got about 10 players contracted and have to completely rebuild the squad again?

skybluepm2

Seems to be a sure thing now. Mowbray 1/6 on to be our next manager according to sky bet, down from evens last night. Glad I stuck 20 quid on it thanks to the rumours on here :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

Considering Mowbray is a club legend there seems to be quite a bit of negativity towards him from the Middlesbrough fans

J

Jack Griffin

Mowbray in the circumstances would be an absolutely terrific appointment. Im genuinely amazed that he would take the job under the current owners.

He left Boro in Oct 2013 & probably needs a job somewhere, even if it isn't an ideal situation, to get back in to management.

Voice_of_Reason

I met Tony Mowbray at the Ricoh a year or so ago and had a long chat with him... even then he said CCFC would be a good club to manage. I like his philosopy and I'm convinced he would do a good job here.. but no manager is perfect ! (Unless you are Jose "the chosen one" lol.) He will make mistakes but tell me a Manager who hasn't ?

skybluesam66

never wrong - if you believe that - put £10k on Mowbray with betfair to return £15700 and £1450 on rosler to return £1595 - and if you really believe it is between them 2 , you then have a guaranteed £4k+ profit

shmmeee

Got to agree with Stupot here. Better manager than Id have hoped for but concerned he'll need a budget we can't give him.

Still, my kind of manager and should drill the players we've got better than Pressley did.

Users who are viewing this thread