It is unrealistic but... Own the Ricoh (at least half of it at least) or Build a new stadium at Warwick Uni? (1 Viewer)

The Philosopher

Uni

The offshoots of having sports science students, analysis, physio training etc formed around the team - campus bars the list goes on.

The Ricoh - awful.

shmmeee

Uni

The offshoots of having sports science students, analysis, physio training etc formed around the team - campus bars the list goes on.

The Ricoh - awful.

TBF we could do all the former wherever we are. Nothing stopping us teaming up with UoW right now for that if we want.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ricoh, 32,000 capacity, great motorway connections and not a bad seat in the house. To those that site it as having no atmosphere I would say that moving to the Ricoh coincided with our fall down the divisions, we’ve never had momentous games there with big crowds but that’s not the fault of the arena. Just imagine if we’d got back to the Premier league the year after the Ricoh was built, we’d have more great memories and would love the place. Look at our neighbours along the M69 and ask them if they regret the move from Filbert Street.
If a new ground were to be built at Warwick Uni I would think it would probably be smaller in size and would presumably be owned by Sisu/Uni so our club would still be renting.
I could not have expressed this as well as you have "Oh for IG".
I remember first season against Reading, deafening noise with a late penalty save, dare I say it louder than anything I experienced at Highfield road. In saying that I could hear goals scored at Highfield road from not far away from Wheel pub which was 1.6 miles away.

The Philosopher

TBF we could do all the former wherever we are. Nothing stopping us teaming up with UoW right now for that if we want.
True.

I just like the idea of 5000 new students each year who may just become CCFC fans (give them a free season ticket in year 1, 50% off in year 2 or 3).

shmmeee

True.

I just like the idea of 5000 new students each year who may just become CCFC fans (give them a free season ticket in year 1, 50% off in year 2 or 3).

I like the idea if the finances work out and it’s done how it could be. Just lots of questions left really.

Old Warwickshire lad

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Ricoh, 32,000 capacity, great motorway connections and not a bad seat in the house. To those that site it as having no atmosphere I would say that moving to the Ricoh coincided with our fall down the divisions, we’ve never had momentous games there with big crowds but that’s not the fault of the arena. Just imagine if we’d got back to the Premier league the year after the Ricoh was built, we’d have more great memories and would love the place. Look at our neighbours along the M69 and ask them if they regret the move from Filbert Street.
If a new ground were to be built at Warwick Uni I would think it would probably be smaller in size and would presumably be owned by Sisu/Uni so our club would still be renting.
Hit the nail on the head.

Sick Boy

Again, apart from it’s owned by a London rugby club and it means that the club would never actually have a ground of its own and makes it even harder for the club to be sold.

The Philosopher

I am surprised why there are so many people who are not keen on Ricoh Arena. Its a great stadium, 32 000+ capacity with perfect views. Should Coventry City get back to the higher echelons of English football again its much more suitable and also actually exists rather than some idea that may not happen and if it ever did would be much smaller and likely too small and years away.

When I speak to other people who have been from other clubs they think its a great stadium as do I. Once (if) we have the right owners and doing better as a team , it will be fine and money will talk (football is massive compared to rugby). Seems to me a lot of people have forgotten who have been the problem . I honestly don't want to start a massive thread on why's and who's top blame thread that we have gone through so much before.
I think a lot of people go to a football match for the experience and atmosphere rather than the “perfect views”; after all, if one wants perfect views they can simply get iFollow on a big screen.

I just think the Ricoh is a product of 25 year old design - things have changed.

We have a perfect storm in terms of opportunity right now: post pandemic we will have a government focusing on infrastructure, green development and jobs.

Get solar panels on the stand roofs and wind turbines powering the floodlights. Students will love the idealism of an eco friendly stadium. Electric buses park and ride (literally, get fans on the campus Boris bikes) - all that type of thing.

The thing is, if SISU use their brains, they can use their intangible asset (fan base that creates revenue and footfall) to create a tangible one (a stadium that balanced their books on paper) as well as their own brand (“the SISU Arena - worlds most eco friendly stadium).

In terms of atmosphere- the Ricoh is rubbish.

Build a stadium than can be expanded upwards, be used for student games etc etc.

And more importantly, can be used for rock concerts and festivals that students will go to.

The Ricoh?

No ta.

Magwitch1

I think a lot of people go to a football match for the experience and atmosphere rather than the “perfect views”; after all, if one wants perfect views they can simply get iFollow on a big screen.

I just think the Ricoh is a product of 25 year old design - things have changed.

We have a perfect storm in terms of opportunity right now: post pandemic we will have a government focusing on infrastructure, green development and jobs.

Get solar panels on the stand roofs and wind turbines powering the floodlights. Students will love the idealism of an eco friendly stadium. Electric buses park and ride (literally, get fans on the campus Boris bikes) - all that type of thing.

The thing is, if SISU use their brains, they can use their intangible asset (fan base that creates revenue and footfall) to create a tangible one (a stadium that balanced their books on paper) as well as their own brand (“the SISU Arena - worlds most eco friendly stadium).

Build a stadium than can be expanded upwards, be used for student games etc etc.

And more importantly, can be used for rock concerts and festivals that students will go to.

The Ricoh?

No ta.
Can’t fall out with all the above ideas only problem is sisu have no intention of building a new stadium at Warwick Uni. or anywhere else. It’s Ricoh or nothing.

SBT

The Ricoh?

No ta.

These plans for a new stadium with a ‘sustainable’ public transport plan, expandable capacity and the possibility of holding concerts are so exciting, I did a mock-up design:

1614762787734.jpeg

This one has a retractable pitch too!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The Ricoh?

No ta.

I agree with the idea - like you I'm trying to feel positive about the post-Covid era and the opportunities that it provides to change the way we do things.

But in reality I see very little happening - it's a Conservative govt and they're called Conservative for a reason - sweeping change is not something they're into. They just want everything to go back to how it was before, partly because they like familiarity and partly because many of those within the party are heavily invested in things like offices, uni accommodation etc that the changes brought about by this pandemic threaten with home working etc. I mean in this supposed 'green revolution' we've just agreed to open a coal mine FFS.

I'd love to see stuff like solar panels, wind turbines etc making us more energy self-sufficient but they're going to be painfully slow about doing that unless their backers invest heavily in stuff like that at which point it'd be full systems go, but for all the wrong reasons. Besides which everything is cost engineered and adding stuff like that ups the cost, so it'd just be put on the grid to save money.

The Ricoh was designed to have a green transport plan - the train station, buses for matches, limited parking to force people onto mass transit or to walk if local, heavy parking restrictions in nearby areas. Fact is the uni site would be just the same. All the plans for public travel are in place but how long will it be before they actually happen?

Oh for an Ian Gibson.

The Ricoh?

No ta.
Great ideas in theory, a couple of flaws though, the only time it could be used for concerts and festivals would be the close season and that’s when all the students have gone home. Secondly and this is a major problem, it’ll never get built.

Sick Boy

I’m sure plans were put in to push back the road behind sky blue stand and increase capacity of that stand , but the council wouldn’t give permission.
Yeah sounds familiar and not much of a surprise. At the time though there was little to no remorse about leaving HR.
Probably the biggest mistake in our history.

Magwitch1

I’m sure plans were put in to push back the road behind sky blue stand and increase capacity of that stand , but the council wouldn’t give permission.
There was a plan to shorten Thackall Street turn HR round with the main stand being behind the goal and wrap around stands being built, would have been ideal I reckon but profiteering with that land for some for housing took precedence.[/QUOTE]

lordy_87

Would anyone seriously think the Ricoh was an awful stadium if it was full every week? You can make arguments about the location, lack of pubs etc but as a stadium it is great. It's only awful because of the bad memories and fact it's usuallya third full with seas of empty seats. The atmosphere when it's full (ie against Gillingham) is brilliant.

PUSB-We_are_going_up

Would anyone seriously think the Ricoh was an awful stadium if it was full every week? You can make arguments about the location, lack of pubs etc but as a stadium it is great. It's only awful because of the bad memories and fact it's usuallya third full with seas of empty seats. The atmosphere when it's full (ie against Gillingham) is brilliant.
It is draining with the lack of an atmosphere and I hope now that we are in a better league and are better overall the atmosphere will come back

PUSB-We_are_going_up

A good atmosphere can be generated even will fairly smallish crowds. Like during the first half of the Mowbray season, it just needs a good team to galvanize the fans.
Last season we made a bit more noise but not enough in my opinion we need more I want us to be known for being a good team with the loudest supporters

chiefdave

Would anyone seriously think the Ricoh was an awful stadium if it was full every week?
Depends, if it was the shitshow we've seen previously then we'd be constantly having delayed kicks off, people missing a big chunk of the game and food & beer running out before the game had even kicked off.

Get your point, there's been nothing to celebrate at the Ricoh, but the whole match day experience is pretty lousy.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Hope we never play at the Ricoh again. Awful, awful stadium.

Amazing difference of opinion here but I guess that's what make the world interesting.
I have been to 2/3 thirds of the stadiums in England and quite a lot elsewhere in Europe and worldwide throughout my travels.
Ricoh Arena is a very good stadium in comparison.
I would be absolutely delighted to see us back home at Ricoh Arena.

Last edited:

Kneeza

Lofty Lee, one of the few masters I had a huge respect for.
Did amazing groundworks around the school with his team of lads that struggled a bit academically. Hats off to eachvand everyone of them.
Agreed.
(I'll raise you Bernard Tranter though).

Gregbant

I think the equivalent of owning half with Wasps, whatever guise that comes. Is the best we could hope for.

Grendel

I think the equivalent of owning half with Wasps, whatever guise that comes. Is the best we could hope for.

Its not even possible

Gregbant

Its not even possible
I imagine a straight purchase of 40-50% would be very complicated and Wasps association with the Council would also be problematic.
A long term rental like 10 years or more with shared access to revenues is probably the best that can be hoped for.

Users who are viewing this thread